Single stack 9mm suggestions

This is a discussion on Single stack 9mm suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is looking for a single stack 9mm DAO or decocker to carry. She is more comfortable with DA. She currently carries a revolver ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Single stack 9mm suggestions

My wife is looking for a single stack 9mm DAO or decocker to carry. She is more comfortable with DA. She currently carries a revolver but She wants something that is a little more enjoyable to shoot. The only thing I can think of is a Kahr. Does anyone have a suggestion she should try
    rx7sig and ETXhiker like this.

BHC
    Look at the Beretta APX Carry. Friend has one and really likes it.

APX Carry FDE

The Kahr is an excellent choice. Keltec PF9, S&W 3913, Sig P239 are a few that come to mind. Some of those may be bigger than what you have in mind
    OldChap, Texron, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The Kahr S9 is by far the best single stack I have owned. I have small hands and the narrow grip and low barrel axis offset make it a pleasure to shoot. The S9 is better than my previous favorite CW9 because of the front slide serrations and the picatinny rail.
    ETXhiker likes this.

SA XDE 9mm.
    Lefty_Red likes this.

VIP Member
    Remember that reliability is the first criteria for any weapon. Back when I was searching for a reliable single stack 9 there were only 3 that passed multiple tests involving firing 100s of rounds. The Glock, Taurus Slim (of all things) and the Walther PPS. All the others had problems, sometimes serious, and sometimes quite quickly, in each test. I personally tried out each of the 3 weapons (along with a few others) that passed all the tests and chose the one that shot like a FS pistol. I've carried the PPS for 4 years now and fired thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction or hiccup of any kind.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    My wife is looking for a single stack 9mm DAO or decocker to carry. She is more comfortable with DA. She currently carries a revolver but She wants something that is a little more enjoyable to shoot. The only thing I can think of is a Kahr. Does anyone have a suggestion she should try
    Yes! A Kahr K9! All-SS (25 oz), small-ish (6" length, 4.5" height), 3.5" polygonal barrel, "DAO striker-fired", shoots 125 gr 9mm +P HP all day long quite comfortably. Accurate and reliable. I am a huge fan! Get the blackened version with night sights.

ETA: My teenaged daughters love to shoot mine.

rx7sig

Depending upon your budget, Sig Sauer has their P225-A1

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/fi.../pistols/p225/
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I actually owned an old 225. It’s a little big

I was looking at that K9 in particular. How does it compare size wise to a snubbie? Seems pretty similar
    ETXhiker likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Take a look at the Ruger Security 9 Compact. About 22 ounces, and overall dimensions - just measured - are a snick smaller than the Taurus 851 I pocket carry often.
    OldChap and 5lima30ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Not a single stack, but it is DAO, hammer fired. (Magazine holds 10 rounds)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single stack 9mm suggestions-screenshot_20200106-220236_gallery_1578369892318.jpg  

Lefty_Red likes this.

SIG P290RS- Sub-compact true hammer fired DAO. Got the axe due to the P365 striker love fest.

S&W 3914DAO- NYPD overruns regularly available on Gunbroker. Outstanding platform.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    One thing to bear in mind is 9mm is a more powerful round than 38 SPL. So even though a semi auto will absorb some of that recoil as it tilts the barrel and actuates the slide, it will still be snappy. I have the Keltec PF9 and I love it, but it recoils almost as much as a airweight 38 SPL J frame. It's not a lot of fun to shoot, though it's not horrible like a PPK and the PF9 does have a fantastic DAO trigger.

If she wants less recoil, she really needs to go with a Compact (4" barrel) 9mm, or with a low recoil .380 design like a LC380 or maybe a Glock 42 if she can stand the horrible "DAO" trigger. I think SCCY might make a doublestack subcompact 380, though I have heard very mixed reviews about their quality control and their very heavy, very long DAO triggers. I don't own one and have never handled one, so maybe a SCCY owner will pipe in with his impression of the trigger.

SA XDE, Sig P239, Sig P225A1 , Taurus Builds aDA/SA sub compact but I can't recall model , SCCY is a fairly slim double stack 10 shot DAO
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links