Single stack 9mm suggestions - Page 2

Single stack 9mm suggestions

This is a discussion on Single stack 9mm suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hard to beat a KAHR,they have all sizes and price points - makes sure you have a few extra mags...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Single stack 9mm suggestions

VIP Member
    Hard to beat a KAHR,they have all sizes and price points - makes sure you have a few extra mags
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

+1 for the Sig P-239! They tend to be a bit pricey when you find them! I know your wife says she likes a DAO has she tried something like the Shield? You can get them with or w/o a manual safety and can be had for almost half the cost of the Sig! Might be worth a try for her. Good luck!
    Wavygravy and ETXhiker like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    SIG P290RS- Sub-compact true hammer fired DAO. Got the axe due to the P365 striker love fest.

I wish Sig hadn't discontinued the 290rs. They were nice little guns.
    Old Man likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I recommend going to a range and renting some of the firearms she/you are interested in. The opinion you form from that will out weigh all the well intention-ed recommendations here. That's what my wife and I did before she got her S&W Shield EZ (doesn't have a double action trigger or decocker though).

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    She currently carries a revolver but She wants something that is a little more enjoyable to shoot.

I don't know what revolver she has, or if she has an aftermarket grip on it, but if she has a j- frame with the factory grip, I would suggest a Pachmayr compac grip or something similar that has a descent amount of rubber covering the backstrap. It makes a world of difference and makes it much more enjoyable to shoot.

The Ruger LCR 3" 357 magnum with their cushy Hogue tamer grip would be an excellent choice if she just wants a new gun, imo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single stack 9mm suggestions-screenshot_20200107-075715_gallery_1578405462177.jpg  

drmordo likes this.

I was looking at that K9 in particular. How does it compare size wise to a snubbie? Seems pretty similar
    One thing to consider with Kahr is racking the slide...They are some of the stiffest.
    Old Man, ETXhiker and PPS1980 like this.

How about a 9mm 1911? Pure joy to shoot...

Sig 239 in TDA or DAK would work, too. Discontinued, but can be found reasonably.

And, of course, there’s always a HK P7...
    Old Man and sparkyfender like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    How about a 9mm 1911? Pure joy to shoot...

Sig 239 in TDA or DAK would work, too. Discontinued, but can be found reasonably.

And, of course, there’s always a HK P7...
    Ahhhhh, yes, the HK P7. My nephew picked one up on recently on a trip through Germany. Haven't talked him out of it yet and likely won't!
    sparkyfender likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Not a single stack, but it is DAO, hammer fired. (Magazine holds 10 rounds)
    That CPX pink camo thing is truly gosh-awful ugly! I don't care how it shoots, I'd be too embarrassed to even think about carrying it. Of course that is my opinion.
    Old Man likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    My wife is looking for a single stack 9mm DAO or decocker to carry. She is more comfortable with DA. She currently carries a revolver but She wants something that is a little more enjoyable to shoot. The only thing I can think of is a Kahr. Does anyone have a suggestion she should try
    What major manufacturer of 9mm service pistols doesn't have a single stack micro 9 for CCW?

I have an XDS9, which has been fine. But, XD(whatever) guns tend to run heavy for their size, and have stiff recoil assemblies.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with a Shield or a G43 or (more likely) G43X. Just because the XDS seems to have declined in popularity from where it was a few years ago, and it's easier to find holsters and other things for the Glock and Shield.

I've come to think holster availability ought to loom bigger in our "what next gun" calculation than it usually does.
    Old Man and 5lima30ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    That CPX pink camo thing is truly gosh-awful ugly! I don't care how it shoots, I'd be too embarrassed to even think about carrying it. Of course that is my opinion.
    My wife walked out the store when she was ready to buy a LCR after the salesman asked her if she wanted the pink grip version
    instead of black....I smiled and said....You go girl!!
    ShooterGranny and Grizzly2 like this.

The two I would recommend would be the Kahr CM9 and the S&W M&P9 Shield. Both are very fine guns at a reasonable price.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    For a DAO style trigger, the Kahr pistols are great. Also the Sig P290, Beretta Nano (if she can deal with the "no slide release" thing.) If you don't mind buying a long out of production model, the S&W 3953 is a very solid and well liked pistol.
    Old Man and rotorhead1026 like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Another vote for the Walther PPS M2...it just works, is dependable and very inexpensive....you wont be sorry.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post

How bout good ol FDE?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single stack 9mm suggestions-screenshot_20200107-154213_gallery_1578433421067.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links