Springfield Hellcat- broken striker - Page 2

Springfield Hellcat- broken striker

This is a discussion on Springfield Hellcat- broken striker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; @ Kilowatt3 : I take your point, and I agree with you, but we are in a buyers' market for defensive handguns right now. (I ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Springfield Hellcat- broken striker

@Kilowatt3 : I take your point, and I agree with you, but we are in a buyers' market for defensive handguns right now. (I am not talking about range and hunting guns) People are free to buy or not buy a certain model based on whatever criteria they want. For instance:
    • Cost: The one time cost of a gun, at least within a few hundred dollars, can be seen as pretty irrelevant. It is a one-time purchase that your life depends on.
    • Looks: Looks are irrelevant to the function of a gun. But a lot of people make decisions on that basis.
    • Military and police use: I know a guy who buys a lot of guns who won't buy a brand of gun that has not been used by major US military and police organizations. So he doesn't trust a Ruger, CZ, EAA or anything made in Israel, even though those are used in foreign militaries with success. I don't think he is alone.
    • Use in movies and TV: People who will go out and buy whatever John Wick was using in his latest movie, etc.

Back in the day, it was Colt or Smith, maybe Browning. And if there were problems with a new model of those, you didn't hear about it. An example is the Smith M39 9mm. The publications would not talk about failures with the early models. But the word got around in police circles and a lot of cops wouldn't touch them for years. So even when it wasn't a buyers' market the phenomenon you describe was true to some extent.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    [Not directed at anyone in particular]

Seriously??? Two failures, documented on an Internet web site, would convince someone not to buy a gun???

Would you fly in a Boeing 737? OMG! There have been DOZENS of fatal crashes, killing hundreds, since the B737 was introduced! Same goes for the DC-9.
    How about the Airbus 320; one of the safest airliners ever made? ~1400 deaths in 17 fatal accidents.

Would you ride in a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge pickup truck? OMG! There have been hundreds of reported brake, tire, or suspension failures resulting in fatal accidents!

Ever talked on a cell phone while driving? If so, you exposed yourself to a far greater chance of being killed, than your chance of getting killed due to a defective Hellcat, or any other firearm, for that matter.

But gee, a couple of posts about gun failures rule out buying that model?

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a Hellcat, either, but it's because I don't care for Croatian Hrvatski Samokres pistols, and it appears the Hellcat was rushed into production to compete with the P365.

Hope you're not relying on a Glock, S&W, Colt, HK, Ruger, Beretta, Kimber, Taurus, Kel-Tec, Bersa, Browning, CZ, FN, Dan Wesson, Remington, Charter Arms, Kahr, or Walther. According to the Internet, they're all junk.

Whatever pistol you choose, you can find several Internet accounts to prove that your selection is junk. Get real!
    Kind of what i was thinking....I can find Broken Glocks...Broken Shields...Kahrs,Sigs etc etc
    It all depends on how bad you want to talk yourself out of something.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    [Not directed at anyone in particular]

Seriously??? Two failures, documented on an Internet web site, would convince someone not to buy a gun???

Would you fly in a Boeing 737? OMG! There have been DOZENS of fatal crashes, killing hundreds, since the B737 was introduced! Same goes for the DC-9.
    How about the Airbus 320; one of the safest airliners ever made? ~1400 deaths in 17 fatal accidents.

Would you ride in a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge pickup truck? OMG! There have been hundreds of reported brake, tire, or suspension failures resulting in fatal accidents!

Ever talked on a cell phone while driving? If so, you exposed yourself to a far greater chance of being killed, than your chance of getting killed due to a defective Hellcat, or any other firearm, for that matter.

But gee, a couple of posts about gun failures rule out buying that model?

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a Hellcat, either, but it's because I don't care for Croatian Hrvatski Samokres pistols, and it appears the Hellcat was rushed into production to compete with the P365.

Hope you're not relying on a Glock, S&W, Colt, HK, Ruger, Beretta, Kimber, Taurus, Kel-Tec, Bersa, Browning, CZ, FN, Dan Wesson, Remington, Charter Arms, Kahr, or Walther. According to the Internet, they're all junk.

Whatever pistol you choose, you can find several Internet accounts to prove that your selection is junk. Get real!
    You know, I'm going to take your screed as a genuine question. I do not buy v1.0 software - ever. That policy has saved me thousands of hours and dollars over the years. I let others buy newly designed weapons and watch to see what systemic problems they have. Why? Because unlike the software my life may hang in the balance on the proper operation of the weapon. That is why I will not own a weapon that has repeated failures reported that other weapons in the same class do not have reported. Have a great day.
    Wavygravy and Marc_Brooks like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Does anyone REALLY need to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release? There are bound to be a few bugs. Give the manufacturer time to work them out, THEN buy it. If you need a gun right now, there are lots of alternative.
    10thmtn, Obiwan and rch27834 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    You know, I'm going to take your screed as a genuine question. I do not buy v1.0 software - ever. That policy has saved me thousands of hours and dollars over the years. I let others buy newly designed weapons and watch to see what systemic problems they have. Why? Because unlike the software my life may hang in the balance on the proper operation of the weapon. That is why I will not own a weapon that has repeated failures reported that other weapons in the same class do not have reported. Have a great day.
    Wouldn't the best way to be to find out for yourself...Get out and run a few hundred rounds of different ammo
    and brands?....Sure beats the heck out of taking someone else's word ford for it.

Wouldn't the best way to be to find out for yourself...Get out and run a few hundred rounds of different ammo
    and brands?....Sure beats the heck out of taking someone else's word ford for it...

I will use Glock for example...Everyone says how great and reliable they are...But i am not gonna buy one and trust
    every person who posts on a forum or you tube (Good or Bad) enough to skip running enough rounds myself until i am satisfied.

There are way too many factors that can contribute to someone slamming on any gun.
    wmhawth and BamaT like this.

To moderators...My Post showed up twice one full post and one only part of it?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    and brands?....Sure beats the heck out of taking someone else's word ford for it...

I will use Glock for example...Everyone says how great and reliable they are...But i am not gonna buy one and trust
    every person who posts on a forum or you tube (Good or Bad) enough to skip running enough rounds myself until i am satisfied.

There are way too many factors that can contribute to someone slamming on any gun.
    Nope. Not gonna be the test pilot on my own dime for new designs, sorry. If a weapons manufacturer wants to send me a weapon to test for them on their dime then I'd be open to doing so. But, why would I put my life on the line to test out a new weapon AND pay my own money for the "privilege" of doing so? As I said earlier in the thread: I own two SC 9mm pistols (PPS & P99c) and neither has any drag marks on the primers. Drag marks mean that the firing pin (striker) is getting lateral and/or torsional stresses that increase the likelihood of the tip breaking thereby rendering the weapon worse than useless. No thanks. Next.
    Wavygravy and forester58 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Oh Glock 26, how do I love thee...
    Looks like the thread with the discussion about smith and wesson needing to have an “answer” for this gun isn’t going to age well.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Does anyone REALLY need to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release? There are bound to be a few bugs. Give the manufacturer time to work them out, THEN buy it. If you need a gun right now, there are lots of alternative.

Yes, someone REALLY needs to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release, otherwise, how else would we know if there were any bugs that needed to be worked out?

Just kidding.

I will not buy a gun in it's first year of existence, again. I have been guilty of that a time or two.

I bought a Kimber k6s that the first 3 numbers of the 6 number serial number are 006. I hadn't even heard of the K6s yet, but I saw it at Cabelas one day and bought it on the spot because it just felt like such a high quality revolver. It seems to have turned out alright.

I was planning on getting a 365, but now I will probably wait another year and get the Hellcat, unless S&W comes out with the 12 round shield 3.0, then I'll have to wait another year. Lol.
    MMinSC likes this.

Nope. Not gonna be the test pilot on my own dime for new designs, sorry. If a weapons manufacturer wants to send me a weapon to test for them on their dime then I'd be open to doing so. But, why would I put my life on the line to test out a new weapon AND pay my own money for the "privilege" of doing so? As I said earlier in the thread: I own two SC 9mm pistols (PPS & P99c) and neither has any drag marks on the primers. Drag marks mean that the firing pin (striker) is getting lateral and/or torsional stresses that increase the likelihood of the tip breaking thereby rendering the weapon worse than useless. No thanks. Next.
    So you would trust a gun that has been out a couple years based on what everyone else says?
    Do you run numerous rounds through any gun to see if a problem arises for yourself...Just in case
    you get a bad gun that everyone else raves about?

Just trying to understand the logic of believing what you read as end all be all.

The Walther PPS has a great reputation and i own one...and i
    found that out myself... But i know i can dig up some bad stuff on it as well
    even after has been out this long and got it back from a voluntary recall.

Speaking of the M2 here not the first version.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Yes, someone REALLY needs to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release, otherwise, how else would we know if there were any bugs that needed to be worked out?

Just kidding.

I will not buy a gun in it's first year of existence, again. I have been guilty of that a time or two.

I bought a Kimber k6s that the first 3 numbers of the 6 number serial number are 006. I hadn't even heard of the K6s yet, but I saw it at Cabelas one day and bought it on the spot because it just felt like such a high quality revolver. It seems to have turned out alright.

I was planning on getting a 365, but now I will probably wait another year and get the Hellcat, unless S&W comes out with the 12 round shield 3.0, then I'll have to wait another year. Lol.
    I don't trust any of them rather they have been out 6 months or 10 yrs until i get my own grubby hands on one myself.
    I guess i am not a very trusting person.

You're kidding but your right. Someone has to take one for the team

I think at this point the P365 is GTG. It went through it's shakedown and came out the other side better. If I was in the market for a single stack-ish subcompact 9mm right now, that would be my choice. But I'm one of the oddballs who likes safeties, and it has it.

And I'm interested to see what S&W and Glock do. Glock had a weak response with the G43x, but I think they'll need to do better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post

Just kidding.

Wavygravy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Small sampling of Youtube videos available for concluding the quality of the follow firearms:

Glock 19 Gen 3 Erratic shell Ejection Fix
    GLOCK GEN 4 PROBLEMS? WATCH THIS!!
    Glock 19 Gen 4 ejector problem

Walther PPQ M2 9mm Malfunction & Problems
    Walther CCP pistol - manufacturing problems and safety issues
    Walther CCP Safety Recall

3 Problems With My Ruger Security 9 Compact !
    Ruger PC carbine. PROBLEMS
    Ruger Redhawk FAIL!

Smith & Wesson Sucks!
    S&w SW1911SC 4.25" PROBLEM
    S&W 638 Cylinder Hangup

The supply is endless............
    There really is nothing to know from a few reports of issues. Like cars, all brands and models of firearms have some problem guns. Unless you know percent of units that have a problem and can compare that with the average of all others, there is no way to generalize any problem reported. Once in a while you get lucky and run across something like the first run of the Remington R51 and the evidence is overwhelming. Time will tell how the Hellcat stacks up.

In the meantime, pick the firearm brand you most like, then enjoy the almost unlimited supply of youtube videos casting aspersions on it.
    Double Naught Spy likes this.

In the end it only matters what you think... If a gun does right by the person buying it.
    All the negative and also positive reviews mean nothing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links