Sig P365 - the obvious choice? - Page 5

Sig P365 - the obvious choice?

This is a discussion on Sig P365 - the obvious choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bklynboy I was set on getting a 365 to replace my Walther PPS. When I went to to the LGS I also ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: Sig P365 - the obvious choice?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I was set on getting a 365 to replace my Walther PPS. When I went to to the LGS I also tried the 365XL and ended up with that. the 365XL is almost the same size as the PPS except it is a bit narrower, allows me a full three finger grip and carries 12 +1 in the flush mag. I rarely pocket carry, but the XL fits in the PPS pocket holster so I can carry in a jacket pocket. I never carry in a pants pocket
    I really like the XL version better than the standard as well. You're just shy of the capacity of a G19 sized double stacks, but you still get the velocity. Plus it's still small and thin enough to conceal well.
    MMinSC and Holmes375 like this.

VIP Member
    Was at the range today with my daughter. She wanted to try some smaller 9mm pistols so I borrowed the P365 among others. Neither of us liked it at all. I was shooting well today and, truth be told, shot far worse with it than even with the LCP. I normally shoot a PPS Classic in that size range and was getting my normal X ring clusters with it without any problem. Not sure if it was that its the hot new rental and been shot a LOT or what but neither of us (with very different shooting styles and hand sizes) preferred it. Glad it works for some and glad I got to try it without buying it.
    Pain and SmitKoWitz like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I have had my Sig Sauer P365 for over a year.

I still amazes me because of the capacity for the size. It has excellent shoot ability, a great trigger, excellent sights, and concealability.

One thing that I find is the limitation is that the shorter barrel makes the ballistics less potent. The ammunition comes out subsonic from a short barrel. That goes for any micro carry gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I shoot subsonic 147gr anyway in 9mm anyway. In the p365, or G43 I might switch up to the 124gr jhp or a 127gr +P+

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I'm on SigTalk as well.

This is the internet so most of the experts professing the unreliability of the 365 of course have no actual experience with them. A few here have shared their experience(real experience), but the vast majority are completely happy. If it was as unreliable as the people that do not own one claim. Sig would not be selling so many of them.
    ^^^^ This!

I have a P365 with a born date of November 2018. It has over 800 rounds through it with zero issues. It replaced the P938 as my primary EDC. Having said that, I'm still intrigued by the Hellcat, but I want to shoot one first and wait for any reliability issues to raise their ugly heads.
    1gunsnowbird and MMinSC like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    We bought two that were built in 2019. One was reliable, but after a few trips back to SIG the other still couldn't get thru 50 rounds without a FTF or stovepipe.

So I can confidently say the early issues are not fixed.
    So, based on your experience of ONE gun, you can conclusively say that the issues have NOT been fixed??

Indiana Highway Patrol has adopted the P365 as its official BUG for all its Troopers.

When I was a kid, my Dad was a small town Chevy dealer. Occasionally, we got in a car that was just a Lemon. Couldn't explain it, but that ONE car would came back into the shop again and again and again for
    repairs....

the vast majority of new cars were normal and required normal maintenance. This was WAY back before the Lemon laws. For that matter, I had a brand new F350 Ford Powerstroke that Ford bought back due to the Lemon-law....my replacement truck has lasted for 320,000 miles.

I think your P365 was just a Lemon.

I do own Sigs, but I also own Glocks, Kimbers, Colts, Rugers, Springfield EMP and one Taurus so I'm not a "Fan boy" of Sig.
    MMinSC, smoke33, Coltfan1 and 3 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Take a Dremel to a new gun? Not for me, thanks.
    I don't do mechanic work on cars, pianos, guitars, or guns. I just drive, play, and/or shoot them. Didn't inherit the "handyman gene", I guess.
    Bah...the P365 grip modules can be replaced if you mess up. I removed the beavertail on my XL grip. It interfered with my draw stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    I traded in my original P365 (which I absolutely loved) for a P365 with a manual safety (and I love this gun even more).

I happened to to have the opportunity to shoot rental [email protected] shield and P365 (neither mine) at a range a couple of months ago. I did like them both, but the smaller P365 was more accurate to the target for me.

when in doubt, buy both, but if you absolutely have to make a choice, you'll likely prefer the Sid P365. (This coming from a Ruger aficionado).
    MMinSC and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    We bought two that were built in 2019. One was reliable, but after a few trips back to SIG the other still couldn't get thru 50 rounds without a FTF or stovepipe.

So I can confidently say the early issues are not fixed.
    If it has been back more than 2 times, tell them you want a new gun.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Take a Dremel to a new gun? Not for me, thanks.
    I don't do mechanic work on cars, pianos, guitars, or guns. I just drive, play, and/or shoot them. Didn't inherit the "handyman gene", I guess.
    I am quite handy but would be afraid to start cutting away at most poly guns. You only get one shot at those.
    The 365 is modular though and the grip frames are $20. The cost of failure is low. And discreet.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I’ve got two p365s. I really like them. One has the manual safety, which is the one that I carry regularly at this point. Before the 365 came out, I wanted a G43, but I also lived In Kommiforniastan at the time. The only way for a non-LEO to get one there, is second hand on consignment (from a LEO...in my old town LEOs will often buy two, at the low LEO price, and then sell one on consignment, making enough money to buy the first gun plus about 2000 rds of practice ammo). The price for a second hand consigned G43 in that area was around $1250 at the time. The 365 came out right before we moved to AZ. I waited until some of the bugs were worked out of it, then bought my first one. When the manual safety version came out, I bought one of those. I carry with a 12rd mag unless I’m pocket carrying it. I prefer 12+1 to 6+1.

I also have a Shield. I don’t like it and thought about trading it in, but after talking with the folks at the LGS, it was apparent that I wouldn’t get much for it because they’re so inexpensive to begin with. So I’ve kept mine as a stash gun. As in, located in the house somewhere that little hands won’t get it, nor will a thief in the night, but I know where it is and can access it easily.

To be fair to @seery , I still see people posting issues with their recently purchase P365s on other forums. It's probably a small percentage compared to how many of these Sig is selling, but the fact remains that some people are still having similar reliability problems with their examples of one. The thing is, I'm not seeing the same number of owners post similar issues when the M&P Shield, Glock 43,48, etc, XDs, or with the Hellcat yet. Not sure what the difference is between the majority of the P365s and the smaller percentage that are having problems. QC, differences in tolerances, use of older problematic components (until they're all gone), or what.
    seery likes this.

All the guns you mention are good choices.....it is kind of like Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument....that is the one that fits you best is the best for you. I love the Ruger LC9S-Pro and I shoot it well. Carry it with one extra magazine for a total of 15 rounds.....when I was L.E. in the early 70's we carried wheel guns with 6 rounds plus a 6 round bandoleer; then it was 12 round bandoleer; then two speed loaders. So with a maximum of 18 rounds I have never found I needed more rounds....not being active L.E. I like the combo I carry as it is accurate and balances well. I have faith in this combination for me and since we are retired L.E.. I suggest that situational awareness; faith in your weapon; and faith in your ability will let you pervail in a bad situation. If it comes to a mass shooting situation there is no run for us as my better half is on a cane...so for us hide and then fight is our alternatives....so with those choices and faith in the weapon I carry we will be ok. So I suggest to carry what you have faith in and then practice....practice....and practice more and if spam hits the fan you will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by APX-9M View Post
    To be fair to @seery , I still see people posting issues with their recently purchase P365s on other forums. It's probably a small percentage compared to how many of these Sig is selling, but the fact remains that some people are still having similar reliability problems with their examples of one. The thing is, I'm not seeing the same number of owners post similar issues when the M&P Shield, Glock 43,48, etc, XDs, or with the Hellcat yet. Not sure what the difference is between the majority of the P365s and the smaller percentage that are having problems. QC, differences in tolerances, use of older problematic components (until they're all gone), or what.
    When talking about anecdotal numbers of problems of different pistols, the rate (number of problems relative to number sold) of problems is what matters because that allows for a fair and equal comparison. That the P 365 has been the run away best selling pistol for the last two years could explain away any perception that it might have more claimed problems than the other pistols.
    Last edited by Big Western; December 20th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

Quote Originally Posted by APX-9M View Post
    I really like the XL version better than the standard as well. You're just shy of the capacity of a G19 sized double stacks, but you still get the velocity. Plus it's still small and thin enough to conceal well.
    Same here.

Nothing wrong with the regular 365, it's great, but I have my 938 for pocket carry. As an AIWB, I think the XL really offers a lot. A little bit more sized like a "real gun" to make handling easier, yet incredibly thin for capacity. I think it make a great shorts and t-shirt summer gun for me.

Another thing I like it the ability to swap to the regular 365 grip module for when the shorter 10 round grip is needed for concealment.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    When talking about anecdotal numbers of problems of different pistols, the rate (number of problems relative to number sold) of problems is what matters because that allows for a fair and equal comparison. That the P 365 has been the run away best selling pistol for the last two years could explain away any perception that it might have more claimed problems than the other pistols listed in one of the posts above this.
    What figures are you basing this on? It's my understanding that S&W and GLock out sell Sig in the handgun market. I also know Glock and S&W especially have sold a hell of a lot of single stack 9mms. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what your source is that the P365 has out sold the the competition by far especially when they sell less pistols in general.

I did hear that they sold a lot, but I don't recall the exact number or where I heard it. I know in 2018 GunBroker had it on top, but it doesn't look like GunBroker or Buds have it as the best seller so far. Anyone know how many they actually made?

As to your other statement, there have been a lot of G43s, Shields, and other popular pistols sold that have been around longer than the P365 and have sold more, like the Shield for example, and I'm not seeing separate non affiliated people claiming to have similar issues across multiple independent sites in comparison. If we started a G43 or Shield thread, there's likely to be nothing but praises. It is what it is. Not to long ago there was a thread on TheHighRoad where more than one member who had a recent example reported the same issues. With that said, I am seeing a lot more people who say they got a good one than those who report problems, but there still seems to be some problematic p365s out there. It's just something to take with a grain of salt, and it wouldn't keep me personally from buying one.

Not sure if we can link to other forums or not, if not, I'll remove the link. Here's the thread I seen from other owners. I'm seeing similar mixed results on Gun.Deal comments, threads on other forums, and on YouTube.. in comparison to other big sellers, I'm just not seeing the same things. I have no dog in this fight, I'm not bashing the P365, and I almost purchased one on Black Friday for $400. I'm just give an unbiased report of what I'm seeing and hearing.
    Last edited by APX-9M; December 21st, 2019 at 12:41 PM.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links