Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? - Page 5

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Militant No argument taken. Enjoying the convo. I notice, you use the words, "I like" and "I find" and "I don't any ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree1082Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    No argument taken. Enjoying the convo. I notice, you use the words, "I like" and "I find" and "I don't any longer" a few times in this reply. All of that to me is nothing more than "YOUR" perspective about the 1911. It's not the gospel! You even mentioned about the number of "well trained people" who choose pieces other than a 1911 as a reference point for not carrying a 1911. Good for them but I don't base what I do on what they say or do. Again, if you don't want to carry a 1911, run with that! Don't carry it, just shoot it however, there are still many people that absolutely love the 1911 and prefer the 1911 over all others for their own reasons. And, there is nothing wrong with that! To each his own I say!
    Yes, my intention was to merely give ďmyĒ perspective. There is little doubt that the 1911 platform is a great one. Correction; there is NO doubt. I am trying to limit the conversation to carrying the pistol for CCW. For a combat situation there are several scenarios I can think of where the 1911 is the one pistol Iíd want. But for everyday , run of the mill, going to the grocery store kind of situations...I want a smaller lighter gun. Usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Yes, my intention was to merely give ďmyĒ perspective. There is little doubt that the 1911 platform is a great one. Correction; there is NO doubt. I am trying to limit the conversation to carrying the pistol for CCW. For a combat situation there are several scenarios I can think of where the 1911 is the one pistol Iíd want. But for everyday , run of the mill, going to the grocery store kind of situations...I want a smaller lighter gun. Usually.
    I hear ya, druryj. Right there as well.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar

Again, wanting a smaller pistol for the run of the mill stuff is "YOU" but maybe not for others. It's just that simple!

I have a friend in Alabama. All this cat loves is a 1911. He carries them for self-defense 24/7, whenever, wherever and for whatever. When I told him that I finally bought one for myself he said; "There you go my friend; you finally bought a "REAL" gun instead all of that HK plastic junk!" He says that because he hates the "plastic" guns with a passion! All he cares about and owns are 1911's because they are his thing!

Now, I don't allow his views to affect my decisions or choices for why I choose to carry what I carry. To me; there is no need for one to constantly try to "validate" why they carry or prefer a certain piece over others. Just carry what you like and don't carry what you don't like. Again, that's simple! Enjoyed the convo my brother!

P.S. This convo with you made me put down my plastic gun and pick up my stainless steel custom made 1911 to carry it all day today while I ran a few errands. How sweet it is!

HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge boxĒ - Frederick Douglas

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Again, wanting a smaller pistol for the run of the mill stuff is "YOU" but maybe not for others. It's just that simple!
    I have to agree. Some folks need to forget the gun is there to be comfortable.

I understand because I started off the same way. My primary carry gun for years was a P238, and I carried a 1911 in my bag just in case. When I got serious about carrying, I started off small - Glock 43. I immediately realized it was a bit too big to pocket carry, and if I was going to belt carry I might as well get a larger gun. After some experimentation, I finally realized I have no problem carrying an all steel full-size handgun all day, and prefer shooting a gun with some mass. For me, there is no advantage to carrying a smaller, lighter gun. So I can carry a 1911 or (these days) my S&W M629, both of which I shoot quite well, or if I feel the situation calls for a higher capacity gun, I carry my Hi Power.

If I'm comfortable and confident carrying a classic all-steel design, why would I compromise with a smaller, lighter gun that likely has inferior ergonomics and trigger?

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-pistolwhip.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I have to agree. Some folks need to forget the gun is there to be comfortable.

I understand because I started off the same way. My primary carry gun for years was a P238, and I carried a 1911 in my bag just in case. When I got serious about carrying, I started off small - Glock 43. I immediately realized it was a bit too big to pocket carry, and if I was going to belt carry I might as well get a larger gun. After some experimentation, I finally realized I have no problem carrying an all steel full-size handgun all day, and prefer shooting a gun with some mass. For me, there is no advantage to carrying a smaller, lighter gun. So I can carry a 1911 or (these days) my S&W M629, both of which I shoot quite well, or if I feel the situation calls for a higher capacity gun, I carry my Hi Power.

If I'm comfortable and confident carrying a classic all-steel design, why would I compromise with a smaller, lighter gun that likely has inferior ergonomics and trigger?
    Wow! Great points sir! To be honest; I absolutely love the hefty feel of my 1911 (in comparison to my polymer "plastic" pieces which are of course lighter but also serve a purpose in my carry as well) on my hip when I carry it!

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge boxĒ - Frederick Douglas

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-e7c830a9-5293-40d7-b983-d826530471be.jpeg

7 in the morning until now at 8:54. Not a problem.
    SatCong, drmordo, Cuda66 and 8 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PistolWhip.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	307854
    Now that I like. Thanks.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I have a friend in Alabama. All this cat loves is a 1911. He carries them for self-defense 24/7, whenever, wherever and for whatever. When I told him that I finally bought one for myself he said; "There you go my friend; you finally bought a "REAL" gun instead all of that HK plastic junk!" He says that because he hates the "plastic" guns with a passion! All he cares about and owns are 1911's because they are his thing!

Now, I don't allow his views to affect my decisions or choices for why I choose to carry what I carry. To me; there is no need for one to constantly try to "validate" why they carry or prefer a certain piece over others. Just carry what you like and don't carry what you don't like. Again, that's simple! Enjoyed the convo my brother!

P.S. This convo with you made me put down my plastic gun and pick up my stainless steel custom made 1911 to carry it all day today while I ran a few errands. How sweet it is!

Again, I am not trying to say anything negative about those who choose to carry a 1911, yet it seems some think I am. I merely asked the question WHY some choose it for carry and gave a brief explanation of why I donít carry it 24/7 like some do. I wanted to see what people said and it ran the gamut from ďmagicĒ to familiarity. Magic doesnít cut it in the real world though. I am very familiar with the 1911 myself, and admire it as much as anyone. But yes, as I said, itís just not the best carry gun FOR ME anymore.

Iíve carried one in harms way. Iíve used it. Oh it wasnít this one, but one that had probably been through the cycle at the Precision Weapons Section in Quantico a few times. They sure did good work back then, I bet they still do today. I had these grips made for me a fella over on the 1911 forum. I supplied the emblems and he did a great job doing the inlay for me on some ebony. Whattya think?
    Thanks just canít see carrying it. Not for CCW. I prefer this little pistol for that purpose now. Leather from TT Gunleather; Kydex from Vedder.

drmordo, G-man*, SatCong and 8 others like this.

My 1911 is my woods sidearm. I carry it OWB most of Sep and Oct. It only gets left behind when I'm carrying a rifle during deer season. The 1911 goes back on in the evening.
    Now, it is late season birds. I carry the 1911 in a shoulder holster under an outer coat. My Kimber custom has been reliable in single digit temperatures, but that 4 degree steel on your skin!
    ETXhiker and gatorbait51 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Why do I still carry 1911s?

Iíve carried and competed with 1911-style handguns since 1987 when a real gunfight I found myself in taught some hard lessons that I luckily survived and changed the way I looked at fighting with a gun forever.

With that being said I immediately sought out a local gunsmith who himself had survived a gunfight (Greg Ferris) who set up a mil-spec Springfield 1911 for competition/combat use and I was off and running. Some of the changes:

1) Obviously building up the .45 Springfield. I figured out real quick that a .44 magnum does not act like it does in Dirty Harry movies.

2) I was a left handed shooter who from the day I showed up at Gregís shooting club I taught myself to shoot right handed, eventually attaining the rank of Master in USPSA in 1991.

3) In 1994 I picked up one of the very first Springfield Champions and built it up over several years as my primary carry gun, until 2018, when I got the Springfield EMP IN 9mm.

Which is mostly what I carry now due to itís concealability, and it is a superbly accurate and reliable weapon.

At the end of the day I carry what I practice and compete with, because everything is automatic with those guns borne from years of practice and thousands of rounds downrange. Have I carried and competed with other guns ? Absolutely. Would I carry any of them into a fight? Of course.

But my heart and first choice will always be with JMBs masterpiece, the 1911.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Again, I am not trying to say anything negative about those who choose to carry a 1911, yet it seems some think I am. I merely asked the question WHY some choose it for carry and gave a brief explanation of why I donít carry it 24/7 like some do. I wanted to see what people said and it ran the gamut from ďmagicĒ to familiarity. Magic doesnít cut it in the real world though. I am very familiar with the 1911 myself, and admire it as much as anyone. But yes, as I said, itís just not the best carry gun FOR ME anymore.

Iíve carried one in harms way. Iíve used it. Oh it wasnít this one, but one that had probably been through the cycle at the Precision Weapons Section in Quantico a few times. They sure did good work back then, I bet they still do today. I had these grips made for me a fella over on the 1911 forum. I supplied the emblems and he did a great job doing the inlay for me on some ebony. Whattya think?
    Thanks just canít see carrying it. Not for CCW. I prefer this little pistol for that purpose now. Leather from TT Gunleather; Kydex from Vedder.

Those grips are awesome my brother!

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Why do I still carry 1911s?

Iíve carried and competed with 1911-style handguns since 1987 when a real gunfight I found myself in taught some hard lessons that I luckily survived and changed the way I looked at fighting with a gun forever.

With that being said I immediately sought out a local gunsmith who himself had survived a gunfight (Greg Ferris) who set up a mil-spec Springfield 1911 for competition/combat use and I was off and running. Some of the changes:

1) Obviously building up the .45 Springfield. I figured out real quick that a .44 magnum does not act like it does in Dirty Harry movies.

2) I was a left handed shooter who from the day I showed up at Gregís shooting club I taught myself to shoot right handed, eventually attaining the rank of Master in USPSA in 1991.

3) In 1994 I picked up one of the very first Springfield Champions and built it up over several years as my primary carry gun, until 2018, when I got the Springfield EMP IN 9mm.

Which is mostly what I carry now due to itís concealability, and it is a superbly accurate and reliable weapon.

At the end of the day I carry what I practice and compete with, because everything is automatic with those guns borne from years of practice and thousands of rounds downrange. Have I carried and competed with other guns ? Absolutely. Would I carry any of them into a fight? Of course.

But my heart and first choice will always be with JMBs masterpiece, the 1911.

Seems to me that youíre carrying a 1911 for all the right reasons. And thanks for contributing to the discussion.

msgt/ret, G-man*, SatCong and 5 others like this.

G-man* you said it for me.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member

I don't "still" carry a 1911 - I'm carrying one again!

I CC'd a Combat Commander quite a bit in the 70's, long before there were all the plastic fantastics around. I did find the 1911 to be a bit big & heavy, though, and often opted for a smaller CCW; a Detective Special or .380 Beretta M84.

When the modern crop of plastic wundernines came along, I gravitated towards them for all the obvious reasons; light weight, capacity, concealability, (comparatively) low cost, etc. My CCW of choice became the Shield, with the M&P 9C as a higher-capacity option, and a Kahr CM9 for "deeper concealment" situations. The Sig P365 was a game-changer, with capacity, concealability, and shootability rivaling all three. I never stopped liking 1911's though, and in recent years have acquired a few more.

The Dan Wesson ECO is the pistol that actually moved me back towards the 1911 as a CCW. With 7+1 of .45 ACP, the capacity should be adequate for the vast majority of likely defensive situations and the caliber is certainly a plus. The alloy-framed Officers'-size compact is light enough for all-day carry, and slim enough to conceal about as well as any service-caliber pistol. The real kicker, though, is that I shoot a 1911 - even the compact - better than just about any other practical concealed pistol.

The P365 is still my CCW of choice in most situations, but I'm definitely packing the ECO a lot more often than I've carried any other 1911 in a LONG time!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links