Looks like the ladies at work are arming themselves

This is a discussion on Looks like the ladies at work are arming themselves within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As far as I know, there is no weapons policy here at work, although it is a state office. There are no gun buster signs ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Looks like the ladies at work are arming themselves

As far as I know, there is no weapons policy here at work, although it is a state office. There are no gun buster signs on the doors either.
    I carry, and have always carried under the umbrella of LEOSA since I started here, but just keep my mouth shut.

In the past, due to the nature of removing children from homes that are unfit and unsafe for them, and also being in the same building as the Welfare office, we always have incidents and altercations here.
    They do provide armed security, but he is a young guy, and has no legal authority.

Over the last couple of years of interaction with the staff (social workers) , I have had a few suggest they carry, and even one to show me her OFFICER sized ATI 45.

Then, a couple of days ago, my supervisor calls me in the office, and tells me to shut and lock the door.
    Im wondering what this is about, because she has this big smile on her face.

She gets her purse, and pulls out a new Springfield HellCat, and hands it to me. She is very proud of her new gun:)
    She tells me that she has joined a group of woman who meet once a month, and shoot together.

Im pretty stunned by this, because I always figured this is a pretty liberal environment.

Apparently, all the other Supervisors are packing too! This is a huge deal.

She asked me about training her and the others. I told her that we could do that; free to her and all at work, after she had her fundamentals down. And, if she or they needed help with that, then we could do that too.

In any event, I’m super stoked to see the ladies here taking responsibility for their own safety.

A new new culture has arrived in this work place.

And I don’t think it bodes well for anyone who wants to come here seeking revenge with an ax to grind.
    flh, Haywood, TSKnight and 53 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

That's refreshing news to hear. Teach them well.

VIP Member
    Love to hear good news stories like this.
    People taking responsibility for their own protection.
    Teach them well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Hopefully any "bad influence" you may have helpfully exuded has rubbed off.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Thanks for that uplifting piece of news. Some folks are moving in the right direction.
    OldChap, G-man*, ETXhiker and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    As far as I know, there is no weapons policy here at work, although it is a state office. There are no gun buster signs on the doors either.
    I carry, and have always carried under the umbrella of LEOSA since I started here, but just keep my mouth shut.

In the past, due to the nature of removing children from homes that are unfit and unsafe for them, and also being in the same building as the Welfare office, we always have incidents and altercations here.
    They do provide armed security, but he is a young guy, and has no legal authority.

Over the last couple of years of interaction with the staff (social workers) , I have had a few suggest they carry, and even one to show me her OFFICER sized ATI 45.

Then, a couple of days ago, my supervisor calls me in the office, and tells me to shut and lock the door.
    Im wondering what this is about, because she has this big smile on her face.

She gets her purse, and pulls out a new Springfield HellCat, and hands it to me. She is very proud of her new gun:)
    She tells me that she has joined a group of woman who meet once a month, and shoot together.

Im pretty stunned by this, because I always figured this is a pretty liberal environment.

Apparently, all the other Supervisors are packing too! This is a huge deal.

She asked me about training her and the others. I told her that we could do that; free to her and all at work, after she had her fundamentals down. And, if she or they needed help with that, then we could do that too.

In any event, I’m super stoked to see the ladies here taking responsibility for their own safety.

A new new culture has arrived in this work place.

And I don’t think it bodes well for anyone who wants to come here seeking revenge with an ax to grind.
    I cannot lay my hands on the photo of the grinning Cheshire cat, but I found a fair drawing...the caption should read..."EXCELLENT"

Looks like the ladies at work are arming themselves-126492962-352-k690272.jpg
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Doesn’t sound like you’re really working in a NPE...which is a good thing. Heck, at this rate, you all might be able to start open carrying.

Great of you to offer them training.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Good for them!
    Support them all you can. Social workers/Child protection services have a tough job and are often cussed by both sides in a dispute.
    Have seen more than one worker threatened/injured doing their job.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Not wanting to be the negative Nancy, But I hope part of the training you give tells them to stop showing people they have a gun! all it takes in one employee to complain to the State and you will have all kinds of new rules! But good for the ladies for taking this on! And Good on you for helping them out! I hope it works for them! DR

That's awesome, I remember you telling me one of them would eventually get killed doing what they did, but that they were all very lib, and wouldn't carry or train.

Looks like you've won over a bunch of them and they can now benefit from your skills at training.
    G-man*, Old Man and airslot like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Not wanting to be the negative Nancy, But I hope part of the training you give tells them to stop showing people they have a gun! all it takes in one employee to complain to the State and you will have all kinds of new rules! But good for the ladies for taking this on! And Good on you for helping them out! I hope it works for them! DR
    That is a fair point.

I believe it’s one of those things where only those in your circle get told things.

And, I believe to, that the State has intentionally not banned firearms for several reasons here, one of them being to curtail the high turnover rate of employees due to the hazard of the job.

Another reason, is due to the sensitivity and confidentiality that has to be in place in order to help “ clients”, many of them who have active criminal warrants on them, that this building is considered a “ safe place” for them they don’t have to worry about as calling LE to get them when they come to visit their children.

And we know when they are in jail, and when they have warrants.

So, in that respect, I think it’s a trade-off.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Good for them!
    Support them all you can. Social workers/Child protection services have a tough job and are often cussed by both sides in a dispute.
    Have seen more than one worker threatened/injured doing their job.
    Absolutely. That’s one of the reasons I took this position was to help them out and handle the tougher clients.
    Most of these workers are just kids right out of college who have never been exposed to things like this before, and easily intimidated.

The only way to help the kids get back to their family’s is to work with the family’s and get them off drugs, in to rehab, and on a better road.

Most are not happy campers during the process...
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    That's awesome, I remember you telling me one of them would eventually get killed doing what they did, but that they were all very lib, and wouldn't carry or train.

Looks like you've won over a bunch of them and they can now benefit from your skills at training.
    Funny thing is, I never really pushed the issue.

I think, that the several incidents and threats we have had the last year has woke them up.
    One incident that happened was a worker was attacked and mauled by a dog ( that was supposed to have been put up) when she arrived for a home visit. The family didn’t help her and she almost lost her leg.

And now, we share the same building with a suboxone clinic....and we are right in the middle of da hood.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Excellent series of events, G-man! Good for you offering to help them with fundamentals!
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Illinois bans carry on public transportation systems. They also ban carry on any public transportation company grounds.
    What would happen to a transportation company employee who is caught carrying? What do you think the penalty would be? I'm sure that person would get fired.
    But many bus routes run through very high crime areas late at night. And you know what they say, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    Peace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links