Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? - Page 10

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be it praise or criticism, it's amusing to me how much the 1911 platform gets discussed. 1911 - 2019, and still rockin'. To answer the ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
Like Tree1082Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

Be it praise or criticism, it's amusing to me how much the 1911 platform gets discussed.

1911 - 2019, and still rockin'.

To answer the OP: It's just my favorite handgun platform.
    OD*, msgt/ret, SatCong and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    Be it praise or criticism, it's amusing to me how much the 1911 platform gets discussed.

1911 - 2019, and still rockin'.

To answer the OP: It's just my favorite handgun platform.

Didn't the 1911 go though a spell of disfavor? If I remember, weren't there several accidental discharges (moron discharges) by law enforcement and elsewhere, where they blamed the gun? Didn't pay attention to if there was a round in the chamber or some such. Maybe something else, but it brought around the Series 80? And I heard/read many hate the 80, say it fails, even though I've never read a first hand account. ?
    gatorbait51 and Tstone like this.
    There's never a bad day for good whisk(e)y

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IslayMalt View Post
    Didn't the 1911 go though a spell of disfavor? If I remember, weren't there several accidental discharges (moron discharges) by law enforcement and elsewhere, where they blamed the gun? Didn't pay attention to if there was a round in the chamber or some such. Maybe something else, but it brought around the Series 80? And I heard/read many hate the 80, say it fails, even though I've never read a first hand account. ?
    Moron is the right descriptor. Between idiot modifications, Lessee heah, lighten that trigger or modify that sear or ,even more stupid, "Lookit mah fast draw" with a loaded weapon. MPs were notorious for this .Series 80 is a Plaintiff attorney/jury driven fix. Misinformation to the uninformed . Corporations tend to lose in the lower courts and this particular business is tried heavily in the kangaroo court of Public Opinion. NB, never noticed any issues with a Series 80 .
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÖ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZĒN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Moron is the right descriptor. Between idiot modifications, Lessee heah, lighten that trigger or modify that sear or ,even more stupid, "Lookit mah fast draw" with a loaded weapon. MPs were notorious for this .Series 80 is a Plaintiff attorney/jury driven fix. Misinformation to the uninformed . Corporations tend to lose in the lower courts and this particular business is tried heavily in the kangaroo court of Public Opinion. NB, never noticed any issues with a Series 80 .

Thanks for answering the question, gatorbait51. That's more than I knew. (I was about to tag Dan to see if he could answer.)
    IslayMalt, msgt/ret, OD* and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Yes, thank you for the answer. I certainly would have figured it was attorney driven. Modifications or playing around with my 1911 aren't something I would try. Always looking for an expert gunsmith for that stuff. I've never had an issue with the 80 ... through now my 6th 1911. If it's made right, chances of it failing are slim; just like any other firearm or product.
    I was in a state disability judgement courthouse last year and really surprised that the guard had a 1911. Don't remember ever seeing a Law Enforcement or Security carrying one before.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Camjr's Avatar
    I carry a Ruger SR1911CMD daily. It carries very well - thin, balanced, and rides very close in a good holster on a good belt whether IWB or OWB. I shoot it quicker and more accurately than the polymer pistols I own (surely practice and not the pistols themselves) because the front sight is very quick back to the target. I don't notice the weight, and haven't modified any of the mechanicals. It's never suffered a FTF or FTE in the thousands of rounds through the pipe. I'm 50+ years old and started out with the polymer pistols but came to the 1911 platform later in life.

Cheers all
    OD*, Tstone, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

"It is madness for sheep to talk peace with a wolf." -- Thomas Fuller

The 1911: An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. Iím just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of todayís pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.
    That could start a debate right there .... when you say 'more reliable" .... lol.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    That could start a debate right there .... when you say 'more reliable" .... lol.
    It obviously has!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It obviously has!

You are entitled to your opinion ... all I have to say.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion ... all I have to say.
    My intention in starting this thread was not to provoke anyone or denigrate those who choose to carry a 1911. Yet, despite stating this more than once, some are still taking it wrong. We are all entitled to our opinions. I think itís time to move on now, so hopefully this thread is done.

My intention in starting this thread was not to provoke anyone or denigrate those who choose to carry a 1911. Yet, despite stating this more than once, some are still taking it wrong. We are all entitled to our opinions. I think itís time to move on now, so hopefully this thread is done.

The 1911 is a touchy subject with many. Myself as well. I love it and hopefully never have to give it up. Reliability? Good as anything I believe, but the only other carry piece I've had was a revolver. My friend worked Law Enforcement for 20 or 25 years. Never used one, knows nothing about them. I can't wait to hear what he says about it when we go shooting.

I carry a 1911 because I shoot them well. I also carry a revolver a good bit, so apparently high capacity and new and improved aren't as important to me. 1911 and revolvers are both tried and true platforms. I shoot them well. I will not carry any firearm that I can't shoot well at 50 yards. I have small semi-auto firearms, but I don't shoot them as well at 50 yards. If I just draw and shoot I will hit left with all of my small single stack semi-autos. I don't just carry for self protection. I have kids and grandkids, and a spouse that drive me to carry more
    than self protection. That's what drives my 50 yard rule. My larger semi-autos don't conceal on me as well as a 1911. I carry around the farm to dispatch what I determine needs dispatching, which mens drawing and holstering a lot from a seated position on a tractor or a side by side. Holstering my Glocks while sitting and driving makes me nervous. Sometimes when cutting hay I will have to go back to the shop to get more ammo from shooting rats, just to give you an idea of how often I shoot while sitting/driving.
    A 1911 meets all of my needs/requiements. The only time I carry a Glock is when I am pretty sure I won't be shooting, like go like when going to town.
    OD* likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't carry my 1911 much anymore, but I did from 21-31 years old. It is a Colt XSE Government. First gun I ever bought. Immediately ordered a Milt Sparks VM-II. Carried like a dream, just gets heavier to me the older I get. The reliability argument for my particular 1911 was a non issue. It had one hiccup with the factory mags and I replaced them with Chip McCormick mags and I have never had another problem again, many rounds later.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Sponsored Links