Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

This is a discussion on Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree893Likes

Thread: Do You Still Carry a 1911? Why?

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar

Iím a fan of the 1911, and carried one for many years...many years ago. Fast forward to today, and in my opinion there are many pistols more suited to civilian carry. Iím just curious why some people still choose a 1911 as a CARRY gun given the choices of todayís pistols with lighter weight, greater capacity, and even arguably, more reliability.

Why not? Itís the gun that I shoot best & prefer. Iíve never had reliability issues with a 1911, granted sometimes I bought knowing they were base guns for a smith & the smith made them run like a top. If you hit what you aim at I donít see a 8 or 10 round magazine being much of a handicap. People talk about the weight savings of a polymer gun then in the next breathe they tell you they are carrying 3 - 20 round magazines, making the sum total of what they are carrying far more than a 1911 with 2-3 spare magazines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do You Still Carry a 1911?  Why?-leftovers.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry 1911s since that is what I am most comfortable with, except for one gun I no longer have I have had no reliability issues. As far as capacity I have no problems with 7-11 rounds (depending on caliber) but if I do want extra rounds I will just carry extra magazines. As far as the horrendous weight I have no problems, a good belt and holster makes it easy. Plus 100+ years and 4 wars are a tribute to its longevity.

Name:  45Colt.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  33.0 KB
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I sometimes carry one. I'd say ergonomics (every double-stack feels like a brick in comparison) and trigger quality are two valid reasons. It's also much thinner than, say, a Glock 17; and, fully loaded, an aluminum-framed 1911 is only a few ounces heavier.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I stopped a while back, for a J frame.

I moved from an Ed Brown Special Forces to a pocket carry because I can draw faster from the pocket. My hand is already on the gun when Iím walking.

The 1911 was my easily my 75 yard gun. The Ed Brown was super reliable. It had a tight group even at 15 and 20 yards.

I just didnít care to carry a spare magazine, so started with a 2 gun carry, instead. Eventually I moved to a 3 gun carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I love the way it shoots, the way it carries, the way it looks, the recoil impulse, the big fat heavy round, itís history, design, and itís looks....for starters.

Its about as perfect a gun and caliber combo (45 auto) that one could have as a versatile sidearm.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I often carry one since I shoot it well, after competing with it for decades. When I dress for warm weather, I carry a smaller 1911-ish Kimber Micro 9 since that puts the controls where my muscle memory expects them. I'll admit to sometimes carrying an XD or Colt Detective Special mostly just for a change of pace. Defensive carry, I've come to realize, is more about what's above your collar than what's in your holster; sensors, attitude, judgement, alertness, knowledge.
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I love the way it shoots, the way it carries, the way it looks, the recoil impulse, the big fat heavy round, itís history, design, and itís looks....for starters.

Its about as perfect a gun and caliber combo (45 auto) that one could have as a versatile sidearm.
    Good post. I agree...except for me itís just not the best pistol for concealed carry. For shooting? Yes. History, looks, the feel, and the rest? Yes. But to carry around all day? I think thereís better choices now, for most people, including me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the design was imbued with magical properties by St. John Browning. Other guns can kill a bad guy's body. A 1911 will kill his soul. It is the Excalibur of handguns.

What other handgun has lasted so long, been carried by so many people, killed so many bad guys and is still the favorite of so many people, including professionals? There is no other explanation for that. Everybody should carry one. What is lighter weight and more capacity compared to magic?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

For people who like how they shoot and carry, why fix whatís not broken?
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Good post. I agree...except for me itís just not the best pistol for concealed carry. For shooting? Yes. History, looks, the feel, and the rest? Yes. But to carry around all day? I think thereís better choices now, for most people, including me..

If it is not the best "for you" @druryj don't carry it my brother! If "you think" there are better choices-choose them! It's just that simple!

We're not all alike! We all don't and won't like the same things in a carry piece. The gun world isn't cookie-cutter! That's why there are "OPTIONS" out there! I carry polymers in .40, 9mm and .45. I also have a custom made left-handed stainless steel 1911 in .45 that I love carrying from time to time. Why? Because that's what "I" like! I highly doubt that the bad guy(s) would stop you before you shoot him (them) and ask you;

"Say! Excuse me! What type of piece is that you are about to shoot me (us) with? Is it a polymer or 1911?" If it's a 1911, don't you know that there are better options out there to shoot me with?"

HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Good post. I agree...except for me itís just not the best pistol for concealed carry. For shooting? Yes. History, looks, the feel, and the rest? Yes. But to carry around all day? I think thereís better choices now, for most people, including me.

My LW Commander is not much heavier than a G19 and conceals much better for me. Sometimes I switch it out for an all steel Gov Model, and go 16 hour days at work, without any issues due to the weight. My carry rig of a BigFoot belt and Milt Sparks SS makes this a very reasonable all day choice for ME.

Lesser pilgrims may have more trouble pulling it off:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I'm 74 and I carry a 1911 every day. Been doing that for lot of years. For me the weapon just works. But some times I might cheat and carry a 2'' S&W for back-up.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links