Sig 1911 ultra compact....good or ?

This is a discussion on Sig 1911 ultra compact....good or ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had one follow me home and I like everything but the checkering on the front of the grip. Itís sharp enough to cut a finger ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Sig 1911 ultra compact....good or ?

Had one follow me home and I like everything but the checkering on the front of the grip. Itís sharp enough to cut a finger or two. Is this normal for this gun? I like the wood grips but I might have to look at after market after I shoot it. Also reading about mag issues, most threads I have read say to go with Wilson 8 rd. Would like to hear your thoughts....Thanks,

Senior Moderator
    The front strap checkering is a desirable feature on any 1911, more so on smaller or lightweight guns especially in .45. Those guns will try to move in your hand, and the checkering really helps keep them in place.

My first 1911 with front strap checkering was a Kimber Custom CDP II, essentially Kimber's rendition of a Lightweight Commander with a melt job and some nice features. I ran that gun through a serious 2-day training course with close to 1000 rounds required. Moving from a full-size 1911 to this piece - 10 oz lighter - made me appreciate the checkering on the front strap.

I will say it takes a little getting used to, and while 500 rounds a day would be a pretty rough introduction, frequent (like daily) dry fire practice will get your hands used to that grip in no time at all.

For aftermarket grips, I'm sold on VZ for 1911s - I've got three that wear them. The primary .45 competition gun has their most aggressive pattern, which was initially like gripping a bed of nails - almost painful, but highly effective! For the 9mm I chose a more moderate pattern that still offered a firm grip but which didn't require lots of getting used to. Check out their website and see what they offer.

Likewise, I'm sold on Wilson mags for 1911s in .45, having tried numerous brands. I can't tell from the Sig info if the grip on your gun is the same as a Commander or full-size 1911, but if it is, the 8-round mags are the way to go. For carry purposes I prefer the 47D, but that has a base pad that extends 1/4" past flush. That doesn't bother me with respect to concealability, but that may concern some.
    taltexan, OD*, M1911A1 and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by taltexan View Post
    Had one follow me home and I like everything but the checkering on the front of the grip. Itís sharp enough to cut a finger or two. Is this normal for this gun? I like the wood grips but I might have to look at after market after I shoot it. Also reading about mag issues, most threads I have read say to go with Wilson 8 rd. Would like to hear your thoughts....Thanks,
    When you say 8 round mags I assume you have the 9mm? Is it the front strap frame checkering that bothers you or the actual wood grip panels?
    I have a smooth front strap on my lightweight commander 45 and I like it that way. I guess I got used to that with my old Sig P220 pistols. My grip panels are very similar to your Sig as well.
    taltexan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If the front-strap checkering is too rough, you could knock its sharp points down a little bit with some careful file work.
    Then, assuming a blued gun, you could just add some good-quality cold blue.

As gasmitty pointed out, checkering on the front strap is very important. To that I add that either checkering or striations on the mainspring housing (of a 1911) is equally important.
    The important points of controlóon a 1911 frame especially, but on other semi-auto pistols tooóare the front strap and the back strap. The grip panels do not need to be textured. They don't do much. And, in the case of a 1911, such texturing may even get in the way of quickly punching the magazine release to make a reload.
    taltexan likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    When you say 8 round mags I assume you have the 9mm? Is it the front strap frame checkering that bothers you or the actual wood grip panels?
    I have a smooth front strap on my lightweight commander 45 and I like it that way. I guess I got used to that with my old Sig P220 pistols. My grip panels are very similar to your Sig as well.
    No, itís a 45. Sig mags are 7 rd but most say to use 8 rd Wilsonís. Iím going to call Wilson in the morning to find out about the 7 vs 8 rd.
    Iím use to the P series with the ribbed frame. The grips are fine. Iíll shoot it tomorrow and see if I am worried about nothing.
    forester58 and airslot like this.

The front strap checkering is a desirable feature on any 1911, more so on smaller or lightweight guns especially in .45. Those guns will try to move in your hand, and the checkering really helps keep them in place.

Thanks, Gasmitty....this is my first 1911 so if itís that snappy the sharp checkering would help. I shot the P220 and Glock 30s without a lot of issues. The 30 to me is the easiest 45 I have used as far as recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    If the front-strap checkering is too rough, you could knock its sharp points down a little bit with some careful file work.
    Then, assuming a blued gun, you could just add some good-quality cold blue.

As gasmitty pointed out, checkering on the front strap is very important. To that I add that either checkering or striations on the mainspring housing (of a 1911) is equally important.
    The important points of controlóon a 1911 frame especially, but on other semi-auto pistols tooóare the front strap and the back strap. The grip panels do not need to be textured. They don't do much. And, in the case of a 1911, such texturing may even get in the way of quickly punching the magazine release to make a reload.
    If it really digs in I might get out the file...lol

Had an .45 Ultra for about 3 years now. The checkering on the front strap is a big plus to me, I like the grip it gives. The Wilson 7 round mags work well and I use them most of the time but no issues after break in on the OEM mags. I've used LOK grips on it just to have some variation, nothing wrong with rosewood. Very accurate for a small 1911.

Administrator
    Coarse front strap checkering.

Get a firmer grip on the pistol & notice the difference.
    Grip it like the bad guy is running toward you ready to cave your head in with a ball bat.
    Because that's exactly the way you're going going to be gripping it if the bad guy really is running toward you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by taltexan View Post
    No, itís a 45. Sig mags are 7 rd but most say to use 8 rd Wilsonís. Iím going to call Wilson in the morning to find out about the 7 vs 8 rd.
    Iím use to the P series with the ribbed frame. The grips are fine. Iíll shoot it tomorrow and see if I am worried about nothing.
    OK, but, why get mags that hang out that much when you bought an "ultra compact" I assume for conceal ability? Plus they will not bottom out on the frame and jamming them in may cause issues for wear since the mag release is all they have to stop on. I have never cared about front strap checkering on any gun but, that is just me. I never found my lightweight commander to move in my hands at all even with 255 grain +P ammo. It might help on a two finger gun but, doesn't buy me anything on a full grip sidearm.To each their own I suppose.
    Kilowatt3, JD and airslot like this.

taltexan Hitting all the forums out of fear ! Go shoot 50 or 100 rounds your ultra before you start fretting over the checkering and decide how baby bottom soft or how manly tough you paws are first . Might be your whining for nut'n .

Please do not take a file to the checkering.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Please do not take a file to the checkering.
    Lol, no I would not. If I donít like the grip it will leave the stable.

Thanks for all the comments, Iíll know shortly
    airslot, Bad Bob and OD* like this.

I had an Ultra in 9mm and it was a great shooter. My only complaint was I thought it was heavy for a small gun. It was one of several 1911s and I traded it for a P365. If the checkering really bothers you try shooting with gloves at the range. During a self-defense incident you won't notice the checkering at all.
    taltexan and M1911A1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
    ...During a self-defense incident you won't notice the checkering at all.
    That's the real truth!
    taltexan, OD* and sparkyfender like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links