Defensive Carry banner

Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

14K views 147 replies 83 participants last post by  MCunningham 
#1 ·
I’m a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. I’m just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of today’s pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.

#71 ·
Why do I still carry 1911s?

I’ve carried and competed with 1911-style handguns since 1987 when a real gunfight I found myself in taught some hard lessons that I luckily survived and changed the way I looked at fighting with a gun forever.

With that being said I immediately sought out a local gunsmith who himself had survived a gunfight (Greg Ferris) who set up a mil-spec Springfield 1911 for competition/combat use and I was off and running. Some of the changes:

1) Obviously building up the .45 Springfield. I figured out real quick that a .44 magnum does not act like it does in Dirty Harry movies.

2) I was a left handed shooter who from the day I showed up at Greg’s shooting club I taught myself to shoot right handed, eventually attaining the rank of Master in USPSA in 1991.

3) In 1994 I picked up one of the very first Springfield Champions and built it up over several years as my primary carry gun, until 2018, when I got the Springfield EMP IN 9mm.

Which is mostly what I carry now due to it’s concealability, and it is a superbly accurate and reliable weapon.

At the end of the day I carry what I practice and compete with, because everything is automatic with those guns borne from years of practice and thousands of rounds downrange. Have I carried and competed with other guns ? Absolutely. Would I carry any of them into a fight? Of course.

But my heart and first choice will always be with JMBs masterpiece, the 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#75 ·

I don't "still" carry a 1911 - I'm carrying one again!

I CC'd a Combat Commander quite a bit in the 70's, long before there were all the plastic fantastics around. I did find the 1911 to be a bit big & heavy, though, and often opted for a smaller CCW; a Detective Special or .380 Beretta M84.

When the modern crop of plastic wundernines came along, I gravitated towards them for all the obvious reasons; light weight, capacity, concealability, (comparatively) low cost, etc. My CCW of choice became the Shield, with the M&P 9C as a higher-capacity option, and a Kahr CM9 for "deeper concealment" situations. The Sig P365 was a game-changer, with capacity, concealability, and shootability rivaling all three. I never stopped liking 1911's though, and in recent years have acquired a few more.

The Dan Wesson ECO is the pistol that actually moved me back towards the 1911 as a CCW. With 7+1 of .45 ACP, the capacity should be adequate for the vast majority of likely defensive situations and the caliber is certainly a plus. The alloy-framed Officers'-size compact is light enough for all-day carry, and slim enough to conceal about as well as any service-caliber pistol. The real kicker, though, is that I shoot a 1911 - even the compact - better than just about any other practical concealed pistol.

The P365 is still my CCW of choice in most situations, but I'm definitely packing the ECO a lot more often than I've carried any other 1911 in a LONG time! :yup:

#86 ·
I don't "still" carry a 1911 - I'm carrying one again!...

The Dan Wesson ECO is the pistol that actually moved me back towards the 1911 as a CCW...
I am with kilowatt^^^^^ My Dan Wesson ECO is a light weight, accurate, reliable and 7+1 answer to my carry needs...
Well, since @Chief1297 shares my enthusiasm for the ECO, and in case there are other DW afficionados around, here's a little eye candy!

[Disclaimer - this is not my pic, but it is a better pic than any I have of my ECO! :rolleyes:]

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

#76 ·
I am with kilowatt^^^^^ My Dan Wesson ECO is a light weight, accurate, reliable and 7+1 answer to my carry needs. Since it mitigates most concerns with the 1911, the only reason not to carry it is because you dont like the 1911 format or you are a secret squirrel anticipating a ISIS raid on the local walmart. (hey, it's a thing). I can still be found carrying a 5-shot (GASP)revolver or a walther PPS (I have to say that this is a reliable, accurate, thin lil weapon) on occasion. Unlike my spouse, my 1911 doesnt mind if I try out something different from time to time.

#77 ·
I do occasionally because I like them and I shoot them well. Really, the only reason I don't much more often is that because I've gotten too lazy to tote 40 oz. all day, when I can get 10 rds. of .45 in a smaller package that weighs 30 oz. fully loaded.

#87 ·
That's all that I carry, and have for two decades. They conceal nicely, go bang every time requested, and hit where I'm aiming. Can't beat a good M1911 trigger. Started with a Kimber SS Ultra Carry, which I still occasionally carry, and switched to a Kimber Compact CDP 2 about 9 years ago for EDC. Don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

#88 ·
Cuz they kinda GROW on ya..If I had to explain it ....You wouldn't understand.:scruntiny::scruntiny:

Attachments

#89 ·

I don’t because I finally found a way to holster my 500 S&W

I found a nice system for my S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum, also.

I used to carry an Ed Brown Special Forces. It was great to shoot. I just didn’t care for having to reload, If necessary. I never found a great concealment holster for my 1911.

I switched to the S&W 442 and then finally with the S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#91 ·
I carry a traditional single stack .45 acp 1911 on occasion. The lack of capacity does get to me though. I feel most comfortable with at least 10 rounds in the gun. The last thing I want to worry about in a gun fight is having to re-load.

I also own a modern STI Staccato-P 9mm 2011. 18 rounds, very little recoil, excellent trigger, and extremely accurate. This gun is a dream to shoot, and I probably shoot it better than any other firearm.

I recently ran some drills from concealment to see what I was fastest on target with. Between two fullsize .45 1911's (with excellent triggers), two Glock 9mms, and my HK VP9, the VP9 was the winner for speed and accuracy. That's what I've been carrying the most as of late. Still need to run that drill & compare the VP9 to my STI.

The "modernized" 1911 (2011).

#95 ·
I also own a modern STI Staccato-P 9mm 2011. 18 rounds, very little recoil, excellent trigger, and extremely accurate. This gun is a dream to shoot, and I probably shoot it better than any other firearm. The "modernized" 1911 (2011).

Very nice! I'm a big fan of the STI 2011 pistols.

I have an STI Edge which holds 18+1 = 19 rounds of 40S&W HST 180 gr. ammunition. And it launches those rounds as softly as a 9mm carry gun launches 124 gr 9mm loads. Only thing is, the Edge is just a bit on the large/heavy side for EDC. But what a magnificent firearm it IS! AAA+

I wouldn't hesitate, for a second, to employ the STI Edge .40S&W as a defense pistol.

And, it can be concealed under a T-shirt! I've done it with no problems. Perhaps a bit of printing, if I squat down or bend over, but... so what? No big deal where I live. A little bit of printing, on occasion, is nobody's business by my own!

#92 ·
Carrying a double stack all steel commander 14+1.
I shoot it well and I am enthusiastic about carrying, shooting and training with it.
I've shot it enough in competition to deem it reliable so what more could you want?
Plus it carries nicely in AIWB for me and the weight handles the .45acp recoil well.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

#93 · (Edited)

Nope. Stopped carrying them regularly years ago.

Why? I find the M&P40 and M&P40C to carry more easily, offer equal or better reliability, offer higher round count, lower recoil, excellent terminal ballistics for HST 180 gr. .40S&W ammunition, they have excellent triggers, offer excellent defensive encounter accuracy, and the guns are easily and inexpensively replaced, if necessary.

That said, my long-running (and deep) love affair with the 1911 has not faded over the years - I still love the magnificent 1911!

I just find the M&P40 and M&P40C models make a lot more sense, as carry guns, to me.

#110 ·
#115 ·
Not yet, but I plan to carry this one some once I've had enough practice with it. I usually carry a Glock 26. View attachment 308254
Those new Springfield Defender Mil-Specs are a ton of gun for the money. I bought one and was very impressed with the fit, finish, accuracy, and shootability. I changed a couple of things to better suit my tastes and was very happy with it but a close friend wanted it and bugged me until I sold it to him. I might just have to buy another.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Brown

#119 ·
Because as much as I practice with my glock. I STILL shoot better with the Kimber, I just do.

#120 ·
I'll try with a new holster if I can find a comfy thinner leather holster (since Garrity is basically unreliable, as good as his thin holsters are). I picked up a new compact Wilson that could be carried but it is still pretty heavy so I need to test it. I love 1911s but hate stiff thick belts (I usually use single layer leather gun belts) so for me, there is a weight limit which "seems" to top out at the G26 weight. A compact 1911 may be doable but I need a holster first. If it does not work, I'll soon be sans 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.