Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? - Page 9

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by druryj Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 148
Like Tree1082Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

  1. #121
    Member Array IslayMalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. Iím just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of todayís pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.
    Seriously? More reliable? What is unreliable about a 1911? in 20 years the only jams I had was from some cheap lead-free ammo at a range in Reno. Otherwise, they've all eaten whatever I fed. I personally like the single stack magazine because of my hand size. I prefer single action, not DA/SA. I'm guessing it wouldn't still be around if it was an 'unreliable' handgun.
    msgt/ret, Havok, OD* and 4 others like this.
    There's never a bad day for good whisk(e)y

  2. #122
    Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,584
    Quote Originally Posted by IslayMalt View Post
    Seriously? More reliable? What is unreliable about a 1911? in 20 years the only jams I had was from some cheap lead-free ammo at a range in Reno. Otherwise, they've all eaten whatever I fed. I personally like the single stack magazine because of my hand size. I prefer single action, not DA/SA. I'm guessing it wouldn't still be around if it was an 'unreliable' handgun.
    I said ďarguablyĒ more reliable, not ďmore reliableĒ. I carried a 1911 plenty too. And yes, they are a great platform. Donít mistake my question for an idea that I think they arenít please.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #123
    Member Array IslayMalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    I said ďarguablyĒ more reliable, not ďmore reliableĒ. I carried a 1911 plenty too. And yes, they are a great platform. Donít mistake my question for an idea that I think they arenít please.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Absolutely not. But even 'arguably' is extremely questionable, and I'd love to know who makes the argument, and what is indeed more reliable. No offense intended, I apologize. I just hate reading such stuff, usually touting Glocks, Sigs, etc, by people who have never had one, and don't know a thing about 'em.
    There's never a bad day for good whisk(e)y

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #124
    Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,584
    Quote Originally Posted by IslayMalt View Post
    Absolutely not. But even 'arguably' is extremely questionable, and I'd love to know who makes the argument, and what is indeed more reliable. No offense intended, I apologize. I just hate reading such stuff, usually touting Glocks, Sigs, etc, by people who have never had one, and don't know a thing about 'em.
    No offense taken. But think about it, some 1911 guys are as much a Fan Boy as some Glock or Sig guys are. Saying that one platform is the end-all-be-all anymore just doesn't make sense. I carried a 1911 for many years, have a lot of experience with them, and still love the pistol. But what about the Hi-Power, which many believe was JMB's design that improved on the 1911? And Carl (or was it his son, Fritz?) Walther may have created the first successful DA/Sa pistol with the PP series. Then there is of course, Mr. Gaston Glock. To say he revolutionized the pistol world is simply not an exaggeration. Like them or not, the Glock pistol is chased, copied, and purchased by many. In it's day, there was the 1911 and not a lot else in the world of reliable semi-autos. Today, there are a LOT more choices. I don't discount them, but instead I am glad we have them.

    For me, the 1911 still has it's place. But it's not on my hip for a quick trip to the local Stop-N-rob for a loaf of bread. I choose the SigP365 as my normal EDC, supplemented by a Sig M11-A1 if I feel the need for something more. Or sometimes I just drop a S&W 340PD in a pocket or AIWB in a Sticky Holster. None of those were around not that many years ago to compete for carry time with the 1911. Today, they are, so why not take advantage of the changes in design and technology, if you can, and expand your options?

    For punching holes with precision, the 1911 still remains my favorite centerfire pistol. You just can't beat the trigger on a good 1911, and the ergonomics are still great, for many people. But in my world today, for the purpose of CCW, I choose to carry a different gun, or guns. For the pistol near my head at night, (to back up Mr. 12 Gauge), it's yet another. I think it's great that we have choices. I don't even want to think about which I'd choose if I had to pick just one!
    IslayMalt and gatorbait51 like this.

  6. #125
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Senior Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staff lounge
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    But what about the Hi-Power, which many believe was JMB's design that improved on the 1911?
    1.) They'd be wrong. JMB would be dead for nearly 10 years before the P-35 hit the market. Most of the credit for the Hi-Power belongs to Browning's apprentice at FN, Dieudonnť Joseph Saive, he gave us the P-35 as we know it today. 2.) JMB no longer owned the patent's to the M1911 and had to work around them. There were a number of improvements on the P-35, but it wasn't Browning who "fixed" the 1911.

    This is the last version that JMB worked on;
    Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-jmb-hi-power.jpg
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."




    NRA Patron Member

  7. #126
    VIP Member Array WC145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    1.) They'd be wrong. JMB would be dead for nearly 10 years before the P-35 hit the market. Most of the credit for the Hi-Power belongs to Browning's apprentice at FN, Dieudonnť Joseph Saive, he gave us the P-35 as we know it today. 2.) JMB no longer owned the patent's to the M1911 and had to work around them. There were a number of improvements on the P-35, but it wasn't Browning who "fixed" the 1911.

    This is the last version that JMB worked on;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMB Hi-Power.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	562.9 KB 
ID:	309392
    I've been saying that for years, not as well as you, though. I like HPs but it doesn't do anything any better than a 1911.
    OD*, simonp67, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

  8. #127
    VIP Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lurking
    Posts
    3,892
    I did carry one for a short time. I do love them, but ended up selling the two that I had.

    The argument of this design being better than that but not the other is tiresome. I think itís more of a ease of manufacturing and a designs sensitivity to tolerance variations.
    My feeling is that the 1911 may be more sensitive to variation than simpler designs. To me that does not make it less reliable, they just need to be made correctly with good parts.
    I bet there are a lot of plastic guns that will work with out of spec parts. More tolerant design, easy to make, I think so.
    More reliable? I am not convinced.
    OD*, WC145 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

  9. #128
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana bayou country
    Posts
    5,197
    Alritht, alright dangit...... I'll weigh-in on this topic.

    The majority of carry duty generally falls to my G23. Good platform, proven sidearm, plenty enough round capacity, and I can make hits under stress....I've seen me do it.
    The BIGGEST reason I carry that gun the majority of the time? I often find myself in inclimate weather, dirty ol' backroads, the woods, swamps, my in-laws house, etc. My sidearm will get banged around just like my wrist-watch, my fingers, my noggin'.....don't matter. I WILL NOT FEEL BAD if that firearm gets dinged up, dirty, and/or somewhat abused. IT WILL STILL take care of bidness if necessary. ALSO.... IF I EVER, heaven-forbid, HAVE to employ my Glock to stop a threat, I'm pretty certain the LEO's will take it.... If that were to happen, I'm out a, wait for it, .......a Glock. I can get by emotionally me thinks.

    Now, on to my 1911's....... I LOVE them guns! Fun to shoot, and I am good shot with them.....even under stress. I know this. They some PRETTY sidearms too! (and pretty expensive in some cases as well) They get banged around or dinged up, I'll feel bad....even if only for a minuet or three. They DO have a place in my carry rotation as well.....the slim(er) profile aids in concealability, AND.... here the big'un..... I am very comfortable and very competent with a 1911. I do NOT feel under-gunned with seven/eight rounds per mag vice 10 or 15 for my other choices.
    Having said that, If my carry 1911 were removed after an (hope it NEVER happens) shots-fired incident, I will feel badly.

    Just touching on the round-capacity issue/argument as a side-note: I have, and do, feel pretty good when I have my 5-shot .357/.38 rosco tucked in my pocket with a handfull of shells in the other pocket. My point is, I KNOW what I CAN do with each platform. I'm also well aware of my limitations and what I CAN'T do with each of them.
    An experienced warrior, well regulated with his chosen weapon, will overcome, the majority of the time, any johnny-come-lately punk with any spray-n-prey, wonder-nine tupperwear....
    OD*, druryj, Militant and 4 others like this.

  10. #129
    VIP Member Array Sister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    🇰🇵
    Posts
    4,171
    Just got my first one, love it no looking back. Colt Defender .45 👍🏻
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

  11. #130
    Member Array IslayMalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    No offense taken. But think about it, some 1911 guys are as much a Fan Boy as some Glock or Sig guys are. Saying that one platform is the end-all-be-all anymore just doesn't make sense. I carried a 1911 for many years, have a lot of experience with them, and still love the pistol. But what about the Hi-Power, which many believe was JMB's design that improved on the 1911? And Carl (or was it his son, Fritz?) Walther may have created the first successful DA/Sa pistol with the PP series. Then there is of course, Mr. Gaston Glock. To say he revolutionized the pistol world is simply not an exaggeration. Like them or not, the Glock pistol is chased, copied, and purchased by many. In it's day, there was the 1911 and not a lot else in the world of reliable semi-autos. Today, there are a LOT more choices. I don't discount them, but instead I am glad we have them.

    For me, the 1911 still has it's place. But it's not on my hip for a quick trip to the local Stop-N-rob for a loaf of bread. I choose the SigP365 as my normal EDC, supplemented by a Sig M11-A1 if I feel the need for something more. Or sometimes I just drop a S&W 340PD in a pocket or AIWB in a Sticky Holster. None of those were around not that many years ago to compete for carry time with the 1911. Today, they are, so why not take advantage of the changes in design and technology, if you can, and expand your options?

    For punching holes with precision, the 1911 still remains my favorite centerfire pistol. You just can't beat the trigger on a good 1911, and the ergonomics are still great, for many people. But in my world today, for the purpose of CCW, I choose to carry a different gun, or guns. For the pistol near my head at night, (to back up Mr. 12 Gauge), it's yet another. I think it's great that we have choices. I don't even want to think about which I'd choose if I had to pick just one!
    Certainly some strong minded 1911 fans out there. Guess I'm one. However, because I have essential tremors in my right hand, I was going to look into a Glock because I thought it might be a bit lighter. But I don't think lighter is going to be better for my condition, but I'll try some of my friends. I'm used to a simple trigger pull, same every time. It's why I was thinking about a Glock. I'm left handed and don't like handguns that are designed for the right hand. My 1911 came with an ambi, so it was solved. I don't like DA/SA. First pull longer than the rest is uncomfortable to me. Single stack magazine is the most comfortable for my smaller hands. Everything brought me to the 1911. Other than something to put in my pocket, I believe I will probably stick with it. Unless the ugly-ass Glock works better for me
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There's never a bad day for good whisk(e)y

  12. #131
    Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Deep South
    Posts
    1,303
    My last gun purchase was a 1911 CCO. It just fits me better than double stack pistols. I feel comfortable carrying it.
    OD*, G-man*, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

  13. #132
    Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,584
    Quote Originally Posted by IslayMalt View Post
    Certainly some strong minded 1911 fans out there. Guess I'm one. However, because I have essential tremors in my right hand, I was going to look into a Glock because I thought it might be a bit lighter. But I don't think lighter is going to be better for my condition, but I'll try some of my friends. I'm used to a simple trigger pull, same every time. It's why I was thinking about a Glock. I'm left handed and don't like handguns that are designed for the right hand. My 1911 came with an ambi, so it was solved. I don't like DA/SA. First pull longer than the rest is uncomfortable to me. Single stack magazine is the most comfortable for my smaller hands. Everything brought me to the 1911. Other than something to put in my pocket, I believe I will probably stick with it. Unless the ugly-ass Glock works better for me
    Well I get it. Whatever you like and can carry and shoot the best is ... best. Good luck with the Glock. I will say if it wasnít for the Sig P365, Iíd be carrying a 43X. Probably.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  14. #133
    Senior Member
    Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medina, Ohio
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. Iím just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of todayís pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.
    For me,

    *weight is not a factor compared to the weapons I previously carried for a living,
    *greater capacity just means more chances to miss,
    *none of my six 1911s have reliability problems. Any company that says their Tupperware is more reliable is just spouting marketing hype.

    DVC

    Name:  1911anim.gif
Views: 60
Size:  8.0 KB
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

  15. #134
    Moderator
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    15,715
    Name:  GoAway.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  5.4 KB
    SatCong, jrwhitt, druryj and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

  16. #135
    Senior Member Array Kenny53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    641
    I have a lot of Tupperware guns and they all do a great job, but I also love my 1911 and I tend to shoot it the best. I do carry it when the mood strikes me. I may carry it to church tomorrow.
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •