1911's - Page 3

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* One and the same. That man likes to ruin fine companies Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: 1911's

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    One and the same.
    That man likes to ruin fine companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OD*, Havok, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by simonp67 View Post
    That man likes to ruin fine companies
    And he's pretty good at it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

From what I've seen, 1911's run best chambered in 45. The 9mm's can be iffy. Naturally, the more you spend, the better chance you have of getting one that runs.

My WC CQB's in 45 have been splendid but they are heavy and give up a lot in capacity to a poly double stack 9. And believe it or not, it is possible to shoot striker fired 9's very well.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Some folks regurgitate & some folks have both knowledge and experience.

If you’re buying a range toy to shoot a couple thousand rounds a year MIM will likely last you & do you fine. If you’re shooting 40,000 plus rounds a year you may well form a different opinion & have different experiences. If you shoot it regularly because you want to train with your carry gun, implying you’re carrying this gun & your life may depend on it well then, if you want to save a few dollars for that manufacturer go right ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Lol. See this is what I’m talking about. You say “for a range toy”, And you probably have no idea how many guns use MIM parts.
    Struckat and Rotorflyr like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

JD
    Administrator
    Of the dozen + 1911s I've had, I've had the most trouble with Kimber with a total of four guns being problematic and requiring everything short of exorcism.

Never again.

The only sub $2k guns I'd be looking at, especially in 9mm would be Dan Wesson and STI.

And even then I'd toss the mags and buy all Wilsons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD
    Administrator
    This gets an honorable mention.

I just wish Springfield would make the TRP in 9mm or checker the front strap on the RO line.

But for under $900 and with BlackT, I could possibly look past the lack of checkering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    There are literally hundreds if not thousands of pages on MIM quality vs tool steel - which I won’t summarize here. Suffice it to say MIM was adopted by manufacturers as a cost saving move not to improve quality. There is well made MIM and poor MIM, Springfield uses both and which you get depends on your luck.
    Hmmm...

MIM parts are used in hot section parts in gas turbine engines, so I guess it must not be very good.

Just like the "cast vs forged" debate. If cast parts were so routinely low strength or quality, someone forgot to tell Ruger (one of the top makers of investment cast parts in the country) and Fabrique Nationale, who fixed the slide cracking problem on the .40 Hi Power by going from forged to - merde alors! - cast slides.

Funny how the internet never gets lit up when a tool steel extractor or firing pin breaks, but lord a'mighty, if the part happens to be made with the MIM process, it's the devil's spawn.

The truth is in bold face. Same holds true for tool steel, or parts made of any material by any process. Design, material and fabrication process need to be appropriate to the task. FWIW, I've put 3 Springfield 1911s through tens of thousands of rounds and the only internal parts that ever broke were extractors (which I consider a normal replacement part).
    Struckat, JD, bmcgilvray and 10 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

It’s best not to get to caught up in MIM talk. We trust our lives to it all the time.

All manufacturers have issues from time to time. Not all handle it the same way.
    Other issues are operator induced, but the gun gets blamed.

I’ve had two Sig 1911 “Style” pistols. One was flawless...sold it, idiot me.
    The other couldn’t get through two mags without issue. Yet anyone else that shot it found it to function perfectly. Drove me nuts. I couldn’t blame the gun.

Turns out, I was limp wristing it. All steel like my other one, but it didn’t like me. But I can shoot my sons Colt Defender that weighs a lot less, and never have an issue. I can’t limp wrist that Defender even purposely!

If my budget was $1,200, I would probably go with a Wesson in 38 super.
    Havok, 5lima30ret, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Senior Moderator
    For 1911s, I like owning Colts. No good reason other than I just like 'em. I've had no experience owning and wringing out other brands of 1911-guns. I've shot lots of other brands 1911s belonging to other folks and my finger is not discerning enough to truly tell the difference blindfolded.

I have shot enough through a couple of late model Colt guns to say that they have been well-mannered and nothing has broken to this point. I don't like the notion of MIM parts but gasmitty and others here on the Forum have schooled me so that I've come to believe MIM doesn't always matter. I've not changed out any "inferior" MIM or plastic triggers on the Colts and they haven't yet had a melt down. Of course it could be because I've been lazy about parts swapping. I've not been hard on them but have shot them a goodly amount.

A 1911 is a very enjoyable gun to own and shoot ... a lot! Messing with them is fraught with more difficulties than leaving them be, unless messing with them is intended to become one's hobby. I have observed perfectly good and reliable 1911s reduced to malfunctioning rubbish by nitwits. This was early in a shooting career and I vowed to avoid doing the same. Leaving 'em alone and just shooting 'em has worked out alright for me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Distinguished Member
    "A 1911 is a very enjoyable gun to own and shoot ... a lot! Messing with them is fraught with more difficulties than leaving them be, unless messing with them is intended to become one's hobby. I have observed perfectly good and reliable 1911s reduced to malfunctioning rubbish by nitwits. This was early in a shooting career and I vowed to avoid doing the same. Leaving 'em alone and just shooting 'em has worked out alright for me." -- @bmcgilvray

I'm not a born "messer" or fiddler or tinkerer. I plan on learning to field strip, clean, etc. as one does with any pistol, but that's about it. I'll take my new 1911 to my local gunsmith when it needs further attention. That's one of the main reasons I haven't gotten involved with 1911s -- seen and read about too many people "messing" with 'em and then not having a reliable weapon. I already have friends telling me to take a triangle file to the slide stop of my Commander, and I haven't even received it yet!
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Of the dozen + 1911s I've had, I've had the most trouble with Kimber with a total of four guns being problematic and requiring everything short of exorcism.
    Hey, John Wick used a Kimber! But he got it for free from a bum, so there's that.

I have no experience with them at all, but I've noted that prices have come down a lot - not sure if that reflects quality, or just an attempt to grab market share with budget offerings.
    Havok, OD*, Struckat and 1 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Hey, John Wick used a Kimber! But he got it for free from a bum, so there's that.

I have no experience with them at all, but I've noted that prices have come down a lot - not sure if that reflects quality, or just an attempt to grab market share with budget offerings.
    I think that the Springfield Defender shook up the market. Having RIA sell a well functioning 1911 for under $400 was one thing, as a lot of people just wouldn't trust something made in the Philippines (their loss!). But to have a made in the USA well known brand 1911 for available for about $500? Kimber had to do something. That something appears to be their Custom Lightweight LW line that have been selling for under $600 with a lot of features standard.
    OD*, msgt/ret, airslot and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Never again.
    I've had 4 Kimber's and never had a problem with any of them. Currently carry one and don't think about it failing. For the money mentioned, my Kimber TLE was ideal. I merely upgraded it to a CDP. Both are full size.
    Old Man and Havok like this.
    There's never a bad day for good whisk(e)y

You can get some great 1911s for less than $600.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've never regretted the purchase of a Colt 1911. YMMV
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links