Defensive Carry banner

Do You Carry a Glock? Why?

8K views 87 replies 70 participants last post by  Stevew 
#1 ·
In another thread recently, there was good discussion as to why some people choose to carry a 1911. The 1911 has been around awhile; it is a proven, reliable forearm that has served many well, including me. But let's shift gears a bit and discuss Glocks.

If you carry a Glock, why did you choose this brand? Which model do you normally carry each day? What are the advantages of the Glock Pistol to you over other the many other good pistols out today that led you to your choice?

#2 ·
I own several glocks, my daily carry is a 30sf. It shoots well and carries well. As Clint Smith says "I carry a gun that works, with sights I can see".

I have a few in 9mm as well. To me the biggest benefit to Glock is that there are parts/magazines everywhere, which would be especially helpful if SHTF.

#3 ·
I like Glocks and carried various models of them in 9mm, .40, & .45 for approximately 3/4 of my law enforcement career. I currently have 3 Glocks and a Glock 26 that is in my EDC rotation. I also really like the S&W Shield series (better than the Glock 43) the Shield is also in my EDC rotation. I am currently considering either a P-365 or SA Hellcat to add to my line-up. The one thing I will say about Glocks is they have been an industry standard for a long time and they have a wide variety of accessories and holster options available. Just my .02 worth!

#5 ·
When I decided to start carrying, I knew I wanted a .45ACP as I knew how attention getting that big bore was at nose length. I'd shot a 1911 a time or two but the cocked & locked was a bit concerning to my inexperienced mind. I picked up the G30 at its military price and immediately liked it. I,don't have any issues with the grip size, even with small-medium sized hands. The trigger was fine to me, and a couple extra rounds over a 1911 didn't hurt. I installed the extended slide stop release because I "use it," and later installed a G21 smooth trigger, preferring that over the ridged trigger.

While maybe not the best gun for some, it met my needs and isn't going anywhere.

#6 ·
I owned one of the first Glocks, a Gen 1 G17 to hit the shores of this country in the early 80’s. I then got a G20 and began experimenting with the 10mm, and continued to do so even when it fell out of favor for the 40S&W. Back then the only company where you could get real 10mm ammo was Double Tap, they kept it alive, so if you like the 10mm DT deserves the business; everyone else like Underwood and Buffalo Bore are Johnny come lately’s.

My LE career started as a small town officer for a year and a half, before taking a higher paying gig in corrections. From that time I carried a M19 or M66 357 until we adopted the G19 in 1998. In 1999-2000, we jumped to the G22. At that time, they allowed for “ grandfathering -in” so I could carry the 357, 38, , 9mm, and 40 with the Sig and Walter 380’s authorized also for off duty and back up.

So from the early 80’s until currently, Glocks have served me faithfully and I have carried one just about anyway you can think of, just about every where I have cared to go. They are excellent guns with a well deserved reputation, and I currently own 3, which I may still carry without hesitation as the fancy hits me to do so.

And, I might add, it was fun to watch S&W try to chase their tails and try to make a copy of the Glock that didn’t get them sued over over patent infringement, which happened with their first polymer abortion, the S&W Sigma.

And it was years before anyone else got in the race.

#7 ·
The Glock is the current small block 350 of handguns.

I have a saved cart on Brownells and with a couple mouse clicks I have have a complete gun set up the way I want including sights and barrel swap with no gunsmith needed and done in about 40 minutes.

On top of that I have a pretty easy to use, reliable, high capacity handgun with a nice stock of service parts at my house.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
A Glock 19 may not be*the best*gun but it sure checks a lot of the boxes.

To me the 19 is just that perfect combination of size of size and capacity. I can carry it all day long and not notice the weight of the pistol. A 15 round magazine and two reloads is well beyond more than I am ever likely to need and I can load them from one box of ammunition instead of having a bunch of boxes with odd round counts lying around.

I've already said if I was only allowed one gun it would be my Glock 26. Because it's more concealable and easier to carry at home than my 19 and because I can use a 19 magazine in a 26 but I can't use a 26 magazine in a 19 (I can't legally acquire a 17 magazine in Colorado).

However if I was only allowed a Glock 19 I could make it work. A Glock 19 isn't too big for home carry and it's not too small for a nightstand gun. It is a little big for carry in an NPE but I can and have done it.

In general Glock has a lot more after market support than almost any other manufacturer out there. Anything you can come up with to put on a Glock (including a bayonet) somebody out there makes one.

#9 ·
I carry a G26 a couple of days a week and for many years I carried only Glocks. I appreciate the Glocks ruggedness, reliability, small number of parts, and infinite number of accessories. I own two G19s, a G17,a G26, a G30SF, and a Glock20SF.

All that aside, today I primarily carry Sigs.

#10 ·
While I did have one in the past, I do not presently carry a glock.

Why?

I have found that plastic is too light of a material for the main material of the frame. While it is nice to carry a light plastic based pistol I have found that the performance during actual use is inferior to a metal based frame. I don't value light weight over performance so this is one deal breaker for me.

Glocks trigger performance is sub standard which I have found is due to the nature of the striker fire system and the fact that the trigger is plastic. I always remove plastic triggers on any pistol I own and replace them with metal ones as that is a performance enhancement for me. Poor trigger action is another deal breaker for me.

Ergonomics are a major consideration for me and unfortunately glocks ergonomic profile is poor. Nothing can be done to change this so thats another deal breaker.

#13 ·
Glock restored my faith in semi autos, after the disaster that was Kahr, which almost turned me into a revolver-only guy.

My Glock Sport/Combat holster will carry my G19 or 26. It covers the mag catch, which is important and overlooked. My 19 mags work in my 26, and in my Ruger PC carbine. If I feel like a .45, my G30 works exactly the same as my 9mm Glocks.

What you see is a system. A system that just plain works.

Glock mags are the best in the business. Yes they’re fat, because the polymer protects the steel from drops while the steel adds strength to the polymer. No, I don’t care that almost all other pistol mags are bare steel. Drop them on concrete, when empty (no rounds inside to keep the mag body supported), then step on them as you move. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

I learned to shoot the Glocks damn well, before there was an internet to tell me the sights, trigger, grip angle and thickness sucked. Huh. Who knew? All I knew is, as a newbie, I spanked all the older guys at the local gun club with their tricked-out 1911s...with my box-stock G19.

Glock service, when needed, has been outstanding.

I’ve added night sights (TFO/TFX), the Glock extended slide lock (yes I use it) and the Striker Control Device to my carry Glock 26 for an extra measure of safety when holstering. Also a GAP floor plate on my G26 10 rd mag for a bit better grip. My home defense G19 has a Glock light mounted. No other mods.

They’re not pretty, but are good looking in their own utilitarian way.

I see no reason to get anything else.

#21 ·
Glock restored my faith in semi autos, after the disaster that was Kahr, which almost turned me into a revolver-only guy.

That is funny, because a Glock 26 that is the least reliable gun I have owned by a wide margin is what drove me to be a revolver guy.

That said, I know most folks have better luck with them. I like many things about them, and I think the G19 would be just about the perfect CCW if the trigger wasn't so horrible. Coincidentally, I decided today to sell off my two remaining Glocks and replace them with guns with better triggers. So you Glock guys PM me if you're looking for a G19 or G42!

#14 ·
1). I have the utmost trust in Glocks, so that’s what I carry. Glock is the ONLY pistol that I’ve never had problems with
2). Glock mags are basically indestructible, so I don’t worry about sitting on them
3). I have big hands and Glocks fit my hand a lot better than other “more ergonomic” guns
4). I like the flat, blocky shape because I think it helps directionality and pointability
5). For complete tear downs, I really like Glocks pins much more than the spring pins used on other guns. I can remove Glock pins with anything at hand, whereas you need a hammer and punches for spring pins. Plus you can only put those spring pins in so many times before you screw up the frame

#15 ·
Another reason I like the Glock is for a reason most complain about; the grip angle.

When practicing CQB drills, it presents the front sight high, and allows for quick acquisition when using the flash sight picture technique.
A real plus when shooting on the move.

#16 ·
I do carry either a G19 or G43 everywhere I go. I'm no fan boy and have been on a search to replace both, but so far nothing really fits any better for me !!!! The aftermarket supply is endless....I needed a few things to make mine right, but there's many threads going down that hole. There's just so many choices out there but the journey is quite expensive !!!!

#17 ·
I did carry them some and now I don't own any. I had both ends of the line in the G20 and G43. I just found guns I like shooting better and that I tend to shoot better with. I really don't care for striker fired guns. I tried em and they were all reliable shooters but, I went back to hammers.

#18 ·
I didn't get my first Glock until 2010 which for a guy who has been at it since the last ice age is relatively late in the game. I did get a Glock in 2010 and wondered why I had waited so long. Unlike some guys I like Glock triggers, Glock grip angle, and general Glock ergonomics. Add the sheer utility of the guns with their ease of maintenance, reliability and availability of anything you need for them to the fact that I shoot the darned things pretty well and you have my reasons for carrying a Glock. Since 2010 my Glock inventory has increased of course. I'm frequently carrying a Glock 30 these days except when I'm carrying a Glock 19x or one of the other 9MMs in the fleet.

#19 ·
I carry a G20 daily, & swap out my Xd Sub-Compact .40 with my G27, depending on some factors. I own G29, G30s, & a G40 also. My daily carry below. Didn't own one till 2012. Got the G20, & since then I've purchased a few more. When I come to a time when this carry set up is not needed, I'm switching to carrying the G30s, G29, and an LCR in .357 mag. I take my time with considerations on what I carry, & when I'm set, it stays that way. Summer, Winter, it doesn't mater. Day in, day out, ALWAYS THE SAME!

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

#24 ·
I used to own and carry a few Glocks 30, 19, 17 then one day at a LGS I started fondling a 1911 and brought it home. Sold my Glocks and have not cared to fire one since. I do have a few plastic firearms for carry now, but no Glocks, there are just too many better options out there.

#25 ·
I have a number of Glocks. They are all very reliable and shoot well. I trust them to work when the chips are down. I prefer to leave them in stock condition. I carry whatever seems the most practical at the time - so not always a Glock - but often it is. If I was reduced to only one handgun, I would want it to be a Glock 17.

#27 ·
I started carrying back in the fall of 1985. I have carried different guns over the years. During a period of the time, I carried as part of my job - on and off duty. In 2005, I made the switch to the Glock 19. It has been my EDC since then (except for 2016 & 2017 when I EDCed a Walther PPS M2 and a Glock 43).

The 19 is the gun that fits my needs the best. I shoot it very good, it is extremely reliable, it is a gun that I can carry - year round. It is a gun that I have used during courses and competitions. In short, it just works for me. I have owned 30+ 19s, different Gens, colors, etc... My current 19s are Gen 4 Front Serrations variants. The Gen 4's smaller grip option fits my hand better than the Gen 3 and I like the front serrations, both for how it looks and for the added benefit when doing a press check.

As an added note, my wife also has been EDCing since the mid 80s, like me different guns over the years. In 2005 she switched to the Glock 26 and has EDCed the same 26 since then.

#29 ·
In another thread recently, there was good discussion as to why some people choose to carry a 1911. The 1911 has been around awhile; it is a proven, reliable forearm that has served many well, including me. But let's shift gears a bit and discuss Glocks.

If you carry a Glock, why did you choose this brand? Which model do you normally carry each day? What are the advantages of the Glock Pistol to you over other the many other good pistols out today that led you to your choice?

I carry a Glock most days. I chose this brand for its reputation for reliability and durability, the fact that they shoot well, magazine capacity and magazine flexibility between models. The fact that I can get a decent discount through the Blue Label Program is some icing on the cake, too.

A little background. I used to hate Glocks. I thought they were butt-ugly. But a friend had me shoot his G21, and the way it came back on target amazed me. I gained a new-found appreciation for them. And I started looking into them.

My normal EDC is a G45 with GNS (Glock Night Sights). I chose it because I shoot it well. It fits my hand well, the Glock Night Sights offer a quick sight picture, and because it comes back on target so readily, I can get quick, accurate follow-up shots, PLUS, it's got 17+1 capacity. (and 2 spare 17 rd magazines.) Other carry options are the G30SF, with 2 spare G21 magazines; the Sig P365 as my 'church gun', and either a full-size Colt 1911 series 80 or the 3" Colt Defender.

Basically, I chose Glocks for their capacity, for their reputation for reliability, their reasonable cost, and the fact that they just work. There's a video out there on YouTube about a Glock 30 that was buried in the dirt (not in a bag) for 2 years, then was dug up, rinsed off, and they proceeded to dump 500 rounds through it. There are, I know, other brands out there that are just as reliable, and I tried many of them, but circled back to the Glock because of how they shoot. All of my Glocks are double-stack models. If I want to carry a single stack, it'll be a 1911. In that respect, I (personally) see no use for a single-stack plastic gun.

LimaCharlie said plastic guns have no soul and I totally agree. But my defensive weapon need not have soul to be effective. A microwave oven has no soul but it still heats up food. Oh, and Glocks, in my opinion, are still butt-ugly!

Reactions: ETXhiker
#30 ·
I've owned and carried several Glock models (30, 26, and 19 in that order). In general, Glocks have stood the test of time and can be counted on to function when you need them too. That said, I now carry a SIG P320 because I shoot it better than my Glocks and, at more than 6000 rounds, it has shown itself to be equally reliable. In the end, each of us has to find what works best for our individual carry needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.