Defensive Carry banner

Do You Carry a Glock? Why?

8K views 87 replies 70 participants last post by  Stevew 
#1 ·
In another thread recently, there was good discussion as to why some people choose to carry a 1911. The 1911 has been around awhile; it is a proven, reliable forearm that has served many well, including me. But let's shift gears a bit and discuss Glocks.

If you carry a Glock, why did you choose this brand? Which model do you normally carry each day? What are the advantages of the Glock Pistol to you over other the many other good pistols out today that led you to your choice?

#58 ·
I sometimes carry a GLOCK.

Good, solid guns. Like everyone says, they work and keep on working. Not perfect, but what carry gun is?

I have a great liking for single stack, metal framed pistols with hammers and also revolvers. Both are outdated, so to speak, but kind of were I am at right now.

Wouldn't hesitate to tuck a GLOCK into a holster at a moment's notice........

#59 ·
I'm not one of those people that believes in Glock perfection but what I find funny is for a long time I was a Glock hater and like most haters (of any kind) I really didn't know anything about Glocks and I didn't have any experience with them except what I read on the internet. All I knew was "Glock Leg" and that DEA agent who shot himself in the classroom.

Long story short, it wasn't until I started getting real training that I started to look for ways to streamline and simplify the process. Eventually I got to a point where I decided I didn't want to carry a gun with an external safety or decocker for self defense.

I sold off every handgun I owned but one and bought a Smith & Wesson M&P because I still didn't want to buy a Glock.

But in all the research I did prior to buying the M&Ps I kept coming back to the idea that with the*Glock*19 being almost exactly in the middle between the 9C and the 9 it really filled both slots.

The first generation M&P 9C (IMO) is just a little to big for what I wanted it for. It was just a little bit too big to be an at home carry gun. So I ended up selling it back to the gun shop I bought it from and buying a Glock 19.

I don't like tiny guns but I don't like a gun that's any bigger than it really has to be and the Glock 19 is just that little bit smaller than the Smith & Wesson M&P 9. There's also the fact that Glock magazines are around 30% cheaper than M&P magazines and that's really why I chose even a Glock over an M&P

#65 ·
I have a 26 that’s kinda been floating around the house. Bought it for my wife who wants no part of it. So I guess that sort of makes it mine.

We went to New Orleans last October. Had never been to the Deep South. Had heard it can be a rough town. But I also knew it would be warm and humid. Light clothes were in order.

So I cleaned it, lubed it, and took it to the range a few times before we went. Yep, shoots pretty good.

And I carried it all over the Quarter. Day, night, no problems. Hides very well. Totally confident in the weapon.

While I MUCH prefer a 1911, there are times when a smaller, lighter gun would be preferable. So I’ll always have a 26.

#66 ·
I've owned a total of 3 Glocks. Just 3. I have only 1 now, the G19 gen5. I don't carry it much at all! It takes a HUGE backseat to my HK's and Walthers. So, why do I have it? Plain and simple; the aftermarket accessories support for the Glock nationwide is out of this world! So, I have the Glock for "gp's" (general purpose) sake if need be. Other than that....the HK pistol brand is KING as far as I'm concerned! But, you already knew that about me, didn't you? :image035:

#67 ·
No Glucks in the house . Tried a couple thru the years but found nothing really changed between gen 1 and 5 to make me keep a gluck around . They just don't feel right . I also don't find the gluck after market is better than for M&P .

multistage for a 1911 guy I guess you should have a alloy framed officers or 3.24" ultra / defender sized 1911 in 9mm as the 4.5 oz difference does not matter compared to a wider gluck . Add thin grip panels and the 1.1 wide in the center of the grip panel s and conceals well enough for a little 5'-2 wife to conceal a Kimber stainless ultra 9mm along with 9round mags in it and 10 rounders as back up . She use to carry a m&p9c with a flat mag and apex striker block added only . That pistol's very close to the size of your g26 for size . Never did get the Deep South thing as my first 42 years were in SW FL carry'n real handguns including a 1911 officers model or firestar m40 and building homes .

#68 ·
I carry a Glock because I'm a driver, not a mechanic. The way I use my weapons, high round count training, austere environments, daily carry.

I would need to be able to tune and replace parts on another system like the 1911, while doable is just not as simple.

As is, I have several identically set up Glocks in case one goes down/and to keep rounds on my carry gun lower.

#69 · (Edited)
It's at this juncture in this thread that it's gotta be ask: How much of the undeniably ample aftermarket accessories and support market is really required for either the Glock or the 1911-gun? This would seem to indicate that both are faulty as they come out of the factory door and that just ain't so.

Are Glocks and 1911s that needy ... really, or is it that, if we'll admit it, we just enjoy fiddling with our guns, personalizing and playing "Barbie dress up" with 'em? Or, are we trying to buy our way to shooting proficiency with add-ons rather than ammunition and practice? One thing's for certain is that there is a whole lot of manipulation of shooters' though by this modification and accessorizing market business.

I only have personal observations to draw from and while I haven't shot the lone Glock here much, I have and do shoot 1911-guns and revolvers extensively. Have always had ideal places available to shoot and ample opportunities to burn ammo and love doing it. It's been extensively done in fits and spurts in recent years though, but there have been a lot of years of shooting pressure put on some of the same ol' handguns on hand. I don't do anything to the guns but provide simple routine maintenance and they give perfect satisfaction.

#70 ·
It's at this juncture in this thread that it's gotta be ask: How much of the undeniably amply aftermarket accessories and support market is really required for either the Glock or the 1911-gun? This would seem to indicate that both are faulty as they come out of the factory door and that just ain't so.

Are Glocks and 1911s that needy ... really, or is it that, if we'll admit it, we just enjoy fiddling with our guns, personalizing and playing "Barbie dress up" with 'em? Or, are we trying to buy our way to shooting proficiency with add-ons rather than ammunition and practice? One thing's for certain is that there is a whole lot of manipulation of shooters' though by this modification and accessorizing market business.

I only have personal observations to draw from and while I haven't shot the lone Glock here much, I have and do shoot 1911-guns and revolvers extensively. Have always had ideal places available to shoot and ample opportunities to burn ammo and love doing it. It's been extensively done in fits and spurts in recent years though, but there have been a lot of years of shooting pressure put on some of the same ol' handguns on hand. I don't do anything to the guns but provide simple routine maintenance and they give perfect satisfaction.
For me it's a matter of preference and consistency. There are some things out there that allow me to run the gun better in the manner that I want to run my gun.

The Vickers/Tango Down slide stop being one of them. If you opt to use the slide stop as a release vs the overhand method its (or another type of slide stop) a needed upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#77 ·
I'm late to this, but this is a great thread. I wanted to avoid Glocks when I started CCW based on all the talk, but after a long search for my first CCW I settled on a G26 that I carried for 7 years before my P365 started taking carry time away from it (I bought the P365 to give me better concealment when "dressed up"). But I'll transition to my Gen 5 G19 for the winter months because it is easier to hide under winter shirts. Same for my G29 and G30 (both of which pack a LOT of power into a very small package and they both handle recoil very well).

It's good to see a lot of the features of Glocks getting highlighted here that normally get overlooked like their magazines. Two that I wanted to point out are the low bore-axis (which helps make the G29 and G30 so manageable) and the fact that Glock grip height is almost always 1/4" shorter than any other clone that has the same capacity. Every G19 clone that I know of is about 1/4" taller. This carries over to their other double stacks as well. Grip height is a big factor in concealability to me.

For me reliability and shootability is king and Glock is the best balance of the two and very consistent across calibers and sizes. I don't mind my Glock getting beat up and I know I can buy another one and it will function the same and be reliable out of the box. I'm one that does not modify my carry guns in any way except for the fact that I put a NY1 trigger on my G26 and G30 when I was new to CCW so it's nice to know what to expect with a stock pistol.

#83 ·
Do I carry a Glock? No
Why? A few reasons. I'm a bit old school and also a person who just doesn't want to do what everyone else is doing. I took a full day shooting class with one and I won't say I hate it, but it just didn't appeal to me. Probably an anomaly, one pistol in the class failed to slide lock a few times. They took that particular gun out of the class and dismissed that as needing cleaning.

While I understand the reliability is great and all, it just doesn't feel right. That's just my personal perception but most everyone else thinks different, which is fine.

#88 ·
Yeah, I carry a Glock sometimes. Never around the house. Usually when traveling, going to larger, more dangerous areas. When I carry a Glock it is a 19. I have a 22, it's too much trouble to conceal the little bit of gain over the 19. Have a 43, but it's one of the guns I shoot left with. I can shoot to aim with, but I have to watch myself. Love the way it feels in my hand though.

Around the house/slacker farm I prefer revolvers, 1911s, traditional Sigs because I find myself drawing, shooting and holstering quiet frequently from tractors and side by sides with seat belts on. I don't like jamming a gun into a holster under those conditions unless it has a hammer a can put my thumb on to feel that it isn't moving or a safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.