Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation? - Page 2

Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by beebee Its too early to say its a "problem child".. As of now, the safety is very stiff, but it is loosening ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Its too early to say its a "problem child".. As of now, the safety is very stiff, but it is loosening with use.
    Hopefully, I can get it to the point where its a simple one thumb push down operation with no chance of its sticking when I least want it to..

the discharge when dropped scenarios are mostly anecdotal, but from all i have read, it is a remote possibility, and I guess I simply was not ready for that in well made, well regarded, modern weapon...

From all indications, a very reliable, very small pocket .22 does not exist in the modern age. Most of the reliable .22 pistols are as large as compact 9mm and .380 carry guns.. there are more very small pocket guns in .25/.32/.380 and even 9mm than there are in .22LR.. It was either this or the Taurus PT22 in a small pocket .22 semi auto. Both seem pretty scetchy for many owners.. I thought I bought the better gun, but that remains to be seen.. this gun as of now really needs some range time, and a lot of rounds through it, and some handling time, to see if its really workable on even a "light duty" carry schedule such as when I am mowing the lawn or maybe out in my boat on a lake, fishing... bob
    Manual safeties shouldn't be so stiff that it takes two hands to actuate, nor should they loosen with use.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Discharge when dropped has nothing to do with the safety. Rifles and shotguns have safeties, but I would not carry with a round in the chamber because they are NOT drop-safe. Too many a hunter has relied on that when crossing a fence and had a discharge when the gun fell over. Also, many revolvers are not drop-safe. As for the particular pistol in question, can't comment on the history of discharge if dropped "just so." I do know a specific Sig model has such an issue.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I realize it is more CYA than anything else.. I was more concerned about discharge if dropped.. Don;t think that could happen hammer down in DA as you stated.. It has about the same DA feel on the first shot as my P32, maybe a bit harder. but certainly doable,, After that the SA is short and crisp... I am not planning on carrying it much anyway, and as of right now, what I really need on it is some serious range time.. Running drills with it, clean and fondling etc, is all fine, but I need to know it a lot better before trusting it 100%... bob
    There is a Quarter cock notch that itís not laying on the firing pin if thatís your concern. Technically if not in that position it could land on the hammer and discharge the changes are slim. The quarter notch is designed with this in mind and is barely discernible and wonít snag.
    TSKnight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Especially if its in a holster, as it should be.
    Correct which mine is. Some donít use one I have a little desantis that has a rubber coating to stick in the pocket.

ETA: Some people worry about the draw stroke or if they drop one in a pocket. Proper trigger disciple fixes that

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Manual safeties shouldn't be so stiff that it takes two hands to actuate, nor should they loosen with use.
    Not going to argue, I am sure you know more about guns than I do, but I have had a bunch of very good handguns with safeties that were really really stiff, that settled into much easier operating with some use and lubrication.. My Sig 938 for one, as well as my M&P 9mm.. they were really stiff until i worked them a bit.. Not as stiff as this 21A, but I have it where its a LOT better now, by lubing and working it.. First few days, it was unusable as it was.. As we know, metal to metal surfaces can have microscopic "high spots", that will wear in quickly.. Only my unqualified opinion, but its responded very well to the small amount of work I have done.. If it gets too loose, then I would worry.. I just tried it again, and it was SO much better that it was the first few days I had it.. I think it will be fine.. We'll see.... bob

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Would Beretta recommend a law enforcement officer carry the gun with an empty chamber?
    Depends on if their lawyers differentiate between carry by LE and non-LE. My guess is, "unlikely." In the event of a lawsuit, a municipality or other jurisdiction backing a LE agency will likely have deeper pockets than Joe Baggadonuts average citizen.
    OldChap likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    There is a Quarter cock notch that itís not laying on the firing pin if thatís your concern. Technically if not in that position it could land on the hammer and discharge the changes are slim. The quarter notch is designed with this in mind and is barely discernible and wonít snag.
    yes I was aware of that, and tried it out without a round chambered. Was not sure exactly what to do with it.. When quarter cocked, its still a DA first pull correct?.. Does it lessen the trigger travel at all?.. Again, as I stated I need to get some time at the range so i can see how everything relates.. I will read up on the quarter cock notch in the manual... bob

yes I was aware of that, and tried it out without a round chambered. Was not sure exactly what to do with it.. When quarter cocked, its still a DA first pull correct?.. Does it lessen the trigger travel at all?.. Again, as I stated I need to get some time at the range so i can see how everything relates.. I will read up on the quarter cock notch in the manual... bob
    It lessens it but only slightly itís still a heavy DA simply a bit of creep instead of immediate weight.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Manufacturers have carry recommendations?
    Yeah, I've never heard this one. Perhaps I have missed something in the owner's manuals of handguns I have purchased.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA
    Yeah, I've never heard this one. Perhaps I have missed something in the owner's manuals of handguns I have purchased.
    I haven't paid close attention to this, but I've definitely had owner's manuals that have said not to have a round in the chamber. Just can't remember who they were at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    It lessens it but only slightly itís still a heavy DA simply a bit of creep instead of immediate weight.
    Yeah kind of figured that. In any case, I will do some research and get more up to snuff on that function, there's quite a bit of info on the net about these 21a bobcats.....bob

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My SIG P238 Scorpion with the ambidextrous safety was REALLY hard to flip on and/or off for quite a while. Like @beebee I worked it quite a bit and made sure there was some oil in the opening, which helped. It is still a bit stiffer than the safety on my P238 Rainbow, but I read somewhere that ambi safeties can often be pretty stiff. I have no idea why that is.

But a really stiff safety CAN get easier to work over time.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    My SIG P238 Scorpion with the ambidextrous safety was REALLY hard to flip on and/or off for quite a while. Like @beebee I worked it quite a bit and made sure there was some oil in the opening, which helped. It is still a bit stiffer than the safety on my P238 Rainbow, but I read somewhere that ambi safeties can often be pretty stiff. I have no idea why that is.

Yeah, this little Beretta was crazy. I couldn't move it at all without using both hands, and all my strength. I was about to call them and send it back.. Then I calmed down, sat with it for a few minutes, put a drop or two of Remoil on the safety , and worked it.. Lightened up in short order.. Still stiff, but so much better. Today, I cleaned the remoil out and used Mobil 1 using a tiny artists brush under the safety lever . It helped quite a bit, and I am confident it will feel close to "normal" in fairly short order.. This is a tight little gun in several areas, and really needs to be fired and handled .. Owners manual says do NOT carry it in the half cocked position.. Hammer down, safety on "if you must" carry with a round chambered.. bob

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post

btw, I have seen a few P238 rainbows, but never a man firing one .. Women seem to like that color better than men.. My wife looked at one but instead ordered hers in Desert Sand I think the color is called.. She loves it, and now carries nothing else... bob

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I haven't paid close attention to this, but I've definitely had owner's manuals that have said not to have a round in the chamber. Just can't remember who they were at the moment.
    That's very interesting. I don't recall ever having seen that.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links