Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation? - Page 4

Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 What about the .25 and .32 are the warnings the same? I own all three just cuz i wanted them. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    What about the .25 and .32 are the warnings the same? I own all three just cuz i wanted them. The .25 Iíll drop in my pocket when i walk the dog. You should probably carry your P32 i have one and itís good pocket gun.
    "Because I want one" is the best reason to buy a new gun.

But we need to be realistic about the .25ACP. It may be the most anemic handgun round above .22 short.
    Psalm 144:1

Yes.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post

Yes.
    Wordy, you are.

I carry what I want how I want when I want. My choice, my decision, my consequences. No one has to answer to me for it; I don't need to answer to anyone for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I certainly wouldn't go against recommendations with my SA Colt 45 telling me not to carry a round under the hammer. The firing pin will rest against a primer, and yes, it could accidently go bang if bumped.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    You have a P938
    Locally / mowing yard / "light duty" ... Carrying a .22 implies: "If someone tries to kill me here I'd rather defend my life with a .22 lr than a 9mm".
    I know, its "just in case". Yea, just in case somebody(s) is trying to kill you.
    There is nowhere (nor no time of day) I'd prefer to bet my life on a .22 than a 9mm.

You said it, its (the .22) a "fun gun" regardless of location.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Sounds to me like you have figured things out for your own particular situation and have made logical choices for yourself based on those.

One should never ever feel the need to defend their personal carry choices. Many times around where I live, I will opt for less, or sometimes nothing.

When working on the property, or taking a run or walk down the little country lane by the house, the wife and I will leave the 45ís behind and take a little pocket gun.

My brother refused to carry anything but a Colt 45 SAA, and was killed in a freak accident when a tree that he was passing fell on his F-250 and smashed the cab. The SAA was in his waistband when his body was pulled from the truck. His choice of caliber or platform was a non issue in his death.

Sometimes people get so wrapped up in their own fears, that they try to project those on others without even realizing it.

Critical thinking never goes out of style. Do what you do, for your own reasons.
    You quoted what I posted in your reply to OP. What part of I wrote is relevant in your reply to OP?
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't go against recommendations with my SA Colt 45 telling me not to carry a round under the hammer. The firing pin will rest against a primer, and yes, it could accidently go bang if bumped.
    Interesting.. That kind of goes against the narrative on this thread, most would disagree it seems. I think I should re check all my handgun user manuals.. Its been a while since I read them, and to be honest I can't recall what they say about carrying with a chambered round..

Would you mind if I asked in what condition you do carry your colt?

I can understand not wanting your Colt to discharge if ever dropped, or whacked inadvertently. No one wants to be in front of a stray .45 round.. However a stray .22 is no picnic either.

bob

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    My cousin carried a Bobcat in what he calls a 'wallet holster' for 3 decades as his backup during his years of plain clothes Federal service. His primary was a Sig P226. And now, during his retired years, he still carries both, despite the season, despite the clothing. And, knowing him, both units are always hot and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    You quoted what I posted in your reply to OP. What part of I wrote is relevant in your reply to OP?
    None of what you quoted was relevant to it. I quoted Beebee, and because he quoted you in that, it must have carried over in my quote of him.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    I would think it would depend on the gun. Flintlock62 makes a strong point about adhering to the manufacturer's recomendation. On the other hand, if I were to carry my safety-equipped P365 around with a round chambered and the safety off, I'd be off my rocker. Then there's the Seecamp -- they make a California / Massachusetts version with a safety, but in my mind, that's just one more mechanical piece that can go wrong; the trigger pull on a Seecamp is DAO at around 11 lbs., and that's safety enough for me.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Interesting.. That kind of goes against the narrative on this thread, most would disagree it seems. I think I should re check all my handgun user manuals.. Its been a while since I read them, and to be honest I can't recall what they say about carrying with a chambered round..

Would you mind if I asked in what condition you do carry your colt?

I can understand not wanting your Colt to discharge if ever dropped, or whacked inadvertently. No one wants to be in front of a stray .45 round.. However a stray .22 is no picnic either.

bob
    Most would disagree with not carrying a live round under the hammer on a SA Colt? Methinks not, at least not anyone with common sense. There are new models with a safety block, but the old school 1873 Colts will allow the firing pin to rest against a primer. That's why a SA Colt should be loaded with 5 rounds, leaving one empty chamber, for safety.

If I carry a P226, it's one in the chamber, de-cocked; condition 0. I carry my P30 one in the chamber, cocked and safety on; condition 1.

I carry my SA Colt in condition 0. Cocking the hammer moves a live round into firing position.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    All of my carry pistols are hammer fired, carried cocked and locked with a round in the chamber, how else would I carry them, they are pistols not clubs.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Manufacturers have carry recommendations?
    Actually, manufacturers have lawyers.
    Wavygravy likes this.

I've got two Sig P220s and have no problems with carrying with one in the chamber since these have a decocking lever and no safety
    Navy Seabee
    NRA Life Member
    Sig P220 compact
    Sig P220 full size

Short answer: no. Will not carry and will not own if manufacturer says not carry with one in chamber.
    Long answer: if manufacturer says the gun is not to be carried with one in chamber, then the gun is a piece of trash. Semi-autos since almost forever solved the problem of dropping (cocked) guns safety. In hammer fired I own there is block that prevents firing pin from moving forward. Pulling the trigger removes that "drop safety". Without pulling the trigger you can drop hammer and nothing will happen.
    Can not speak for striker fired, I for one am staying away from them.
    Of long guns I only am familiar with two rifles: AK-47 and AR-15. Neither of them will fire if dropped with safety on. AK-47 will not fire if dropped with safety off, unless it catches something with the trigger and trigger is pulled. AR experts may correct me, but AR probably will not fire either if dropped with safety off. It is really great design. Movies lie on this subject big time.

VIP Member
    use your own judgment
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links