Glock 43x owners-Is it meeting expectations? Pros/Cons - Page 4

Glock 43x owners-Is it meeting expectations? Pros/Cons

This is a discussion on Glock 43x owners-Is it meeting expectations? Pros/Cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stingray Because the 43x/48 mags are as wide as they are, is why Shield Arms is suppose to be releasing the 15 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Glock 43x owners-Is it meeting expectations? Pros/Cons

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Because the 43x/48 mags are as wide as they are, is why Shield Arms is suppose to be releasing the 15 round magazines for the guns. We'll see if they ever make it into public hands.
    They already released the magazines.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I donít want all metal mags in my Glocks. The steel reinforced polymer mags are one big reason Glocks are as reliable as they are. The polymer cushions the steel while the steel adds strength.

Giving that up to carry a few more rounds is a poor trade off.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I donít want all metal mags in my Glocks. The steel reinforced polymer mags are one big reason Glocks are as reliable as they are. The polymer cushions the steel while the steel adds strength.

How has that increased reliability been measured? Springfield, Sig, and s&w have all been successful with all metal mags, and magpul has been very successful with all polymer mags.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

JD
    Administrator
    Factory Glock mags tend to take drops on hard surfaces better than all steel mags so if I were shooting a lot of indoor matches I wouldn't use a steel Glock mag but in terms of carry, a 50% increase in the onboard magazine is a pretty big benefit and brings a very slim G48 / 43X back up to the Glock 19 in capacity.

The outer polymer layer doesn't add much in terms of reliability in general.

So if a person with small hands wants Glock 19 capacity but can't make a G19 work without a grip reduction. A G48 and a $40 mag is a really nice, more cost effective option.
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar

Attachment 307656
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    So Glock copied a gun that has been made for years and years. Big whoop.

And SIG copied Glock with its Striker-fired, polymer pistols but stole a patent from Steyr along the way.

Oh, my...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Factory Glock mags tend to take drops on hard surfaces better than all steel mags so if I were shooting a lot of indoor matches I wouldn't use a steel Glock mag but in terms of carry, a 50% increase in the onboard magazine is a pretty big benefit and brings a very slim G48 / 43X back up to the Glock 19 in capacity.

So if a person with small hands wants Glock 19 capacity but can't make a G19 work without a grip reduction. A G48 and a $40 mag is a really nice, more cost effective option.
    This times a gazillion. Add to that a skinnier profile makes for a sweet AIWB or OWV carry piece (or in my wife's case, she would now have G19 capacity in a skinnier firearm, making for an excellent home defense piece for her.
    JD likes this.

I own a 48. Good reliable platform. 11 round of gold dot and I feel pretty safe. It carries nice. I had to raise my holster a little because the muzzle wanted to push on my hip a little more than I wanted it to. The 43x May have been a better choice in that regard.

I get a kick out of the Sig vs Glock back and forth

Sig guys: Capacity vs foot print

Glock guys: But broken strikers though.

And the S&W guys must be out shooting the crap out of their shields.

I donít mind a two fingered grip but I want my whole two fingers on there and couldnít with the sig or the 43 for that matter. The 43x 48 I can get 3 finger grip on but still have to break it slightly to change mags. The 48 is right at the same foot print as a CCO 1911 and that is a great size for a carry gun. The Glock I have has been 100% reliable and thatís good enough for me.
    JD, Wavygravy and forester58 like this.

For all of those considering the new metal magazine... you will require a metal magazine release or the metal mag will eventually wear down the OEM polymer one.

And vice versa.

You may be better off making s choice and staying with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

I was harder on my Sig mags than any other pistol mag Iíve used and never had and problems with them being dropped on concrete. If this is a problem it seems like a slightly thicker metal, at least around the feed lips would be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    How has that increased reliability been measured? Springfield, Sig, and s&w have all been successful with all metal mags, and magpul has been very successful with all polymer mags.
    Glock mags are famous for their ability to take drops onto concrete without damaging the feed lips, due to the soft polymer coating over the metal.

Iím much less concerned dropping my Glock mags than any other mags, be they all steel, or all polymer.

I'm just gonna and see how this plays out...
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Glock mags are famous for their ability to take drops onto concrete without damaging the feed lips, due to the soft polymer coating over the metal.

Iím much less concerned dropping my Glock mags than any other mags, be they all steel, or all polymer.

Glock mags have been by far the most reliable magazines I've had but I could care less about damaging the magazine / magazine's feed lips in a self-defense firearm. Now, that said...when my S-15 Mags come in I'll be using them in a weekend course where I expect to do a ton of mag drops for reloads and I will not be babying them at all.
    10thmtn, JD, MMinSC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Glock mags have been by far the most reliable magazines I've had but I could care less about damaging the magazine / magazine's feed lips in a self-defense firearm. Now, that said...when my S-15 Mags come in I'll be using them in a weekend course where I expect to do a ton of mag drops for reloads and I will not be babying them at all.
    I agree the ability to repeatedly drop mags onto concrete has nothing to do with the overall reliability of a firearm. Still, I will be interested in reading about how they perform for you during that weekend course. Should be a good indication of their long term durability.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Im just curious who has seen this actually be a problem and how itís been quantified. Because in a setting where a busted mag is no more of a problem than going to the armory and saying ďgive me a new oneĒ, Me and the people I worked with who could care less if a mag got messed up never had issues with this. Experiences may vary of course. I own several glocks so I have no problems using glock or their mags, itís just not something that I have actually seen be an issue.
    MMinSC likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Im just curious who has seen this actually be a problem and how itís been quantified. Because in a setting where a busted mag is no more of a problem than going to the armory and saying ďgive me a new oneĒ, Me and the people I worked with who could care less if a mag got messed up never had issues with this. Experiences may vary of course. I own several glocks so I have no problems using glock or their mags, itís just not something that I have actually seen be an issue.
    I've cracked several steel mags of various makes. Sig, Beretta, different 1911 mags.

And I didn't have an armory on standby to replace them. YMMV.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links