SIG 320: Another problem.....

This is a discussion on SIG 320: Another problem..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SEPTA police to get new service weapons after Sig pistol accidentally fires "The Philadelphia Police Department is investigating an incident in which a SEPTA police ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: SIG 320: Another problem.....

VIP Member

SEPTA police to get new service weapons after Sig pistol accidentally fires

"The Philadelphia Police Department is investigating an incident in which a SEPTA police officer’s service weapon fired without manipulation while holstered. The incident occurred on August 26 during rush hour at Suburban Station while the officer and his partner were on patrol, according to a statement prepared by SEPTA. As the officers were exiting a SEPTA police cart they both “heard a loud bang” then smelled discharged gun powder. One of the officers found that his Sig Sauer P320, SEPTA police’s standard service weapon, discharged while secured in his thigh holster."

https://whyy.org/articles/septa-poli...urban-station/

"This is not the first reported incident where the P320 unintentionally fired. In 2018, CNN found nine other incidents of the weapon discharging when dropped or jostled."

SEPTA went with 350 Glock 17s
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I think the problems with the 320 have gone beyond "teething issues" with a new model, especially with as many of them as are being sold. Of course, there may also be more to this story than is being told.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

What rock have you been hiding under as this is an old story by now . Some people there wanted glucks so they replaced the p320 with glucks insted of find a real people that was not related to the low IQ officers and possible bad holster design like the 6360 safariland before the test results found to be nothing wrong with that officers handgun like others , NO other post update p320's have fired all on there own , simply bad habits .

Oh I carry ether a M&P P320 or Colt 1911 and have 5 more brands but nooo glucks .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    What rock have you been hiding under as this is an old story by now . Some people there wanted glucks so they replaced the p320 with glucks insted of find a real people that was not related to the low IQ officers and possible bad holster design like the 6360 safariland before the test results found to be nothing wrong with that officers handgun like others , NO other post update p320's have fired all on there own , simply bad habits .

Oh I carry ether a M&P P320 or Colt 1911 and have 5 more brands but nooo glucks .
    Yeah, that turned out to be a sham. I followed it closely on SigTalk when it came out months ago.
    Big Western, Wavygravy and APX-9M like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Yeah, that turned out to be a sham. I followed it closely on SigTalk when it came out months ago.
    Is there a link for that sig talk thread? I'd like to read it, because I don't suspect the p320 dis charged on its own. Thanks MM!
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    SEPTA police to get new service weapons after Sig pistol accidentally fires

"The Philadelphia Police Department is investigating an incident in which a SEPTA police officer’s service weapon fired without manipulation while holstered. The incident occurred on August 26 during rush hour at Suburban Station while the officer and his partner were on patrol, according to a statement prepared by SEPTA. As the officers were exiting a SEPTA police cart they both “heard a loud bang” then smelled discharged gun powder. One of the officers found that his Sig Sauer P320, SEPTA police’s standard service weapon, discharged while secured in his thigh holster."

"This is not the first reported incident where the P320 unintentionally fired. In 2018, CNN found nine other incidents of the weapon discharging when dropped or jostled."

SEPTA went with 350 Glock 17s

OP that weblink is dead- 404 Page not found- and it turns out you didn't post the most recent piece which states that Philadelphia police found the pistol to be functioning properly. Here is the part you appear to have left out intentionally, because you had to read past it to get to some of what you quoted.

"A preliminary inspection of the weapon found no cause for the weapon’s firing without manipulation.

The agency will replace all service weapons used by officers, “out of an abundance of caution,” said SEPTA spokesperson Andrew Busch."

MMinSC, APX-9M and southswede1 like this.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    Is there a link for that sig talk thread? I'd like to read it, because I don't suspect the p320 dis charged on its own. Thanks MM!
    Let me see if I can find it. That was back in the summer. I think you found the more important part in your post #6.
    Anyone familiar with SEPTA would have taken this whole incident with a grain of salt immediately(I was born there).
    APX-9M and Big Western like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post

Well, certainly must be true if CNN reported it, because we all know CNN would not report anything if it were not true.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Link doesnt work. I read a couple stories about this earlier. Nothing says what the problem was.

So...what is the rest of the story?
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Well, certainly must be true if CNN reported it, because we all know CNN would not report anything if it were not true.
    It's wrong to conflate a "non upgraded P 320 firing when dropped on its rear slide face", with a P 320 'just firing by itself while holstered', in the same way it's wrong to conflate law full immigration with the issue of illegal immigrants- both are examples of two unrelated things. But CNN threw all the p320 stuff together so it must be true, LOL
    Last edited by Big Western; December 13th, 2019 at 10:22 AM.
    APX-9M and Havok like this.

- Mike Hughes of Gunsite

I guess SEPTA never heard of gluck leg so what are they gona do when some under trained mutt wearing a badge shoots him self with a gluck . Give them sling shoots .
    Big Western likes this.

Mine kaboomed during an individual drill in a high level class, with everyone watching.

May have been ammo: I ran 3000 round of that in consecutive lots through 3 different guns. That single round would have been the only issue.
    The ammo vendor reported he received several similar calls from customers about P320's using multiple different types of their ammo.

It could have been the gun fired OOB.

I still have not sent it in, Sig's response before ever seeing the gun was ammo related. I may have accepted that answer if they had examined the weapon, but to buy that without their having looked at
    the P320...
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Mine kaboomed during an individual drill in a high level class, with everyone watching.

May have been ammo: I ran 3000 round of that in consecutive lots through 3 different guns. That single round would have been the only issue.
    The ammo vendor reported he received several similar calls from customers about P320's using multiple different types of their ammo.

I still have not sent it in, Sig's response before ever seeing the gun was ammo related. I may have accepted that answer if they had examined the weapon, but to buy that without their having looked at
    the P320...
    Could it have been the heat of your gun set the round off? I've never seen it but have heard it said. That wouldn't explain the Phili story which doesn't make sense as told.
    matthew03 likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Mine kaboomed

If the bar is so low as to reject all pistols that ever had an issue with drop firing, or with the potential for an ND due to some safety flaw, or a history of kabooms, none of us would be shooting glock, walther, s&w, ruger, beretta, fn, sprinfield, sig, et al, because they've all had one or more of the above.

I'd have to get rid of my beloved glocks because of the drop fire problem (resolved with the 6 component upgrade), or the hundreds of kabooms in glock's history.

I'd be barred from ever buying a walther, because despite them being a small company with a small product line, they've had five different models recalled for drop firing and potential for NDs.
    MMinSC and hardluk1 like this.

- Mike Hughes of Gunsite

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    Could it have been the heat of your gun set the round off? I've never seen it but have heard it said. That wouldn't explain the Phili story which doesn't make sense as told.
    A cook off, I don't think that's really a thing outside of full autos. In my case no, gun was cold, it was a two rounds from concealment on steel, the first round hit, the second went up in a big puff of smoke and the extractor disintegrated.
    Grizzly2 and Bad Bob like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links