Springfield Hellcat- broken striker - Page 3

Springfield Hellcat- broken striker

This is a discussion on Springfield Hellcat- broken striker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glocks fail too. Does that make them crap?...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Springfield Hellcat- broken striker

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Glocks fail too. Does that make them crap?

All roads lead to Glock.

Ex Member
    I think one can make a judgement from two reports in this thread: 1) the broken striker, and 2) the primer drag. The P365 had both initially. Sis denied that there was anything wrong. But they have redesigned the striker twice so new guns are on striker version 3. The P365 striker problem showed up after the guns had had some use. That is the issue for me. Same symptoms as the P365 make me assume that it might fail if and when I need it. For me to is just not worth the risk at this time. If time tells a different story that could change my mind, but right now I think the Hellcat seems like a Pearly P365 waiting to happen.

I applied the same standard to my PPS M2. I planned to Puy on early on but waited a while and then the problem happened and they had to recall guns. Once that was declared fixed I waited a year before buying one. I do not ever want to buy a gun that has a built in defect. I wait until they get it right.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I bought one and will do my own testing when I get it. If I see issues, I obviously will contact the manufacturer. Same way I did with one of my many m&pís. Same way Iím doing currently with one of my STI 2011ís. The reason ďback in the dayĒ you didnít hear of problems is because they didnít have the World Wide Web and all of the social forums you have today. Between social media and YouTube, you can find bad reviews on about anything out there. Should have mine by Friday. Iíll report here with my first range day report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good points on here. I made the comment #13 about the brands I've had with no issues. Let me clarify that the Berettas are the 92 and 96. Sigs are the 229 and 226. I purchased a Shield after it was out approximately 3 years. Anything can malfunction but some seem to have alot more issues right out the gate. I know plenty of people that have the P365 with zero issues. It just had too many issues back to back for my peace of mind. Maybe after a few more years I'd give it a look. Maybe the same will be said for the Hellcat. Personally I don't buy a newly designed gun until I see all the bugs have been worked out. Same can be said for lots of things.

Mattmann likes this.

VIP Member
    I have never been an early adaptor of any guns. I am surprised though after what Sig went through with the broken strikers on the P365 that the Hellcat may have similar issues. But I'm not going assume that is the case based on such a limited amount of data as one broken striker and one cracked feed ramp.

I'll give the Hellcat a year or two to manifest any issues, have them corrected, and for more market saturation to drive down the prices. I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of putting an RDS on my EDC.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I work in Product Development and know the pressures to release a product. I can't and won't say that the Hellcat is a bad design, but it seems like a reactive design cycle to try and compete with the P365. Therefore, I'm thinking there was a lot of pressure to release quickly and speed up testing and acceptance along the way. With that in mind I expect some bumps in the road for the early Hellcats, but hopefully SA can make solid adjustments and work it into a dependable design.

I had carried a G26 for 5 years when the P365 came out and I watched the growing pains with that design and waited for about a year before buying one after I had a solid feel that the issues were ironed out. The difference between the P365 and the Hellcat is that the P365 was a new concept that was developed and launched first and the Hellcat is a reactive development project that is a response to that new concept. I imagine the Hellcat was launched quickly (probably to get it out in time for Holiday buyers). Therefore I'm sure it is going to have as many or more issues than the Sig and I personally would be very wary of buying one until these problems are identified and worked out.

Review I just read online. Again, I know you can see reviews leaning both ways but the vast majority Iíve seen are positive. Iíll HOPEFULLY be testing mine out this Black Friday. Iíll try and put a few hundred rounds in it and monitor striker marks and all. Iíll update yíall soon!!

MMinSC and Rockymonster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I bought one and will do my own testing when I get it. If I see issues, I obviously will contact the manufacturer. Same way I did with one of my many m&pís. Same way Iím doing currently with one of my STI 2011ís. The reason ďback in the dayĒ you didnít hear of problems is because they didnít have the World Wide Web and all of the social forums you have today. Between social media and YouTube, you can find bad reviews on about anything out there. Should have mine by Friday. Iíll report here with my first range day report.

Probably be fine. The hysteria over the 365 issues was pretty overblown compared to the amount of pistols that were sold.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    All roads lead to Glock.
    Only if you start out on MLK Boulevard.

Go to the nice part of town and the roads end with Colts and vintage S&W revolvers.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Probably be fine. The hysteria over the 365 issues was pretty overblown compared to the amount of pistols that were sold.
    Agreed. Out of the 4-5 people I know that have these, 0 have had any issues.

MMinSC, CAS_Shooter and stingray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Only if you start out on MLK Boulevard.

Go to the nice part of town and the roads end with Colts and vintage S&W revolvers.
    Lol, dats some racist s**t right dear :)
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I think one can make a judgement from two reports in this thread: 1) the broken striker, and 2) the primer drag. The P365 had both initially. Sis denied that there was anything wrong. But they have redesigned the striker twice so new guns are on striker version 3. The P365 striker problem showed up after the guns had had some use. That is the issue for me. Same symptoms as the P365 make me assume that it might fail if and when I need it. For me to is just not worth the risk at this time. If time tells a different story that could change my mind, but right now I think the Hellcat seems like a Pearly P365 waiting to happen.

I applied the same standard to my PPS M2. I planned to Puy on early on but waited a while and then the problem happened and they had to recall guns. Once that was declared fixed I waited a year before buying one. I do not ever want to buy a gun that has a built in defect. I wait until they get it right.
    Yeah the P220 can't be trusted either, what with that primer drag issue:

MMinSC and Big Western like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah the P220 can't be trusted either, what with that primer drag issue:

Many Shields have primer drag as well. Might as well throw them away.
    stingray and gasmitty like this.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Many Shields have primer drag as well. Might as well throw them away.
    Lots of guns have primer drag.
    Wavygravy, Mattmann and gasmitty like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links