Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? - Page 4

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm an equal opportunity gun hand! I carry different guns, just because I can and I never met a gun I didn't like. Today, I'm ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree1082Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

I'm an equal opportunity gun hand!

I carry different guns, just because I can and I never met a gun I didn't like.

Today, I'm carrying a horse of a different color - a 45 in a Glock 21. But this one isn't your run of the mill .45 ACP. I have it loaded with .45 Super. Sometimes this one...

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785711456313

Sometimes fat and fast...

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785711423545

Sometimes very fast...

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785700249657

But sometimes I carry my Kimber Custom TLE-RL II just because I love it too. This is a personal decision you'll have to make for yourself.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I often carry my XD's, but as for the 1911:

Slimmer and more concealable
    Using Chip McCormick 8-round mags I have 8+1 and a spare mag for 17 rounds
    Feels better in the hand than anything else
    Aims better than anything else
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

.....hard to break old habits.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don’t only because 45 ACP is weak.

I prefer the 500 Magnum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Just returned from a Thanksgiving holiday week. A Colt Government Model made the trek from west central Texas to Nashville to play with the grand kids and back again. Was a most gratifying and comforting companion as we traveled back and forth on I-20, I-30, and I-40.
    Well ... the Colt didn't play with the grand kids. We did. Hah!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I was introduced to a single-action revolver shooting .22 shorts in the summer between the second and third grades. My first owned handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum when I was a teenager. I was introduced to the M1 Garand and 1911 by the Navy Reserves during my senior year of high school in 1963/1964.

My first love is big bore single-action revolvers with a four to eight inch barrel. The triggers are great which helps my accuracy. The longer barrels with a longer sight radius helps my accuracy. Big bore double-action revolvers come in second for me.

I have bought and sold hundreds of guns since the 1962. I bought a Glock G20 10mm in the 1990s. I was up to nine Glocks at one time in 10mm, .45 ACP, and 9mm.

In 2010, I read that Colt was coming out with a 100th. anniversary government model 1911 for 2011. I decided I needed one. I couldn't find one, but bought a Dan Wesson Valor 1911. I now have eleven government model 1911s including seven Colts in .45 ACP and two Colts in 10mm.

I carry a government model 1911 in a leather pancake style holster on my belt from the time I get dressed in the morning to when it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. I carry one or more spare magazines on my belt.

The government model is the best concealable handgun that has a great single-action trigger and a longer sight radius. I have never believed in the twenty-one foot gunfight rule. If someone shoots at me from 100 yards, I prefer being able to shoot back with some accuracy and good stopping power.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

flh
    I just started to carry a Springfield GI a few months back , I had my shooting partner ask why would you carry that heavy thing instead of your Glock ? ....My answer , I want to ....
    Last edited by flh; December 3rd, 2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    The guns that I have carried over the years have all been plastic pistols of various flavors. I am very fond of my Glocks and the P365 I have been carrying for a while now. But lately it occurs to me, that I shoot my 2 1911's (both Colt Government models) better than anything else. The single action triggers and the long sight radius are the main reasons, I'm sure. So, I am looking for a good IWB holster for a full size 1911 and I am ready to experiment with carrying what I shoot best. Not sure why I waited so long to get the idea.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    I don't always carry a 1911 but I frequently do, they really are great guns and carry well. I do lean toward the commander size but don't really consider anythng smaller a real 1911.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I just started to carry a Springfield GI a few months back , I had my shooting partner ask why would you carry that heavy thing instead of your Glock ? ....My answer , I want to ....
    That is an excellent gun. One of the best factory produced I have ever had.
    flh, msgt/ret, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I carried a 1911 for many years with no complaints, and still think it's the ultimate semi-auto pistol design. The only reason I quit is because I became more focused on reliability and firepower, so started carrying a revolver. After some service members were attacked a few years back, I started carrying my FN Hi Power when in uniform, but I think I'm moving back to a revolver for full time carry.

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-629-holster-1.jpg
    Nix, bmcgilvray, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.

Nix
    I like the 1911 for the history and the legend. I carry the 1911 because it's slim, solid, and straight-shooting. I know the pistol well and it's now become intuitive to operate. More 'modern' pistols are great and I occasionally carry a Glock or HK (or a revolver). But the 1911 is always more confidence inspiring for me. Maybe I just shoot it a little better than others, or maybe it just feels a bit more familiar.

I mostly carry a Commander-sized 1911, but I've started to carry the full-sized version more often. Some people complain about the weight, but I actually find that to be an advantage: it makes it easier to steady the pistol and helps mitigate the recoil impulse.

Perhaps one day I'll find a 1911 too big and too heavy to tote around, but I probably won't be carrying on a regular basis at that point anyway.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Well, after reading part of this thread this morning, I got the bug again. I took off my P365 and pulled one of my LW 1911 Kimbers out of the safe. It feels good. But I can also tell that it weighs quite a bit more than my P365. , even with a good belt and holster.
    Wavygravy, msgt/ret, Nix and 5 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Nix
    1911s are like a worn in pair of blue jeans: not always the right thing to wear, but they sure feel right.

They point good.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links