Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? - Page 2

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know of 2 counties in this state where the deputies carry 1911s. Missoula and Gallatin....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree1072Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I know of 2 counties in this state where the deputies carry 1911s. Missoula and Gallatin.

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. Iím just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of todayís pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.
    1911 type........

Springfield EMP 40.

Because I want to.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Since 1911 everything in handgun development has been a search for solutions to a non-existent problem.

Moderate weight, slim profile, easy to handle and shoot well, delivers all the power necessary to do the job.

Yes, I have other handguns (including revolvers, of all things!). For over a year, while undergoing therapy and surgery for ulnar nerve problems in my strong arm I relied on a 40-odd year old S&W .38 Special because I could not reliably operate a semi-auto or handle the recoil of some calibers without pain. My old Browning Hi Power 9mm pistol will always be a "must have" piece, and I am perfectly comfortable with it (but it is little more than a continuation of J.M. Browning's design work in the same vein as the 1911). I am warming up to a nice Sig P229 that I purchased last year, but it will be some time before it will replace my regular 1911 carry piece (if ever).

News flash! Plastic will never replace solid steel, and little holes will never compare with big holes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a 1911 that I sometimes carry.I like the way it shoots,carry's and conceals. I just have one problem...45 acp. big dumb slow bullet. It's not the hammer of Thor like many want to believe .It was good in it's time and still is but it's not for me. But put a real round in it and it takes on a whole different personality. My 1911 is a Sig Nightmare Carry in 357Sig.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. Iím just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of todayís pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.
    Because I particularly want to rely on a 1911-gun when I don't tote a revolver and particularly don't want to rely on one of "today's" pistol choices.

I don't want lighter weight, am not concerned with having greater capacity, and don't believe that a single one of "today's" pistols are any more reliable.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Before arthritis, I carried, among other things, a full-size 1911 and a snubbie 1911.
    From 1978 through about 1995, I competed with a full-size 1911.

I believe that, for the newer shooter, there is no better learning tool than a full-size, full-weight 1911. Its bullet will do serious damage, while its size and weight will absorb enough recoil to keep the shooter from damage.
    My wife, Jean, who is less than five feet tall, and who weighs less than 100 pounds when fully dressed and soaking wet, learned to shoot the pistol with a full-size, full-weight 1911. She experienced no particular difficulties in so doing.
    I suggest (from experience) that any reasonably physically competent ten-year-old child, male or female, can achieve success with the full-size, full-weight 1911 as a learning tool.

Jean does not carry a 1911. It's much too large. It would conceal her, rather than the other way 'round.
    But it was a superb learning tool in her hands. And then, once she had achieved competency, she could meaningfully try out as many other pistols as we had access to, in order to choose her own carry piece.

I was, and still am, a fully committed fan of the 1911. I just can't shoot one, any more.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

I do not EDC mine. I don't like the extra weight or the size hanging on my belt. What I do use my 1911's for is an HD gun. There's one in the Kitchen for my wife, and another in my office for when I'm up there. In the HD role it's weight and size are advantage's not a hindrance. The extra weight helps my wife shoot it well and cuts some of the recoil. The extra sight radius means I can shoot it out to about 50 yards. Since I'm not trying to carry or conceal it the size and weight are pluses. The reason I don't EDC it is It doesn't fit well in a pocket! DR

I carry a 1911 type because, we have history. I will never be able to put as many rounds through any other weapon as I have a 1911. It is a old and dear friend every time I pick it up. Nothing else will ever feel that way. It has walked beside me for many miles, in some great times and a few very bad times. You see one that you can tell has been use and well taken care of, carried in a holster that has some wear and worn as it should be. You know. Carrying one in certain circles makes a statement that no other can.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    If it is not the best "for you" @druryj don't carry it my brother! If "you think" there are better choices-choose them! It's just that simple!

We're not all alike! We all don't and won't like the same things in a carry piece. The gun world isn't cookie-cutter! That's why there are "OPTIONS" out there! I carry polymers in .40, 9mm and .45. I also have a custom made left-handed stainless steel 1911 in .45 that I love carrying from time to time. Why? Because that's what "I" like! I highly doubt that the bad guy(s) would stop you before you shoot him (them) and ask you;

"Say! Excuse me! What type of piece is that you are about to shoot me (us) with? Is it a polymer or 1911?" If it's a 1911, don't you know that there are better options out there to shoot me with?"

Another good post. Iím glad we have choices. In many ways, our number of choices is kind of a first world problem. The 1911 platform is tried and true. But there no magic there. JMB just designed a great gun. Some would say that it was improved by his design of the High Power...but thatís a different discussion.

Iím not trolling and not trying to create an argument. I just find it interesting that so many choose a 1911 in todayís world. I think itís great if thatís what you want to carry. I like to shoot them more than carry them myself. I carry a Sig M11-A1, a P365, and sometimes a J-Frame. I find them all a better choice in different circumstances...for me. Again; first world problems here; not trolling or starting an argument. Wanna tote a 7-rd hunk of metal and wood? (Albeit a beautiful hunk of metal and wood). By all means then, please do so. I did for a long time but notably longer.

Think about the number of well trained people out there who choose something other than a 1911. Thereís a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Militant and Rock and Glock like this.

I've carried 1911s, classic revolvers, and polymer guns.

I like them all. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. If it is dependable, and you can use it effectively, to me you've made a good choice.

VIP Member
    There isn't a right answer to this question for people who are opposed to carrying a 1911. The great scholar Yukon Cornelius said it best, "You eat what you like, and I'll eat what I like."
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I don't own or carry one, just too big and heavy to CC for me personally, but I would love to buy one someday, "just because".

classic look, reliability, and accuracy.. The design had been around
    for well over 100 years, and was carried by soldiers in WW I-WWII-Korean War-Viet Nam.
    Whats not to like?..... There are SO many variants that are "scaled down" derivatives of a 1911 that it makes your head spin, all a testament to John Brownings original design.

I carry a mini derivative myself a P938, Not the same by any means, but still inspired by the original.

Maybe someday I will pick one up to replace my Shield for HD, as I do not own a .45.
    meantime I have always admired the weapon.. Its a classic.

Interesting read on the 1911 if you haven't seen it yet-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

another really good article on the 1911 ...

NRA Museums:
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.

I carried a full size steel 1911 for months, gone back & forth between that or a Glock 19/23 size or bigger.
    Given a good gun belt the weight is not a factor.
    1911 has a different feel IWB than Glock, my main reason for carrying it; I'll carry a pistol for months then magically its not comfortable, so I'll switch.
    Reasons other than feel IWB that others might carry a 1911:
    - Has a manual safety, some people may prefer having a safety other than a tab on the trigger.
    - Capacity. Ha Ha, right. No, in a 10 round state its competitive. 9mm 1911 has standard 9 round mag, 10 available. Commander lightweight 9mm cuts weight too.
    - Quality of small parts. Want a gun made with steel small parts rather than MIM? Higher end 1911's (Ed Brown, Dan Wesson) don't have MIM.
    (Not knocking MIM, please GOD don't hit quote and enlighten me about airplanes or engines, just stating the fact that one can still buy a pistol free of it.)
    - History. Some people like the history of 1911. (Not a factor for me) But an intangible (like history) could weigh on selection.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I know of 2 counties in this state where the deputies carry 1911s. Missoula and Gallatin.
    Larimer County Colorado Sheriff's Department carries 1911s. I'm pretty sure the back up Squirrels are optional.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links