Need feedback on Beretta 92fs 9mm 15rd

This is a discussion on Need feedback on Beretta 92fs 9mm 15rd within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A good friend of mine took a Beretta 92fs 9mm 15rd Pg Blk as partial payment for painting a women's house a year ago. He ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Need feedback on Beretta 92fs 9mm 15rd

A good friend of mine took a Beretta 92fs 9mm 15rd Pg Blk as partial payment for painting a women's house a year ago. He has never fired it and she told him that her husband only fired it a couple of times. It looks new and has a second 15 rnd mag. He wants $500. I know nothing about Beretta and don't need it......BUT, I don't "need" 3 of my other handguns

Can anyone hear give me their 1st hand opinion/experience with one?
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I've shot my friend's several times. Chunky, but a classic. I want one just for the cool factor as it was so widely used in the action movies of my youth. I wouldn't get one to carry but that doesn't stop many from doing so.

Personally, I think $500 isn't that great of a deal considering they can be found for $500-$600 brand new online. Try to talk him down unless you think it's "insulting" your friend.
    BHC, Litespeed, Kilowatt3 and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    I'm with @Rooster .

The Model 92 is an iconic pistol. Like the 1911, every man should have one! A sweet shooter, reliable, and includes 'cool factor'! It's a little big for CC, but makes a great nightstand gun and is a lot of fun on the range. I bought a cheap surplus 92S a few years ago to have a Model 92 in the stable, "just because".

If you shop around, though, you can get a very nice used one LNIB for about $400, and new ones start around $500. If your friend has all the box, papers, etc., I'd offer him $400; a little less if it's just the gun & extra mag.

YMMV
    Rooster, PPS1980 and sgb like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

An older 92FS Brigadier is one of my primary "go to war" guns. My time on Active Duty validated the platform as one of the top 9mm's on the market.

I would place a premium on an almost NIB 90's to early 00's 92FS with full metal parts over a later "how much plastic can we get away with" special.
    Wavygravy, OD*, Rooster and 1 others like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    @WebleyHunter raises a good point! OP, does your friend know how old the pistol is?
    Rooster likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    I have one of the newer M9a3s and agree with WebleyHunter and others here -- It is an excellent pistol and probably the best full size 9mm on the market, imo. BUT, the new ones like mine aren't as good as the 1990's models. I'd offer the guy maybe $400.

<edit> Sorry, Kilowatt -- I didn't see your post while writing mine. Good point.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    If you get the serial number you can check the year of manufacture with Beretta at:
    Firearm Technical Data Search
    OD* and Kilowatt3 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I bought mine in 92. Still a great shooter. But 500 is a bit too high of a price. 400 is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    If you get the serial number you can check the year of manufacture with Beretta at:
    Firearm Technical Data Search
    Thanks for everyone's feedback!! Especially this link!!

Serial Number: BER264884Z
    Model: PO9219F3
    Product Description: 92FS 9MM 3DOT PLAS. 10RD 2 MAG D/A
    Approximate Manufacture Date: 1993
    Wavygravy, OD* and Kilowatt3 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHC View Post
    Thanks for everyone's feedback!! Especially this link!!

You're welcome. Glad it was of help.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

The 92fs is a very smooth and reliable shooter. If you have a CZ 75, the DA/SA action will feel familiar.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BHC View Post
    Year looks good!

Not sure what the "PLAS." means, as I have never seen a 92 (especially that early) with any non-grip plastic parts. Maybe the case? Keep the factory 10 round mags for a "rainy day" (or trips to a mag restricted state), as they are properly engineered as opposed to the common "just make a thicker base plate" design.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Distinguished Member
    OP -- If it's a 1993 and has been used as little as you say, Boy oh boy -- I'd be tempted to go $450 on it....
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Another plus for the 92 are surplus magazines. At a recent gun show, I was able to purchase 18 unused recent manufacture mil-spec mags for $100. Supposedly, they came from a Nat Guard or Reserve unit transitioning to the M17, and the armorer didn't just want to scrap them.
    OD* and Kilowatt3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Another plus for the 92 are surplus magazines. At a recent gun show, I was able to purchase 18 unused recent manufacture mil-spec mags for $100. Supposedly, they came from a Nat Guard or Reserve unit transitioning to the M17, and the armorer didn't just want to scrap them.

Issues is most early Surplus mags are junk half the problem with the miltary guns was the mags as they were not factotry mags and had issues a lot of issues ...But the price is good for trainer mags
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links