Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? - Page 6

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am with kilowatt^^^^^ My Dan Wesson ECO is a light weight, accurate, reliable and 7+1 answer to my carry needs. Since it mitigates most ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree1082Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    I am with kilowatt^^^^^ My Dan Wesson ECO is a light weight, accurate, reliable and 7+1 answer to my carry needs. Since it mitigates most concerns with the 1911, the only reason not to carry it is because you dont like the 1911 format or you are a secret squirrel anticipating a ISIS raid on the local walmart. (hey, it's a thing). I can still be found carrying a 5-shot (GASP)revolver or a walther PPS (I have to say that this is a reliable, accurate, thin lil weapon) on occasion. Unlike my spouse, my 1911 doesnt mind if I try out something different from time to time.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I do occasionally because I like them and I shoot them well. Really, the only reason I don't much more often is that because I've gotten too lazy to tote 40 oz. all day, when I can get 10 rds. of .45 in a smaller package that weighs 30 oz. fully loaded.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    I do occasionally because I like them and I shoot them well. Really, the only reason I don't much more often is that because I've gotten too lazy to tote 40 oz. all day, when I can get 10 rds. of .45 in a smaller package that weighs 30 oz. fully loaded.
    ... or 27 oz loaded <edit> Ooops, I didn't see the 10 rds of 45 there, Bigsteve. I was referring to the Shield 45 with 6 or 7 rds. My bad.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    ... or 27 oz loaded <edit> Ooops, I didn't see the 10 rds of 45 there, Bigsteve. I was referring to the Shield 45 with 6 or 7 rds. My bad.
    Mine's a GLOCK 30S, what's yours ?
    ETXhiker and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member
    I fixed it before you asked, Bigsteve. Crosspost.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    I find around 23 ounces loaded more comfortable (9mm) or 12 oz. (.380).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Cause they are pretty and plastic guns are ugly.
    OD*, SatCong, ETXhiker and 10 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

The 1911 (in .45) is not the only firearm I carry, but it is my preferred carry. Why? I’m used to it, it was the first handgun I ever fired, and it fits my hand, and with the right holster/belt combo, it’s comfortable to carry all day long.
    msgt/ret, OD*, Militant and 6 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Cause they are pretty and plastic guns are ugly.
    And they don’t have a trigger like a staple gun.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Under pressure I shoot my 1911's the most accurately of the guns I own. I carry mostly my LW Commander due to this but also carry at times a BHP LW or a Sig P965.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I don't "still" carry a 1911 - I'm carrying one again!...

The Dan Wesson ECO is the pistol that actually moved me back towards the 1911 as a CCW...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I am with kilowatt^^^^^ My Dan Wesson ECO is a light weight, accurate, reliable and 7+1 answer to my carry needs...
    Well, since @Chief1297 shares my enthusiasm for the ECO, and in case there are other DW afficionados around, here's a little eye candy!

[Disclaimer - this is not my pic, but it is a better pic than any I have of my ECO! ]

Name:  ECO-1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  99.5 KB
    airslot, msgt/ret, OD* and 8 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

That's all that I carry, and have for two decades. They conceal nicely, go bang every time requested, and hit where I'm aiming. Can't beat a good M1911 trigger. Started with a Kimber SS Ultra Carry, which I still occasionally carry, and switched to a Kimber Compact CDP 2 about 9 years ago for EDC. Don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Cuz they kinda GROW on ya..If I had to explain it ....You wouldn't understand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-img_1206.jpg  

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-image2-1-.jpeg  

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-steve-1911-pics-3-3.jpg  

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-img_1110.jpg  

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-img_1067-1-.jpg  

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-img_0550.jpg  

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-img_0533.jpg  

Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I don’t because I finally found a way to holster my 500 S&W

I found a nice system for my S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum, also.

I used to carry an Ed Brown Special Forces. It was great to shoot. I just didn’t care for having to reload, If necessary. I never found a great concealment holster for my 1911.

I switched to the S&W 442 and then finally with the S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Well, since @Chief1297 shares my enthusiasm for the ECO, and in case there are other DW afficionados around, here's a little eye candy!

[Disclaimer - this is not my pic, but it is a better pic than any I have of my ECO! ]

Name:  ECO-1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  99.5 KB
    SHHHHHWINGGGGG!!!!!!!
    gatorbait51 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links