Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My new Berreta 21A bobcat has a warning of sorts in the owners manual that states it should not be carried with a round in ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Would you carry a gun in way that goes against mfg recommendation?

My new Berreta 21A bobcat has a warning of sorts in the owners manual that states it should not be carried with a round in the chamber.. Many owners report that they do not carry that way.. From the dozens of articles I have read, that although not likely, these guns can and have been know to discharge if dropped exactly the "right" way with one in the pipe.. Just great.. Safety is really really stiff anyway, at least for now,and in a bunch of run run throughs I was faster keeping the hammer cocked and racking the slide, chambering a round , than disengaging the safety anyway.. At times I had to use two hands and all my strength to operate the safety.. I have worked it and lubed it, and it has gotten better, but is still really stiff.. anyway, I suppose its a good thing that this is more of a "fun gun" than an EDC, but I would like to carry it locally here and there when say i won't even be getting out of my car, or just running for gas or something. I have a P 32 and a P938 so as far as small carry guns. I am ok...

Would you go against what the builder recommends and carry this cocked and locked, when Beretta says not to?.. they know the gun better than I do, and I am sure this is 100% CYA on their part, but now I am a little "gun shy"about how to carry this new gun..

One guy on another forum said the way this gun is SUPPOSED to be carried, is with a full mag, hammer down, and a loose round, and then simply open the tip up barrel, insert round, fire first round in DA, and then the rest is SA ... Thats not going to happen as I can rack the slide a lot faster than I can by tipping the barrel open.. I dunno, I really wanted a tiny .22, but am now just a bit sorry I bought this, if it can discharge when dropped, unlikely or not... bob
    "

JD
    Administrator
    Almost every manufacturer states that you shouldbt3varry with a round in chamber. I know for sure that Glock did at one point with the exception listed as LE / Mil and I know I thumbed my nose at them so...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lawyers protecting against lawsuits.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    My new Berreta 21A bobcat has a warning of sorts in the owners manual that states it should not be carried with a round in the chamber.. Many owners report that they do not carry that way.. From the dozens of articles I have read, that although not likely, these guns can and have been know to discharge if dropped exactly the "right" way with one in the pipe.. Just great.. Safety is really really stiff anyway, at least for now,and in a bunch of run run throughs I was faster keeping the hammer cocked and racking the slide, chambering a round , than disengaging the safety anyway.. At times I had to use two hands and all my strength to operate the safety.. I have worked it and lubed it, and it has gotten better, but is still really stiff.. anyway, I suppose its a good thing that this is more of a "fun gun" than an EDC, but I would like to carry it locally here and there when say i won't even be getting out of my car, or just running for gas or something. I have a P 32 and a P938 so as far as small carry guns. I am ok...

Would you go against what the builder recommends and carry this cocked and locked, when Beretta says not to?.. they know the gun better than I do, and I am sure this is 100% CYA on their part, but now I am a little "gun shy"about how to carry this new gun..

One guy on another forum said the way this gun is SUPPOSED to be carried, is with a full mag, hammer down, and a loose round, and then simply open the tip up barrel, insert round, fire first round in DA, and then the rest is SA ... Thats not going to happen as I can rack the slide a lot faster than I can by tipping the barrel open.. I dunno, I really wanted a tiny .22, but am now just a bit sorry I bought this, if it can discharge when dropped, unlikely or not... bob
    "
    I would not carry the problem child you described, period.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would never consider the purchase of a handgun which was going to be one of my carry guns that should be carried without a round in the chamber. All of my carry guns, including Glocks, never have an empty chamber when loaded and ready for use.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; December 28th, 2019 at 10:26 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I would have no problem carrying the DA/SA bobcat with a round in chamber hammer down safety off. Precisely how I carry my tomcat which is the same weapon. Itís got like a 10# da long pull your not going to touch it off in a pocket

ETA: This is Lawyers being Lawyers

Would Beretta recommend a law enforcement officer carry the gun with an empty chamber?
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Its too early to say its a "problem child".. As of now, the safety is very stiff, but it is loosening with use.
    Hopefully, I can get it to the point where its a simple one thumb push down operation with no chance of its sticking when I least want it to..

the discharge when dropped scenarios are mostly anecdotal, but from all i have read, it is a remote possibility, and I guess I simply was not ready for that in well made, well regarded, modern weapon...

From all indications, a very reliable, very small pocket .22 does not exist in the modern age. Most of the reliable .22 pistols are as large as compact 9mm and .380 carry guns.. there are more very small pocket guns in .25/.32/.380 and even 9mm than there are in .22LR.. It was either this or the Taurus PT22 in a small pocket .22 semi auto. Both seem pretty scetchy for many owners.. I thought I bought the better gun, but that remains to be seen.. this gun as of now really needs some range time, and a lot of rounds through it, and some handling time, to see if its really workable on even a "light duty" carry schedule such as when I am mowing the lawn or maybe out in my boat on a lake, fishing... bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    I would have no problem carrying the DA/SA bobcat with a round in chamber hammer down safety off. Precisely how I carry my tomcat which is the same weapon. Itís got like a 10# da long pull your not going to touch it off in a pocket

Especially if its in a holster, as it should be.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Manufacturers have carry recommendations?
    DownInTheDark likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post

I realize it is more CYA than anything else.. I was more concerned about discharge if dropped.. Don;t think that could happen hammer down in DA as you stated.. It has about the same DA feel on the first shot as my P32, maybe a bit harder. but certainly doable,, After that the SA is short and crisp... I am not planning on carrying it much anyway, and as of right now, what I really need on it is some serious range time.. Running drills with it, clean and fondling etc, is all fine, but I need to know it a lot better before trusting it 100%... bob
    Gunnie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Especially if its in a holster, as it should be.
    Yes its in a pocket holster
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    A Beretta 21A was my first pocket pistol. Very reliable with CCI Stingers.
    Carry it with chamber loaded, hammer down, safety off, in a proper pocket holster. You shouldn't have any problems.
    You can engage the safety regardless of the hammer position.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Im sure every company that makes guns I own says not to shoot handloads through them, and I have no problem shooting, or carrying handloads in my guns. If a gun can not safely be carried with a round in the chamber, it is of no use to me. Im not a beretta gun though so I know nothing about this gun.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    A Beretta 21A was my first pocket pistol. Very reliable with CCI Stingers.
    Carry it with chamber loaded, hammer down, safety off, in a proper pocket holster. You shouldn't have any problems.
    You can engage the safety regardless of the hammer position.
    As I write this I have CCI Mini Mags in it, but I do have some Stingers.. Not many, maybe 50 or 100 rounds.. I can get a few more boxes... I ran a few mags through it, maybe 28 rounds. of the cheapest oldest ammo i could sweep off the floor.. Remington Thunderbolts, and "Silver Bullets'.. very small sample size but it ran fine with the cheap stuff.. HOPEFULLY I can get down to the range after the holidays and "air it out" and put some serious time in with it.. As you said, probably best to keep a round chambered, hammer down.

Right now i have it fully cocked, safety off, unchambered.. the slide is not bad to operate at all with the hammer back , and has gotten easier in the short time i have had the gun..
    I know its a high sacrilege saying it around here, but I have no problem carrying easy to rack semis unchambered instead of cocked and locked.. After years of practicing both ways and having my wife time me, I can rack the slide while drawing as quickly as I can draw and disengage a safety. I realize thats a tiny minority opinion , but personally, its always worked for me with certain guns .. However, carrying as you said would probably be the best combination of safety, and defensive capability.. Only person that might have a problem would be a slightly built person with arthritis or poor hand strength.. the DA first round is no picnic with this gun, my wife can't even do it. No problem with me, but I will say I like the SA trigger on it a LOT better... Thanks for the reply.. Before I carry with any regularity it I need to get more used to it, thats for sure... bob

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links