Forgot how much I enjoyed the G22

This is a discussion on Forgot how much I enjoyed the G22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep. Since I retired almost 5 years ago, I sort of retired my old duty weapon, a Gen 3 G22. One thing I did do ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Forgot how much I enjoyed the G22

Yep. Since I retired almost 5 years ago, I sort of retired my old duty weapon, a Gen 3 G22.

One thing I did do with it, is set it up for hunting or woods carry, by replacing the old wore out GNSís with regular polymer OEM sights, but opted for an adjustable rear instead of fixed so that I could dial in my 180 weight hunting/woods loads a little more exact. Oh, and I did replace the recoil spring with a factory OEM.

Ive had a pretty good supply of aluminum cased Blazer 180ís that shoot POI with my handloads, and because Iím lazy with my reloading lately, I decided to pull it out of the safe and take it for a little spin yesterday evening.

In short, the entire experience was shaking hands with an old friend that I hadnít seen in a long time. I enjoyed it so much, that I had gone thru 100 rounds in no time at all.

The magazines are so old they are marked ď LE/Gov Restricted, but they still function perfectly despite years of being loaded.

So, today, Iím giving the Colt a break, and carrying the ol G22 at work.

Its not better, or worse than the 1911, in my book. Options are really nice to have.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

It is even more fun suppressed. We think of 40 S&W as hot and snappy, but shooting suppressed makes it even more fun since it is naturally a subsonic caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    G-man* and CLASS3NH like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Yessir, I've been carrying the G22 and G27 combination for years. And I agree, the G22 is great to shoot. Recoil is similar to my G27 with a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel in it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    G-man* likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a Gen 3 Glock 22 and I like it a lot.
    G-man* likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Senior Moderator
    Chuck. You may be like me. I have a pretty small list of regular "pet guns" here, but I enjoy taking something out that hasn't been exercised in a while out and revisit it. Then on to the next one as the whim leads.

Playin' the field. The gun hobby. Ain't it grand?!!!
    G-man*, OD*, matthew03 and 4 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

VIP Member
    Gramps had a G22 and traded it for a SIG P320. The SIG is FOR SALE and Gramps found a nice looking used G22 again. Unfortunately it had some serious problems, which can happen when you don't know what someone else did to a gun. A trip to Glock fixed everything and now, with several parts having been replaced (free), he is LOVING it!!!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Its not better, or worse than the 1911, in my book. Options are really nice to have.
    I wish more people could figure that out themselves, it's legal, you can like more than one platform.

Anyway, off the soap box, well said, Chuck.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I wish more people could figure that out themselves, it's legal, you can like more than one platform.

Anyway, off the soap box, well said, Chuck.
    Tools in the toolbox.
    Wavygravy, G-man*, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I am very partial to gen3 Glock 23's. One of those I own is one of my primary carry guns and I would not part with it. Very accurate and a great shooter. I do have a gen4 G22 and like it, too, but the aforementioned G23 is tops for me.
    OldChap and Old Man like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    It is even more fun suppressed. We think of 40 S&W as hot and snappy, but shooting suppressed makes it even more fun since it is naturally a subsonic caliber.

It's only sub sonic with weak 180's. I prefer my contract 155 grn HST's @ 1200 fps.
    CDRGlock, OD*, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

My first Glock.
    Gen 3 G22.
    One of my favorites.
    G-man* likes this.

I still occasionally break out my old duty Glock 35 w/ laser engraved badge that was presented to me when I retired. It is a good shooter but too big for me to CCW
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    It's only sub sonic with weak 180's. I prefer my contract 155 grn HST's @ 1200 fps.
    That will likely not suppress.

Bad Bob likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    The best part of the Glock 22 is/was the price of used magazines. I picked up 25 for $200.
    OD*, G-man*, OldChap and 1 others like this.

Funny thing is if you look at the data below the two guns are very close in size. (Yes I know your model is a Colt lw that would put your weight @ 29 oz empty but they didn't list it) Other than the caliber difference and a slight width difference, they're about the same.

People always talk about the Lightweight commanders and call them "cc" guns but refer to the 17/22 as "duty" guns. Both are at the larger end of the comfortable spectrum to most people, but are very close to the same, and both are very concealable.

Glad you're getting to enjoy your old friend. :)

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...1911-commander

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    OldChap, G-man* and Old Man like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links