Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In certain situations I can see how these would come into play. The Bond Arms 357 Magnum 2 Round Derringer is such a fun fun ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Derringers and North American Arms for concealment: What’s your thoughts?

In certain situations I can see how these would come into play. The Bond Arms 357 Magnum 2 Round Derringer is such a fun fun to shoot. Recoil is nothing as I have tried it with 38 Special, 38 +P and 357 Magnum with 125gr and 158gr bullets, respectively.

I carry my North American Arms a lot, as a backup gun or for discrete carry alongside a Sig Sauer P365.

What are your thoughts or approach to these novelties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    LimaCharlie and MMinSC like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Fairly certain with the NAA is better for you to carry some round noses in it instead of hollow points, because a .22 out of a pistol wont get any expansion at all. Nice guns however, I heard of someone using a NAA as a "swimsuit gun" because it was stainless steel and they didn't worry about it getting wet, but that seems a little too far fetched for me.
    CDRGlock, drmordo and baren like this.

I have always wanted a derringer, but have never justified one for carry. My pocket-carry is a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine which is about the same size and weight as a derringer. I own an NAA-22M which I carry in my sweat pants in the winter or my swim trunks/shorts in the summer until I shower and get dressed. It doesn't pull my pants down and there are other guns available around the house. I occasionally carry the NAA-22M for deep cover when the Sig P938 is too large.

I am comfortable when I am carrying a 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. I am uncomfortable carrying just the Sig P938 9mm and even more so carrying just the NAA-22M outside the house. I am a go big or stay home guy.
    CDRGlock, msgt/ret and M1911A1 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It’s always good to have options.
    And an interesting belt buckle.
    -aaf7b3e6-561e-41ae-bf00-c12a39e82f51.jpeg
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

The only time I ever even considered spending any money on a derringer was when I did Cowboy Action Shooting matches. They had an event for "vest pocket guns" and it was understood that meant a derringer. I have never considered one for carry - even as a third string backup to the backup.
    CDRGlock and drmordo like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I think they're outdated novelty guns in a world of reliable micro guns that fit in a pocket.

My guns go from big to little. Alexander Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf and NAA-22M.

-big-little.jpg
    CDRGlock and Armybrat like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    I think they're outdated novelty guns in a world of reliable micro guns that fit in a pocket.
    ^^^This. Carry what you'd like, but there are lighter options with more shots available.
    CDRGlock likes this.

The only derringer I would carry or hold out like that would be a Hi stander derringer way lighter and slimer and DAO no need to cock

I really really dont like the Bond arms guns had owned a lot of them and sold them pretty quick ..Heavy bulky nasty recoil just not fun .

The NAA stuff is ok but you are only getting a few shoots and a pain to reload unless you get on the pricy break top models ..I rather have a semi auto like a 1908 or baby browing

Edit to add if the bond arms were made DAO no safty just a heavy trigger I would love them ..The idea of a last ditch gun that require you to cock the hammer and push a safty bar is silly imop ..Why I like the hi stander guns slim sleek no safty no mess just pull and fire

Why a lot of leos back in the 70-80 carried them as back up could have them in a jacket pocket or what have you and be talking to somone it goes wrong they can just pull the trigger bang bang there you go
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    They are obsolete guns that are novelties.

Nothing against them, but I would not rely on them for a self defense weapon. Unless they were my only choice. Which they aren't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

An NAA Mini has been my most frequently carried weapon over the past 20 years.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Whether or not some people dislike them, they have a place for others.
    I do like the NAA minis and have carried them in the past.
    CDRGlock and Texron like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I prefer my LCP. It is very light, compact, and easy to conceal with better firepower for it's size. I find the mini-revolvers & derringers awkward to operate under stress. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Better options that weigh less, have more rounds, and are easier to CC.
    CDRGlock, 5lima30ret and M1911A1 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

My NAA Mini is my pajamas/swimsuit gun. The folding grip makes it MUCH easier to shoot.
    CDRGlock and LimaCharlie like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links