1911's - Page 4

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oldIthink Chevy/GMC for fuel economy Ford for interior comfort and ease of use Dodge for pure power and hauling ability All the ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Thread: 1911's

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    Chevy/GMC for fuel economy
    Ford for interior comfort and ease of use
    Dodge for pure power and hauling ability
    All the others, I'm not familiar with
    1911's-newskins.jpg
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    This gets an honorable mention.

I just wish Springfield would make the TRP in 9mm or checker the front strap on the RO line.

But for under $900 and with BlackT, I could possibly look past the lack of checkering.
    I've got skateboard tape on the front strap of my 9mm RO. It wouldn't be enough for the .45, but it's OK for the 9mm. But I do love that Black T and the front strap checkering on my TRP.
    OD*, Old Man and Rock and Glock like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I've got skateboard tape on the front strap of my 9mm RO. It wouldn't be enough for the .45, but it's OK for the 9mm. But I do love that Black T and the front strap checkering on my TRP.
    I rented an RO 9mm at the range today. Sweet shooter.
    OD*, airslot, gasmitty and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rotorflyr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simonp67 View Post
    That man likes to ruin fine companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    And he's pretty good at it.
    I'd be happy to run either of those companies into the ground for a fraction of what they're paying him, But I still want a "golden parachute" as part of my contract....

As for 1911's...seems everyone makes a 9mm these days, Springfield has the EMP (yes I know it's not a "true" 1911) as well as the RO, Sig has the Ultra in 9mm (as well as others) Dan Wesson, S&W, RIA etc....

OIT, I think you might be best narrowing it down to a few brands/models that might interest you and then asking some specific questions about them because as you can see, everyone has their favorites.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

JD
    Administrator
    Now that RO Elite Operator and Champ are giving me the itch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    My first 1911, before I even thought about spending big money, was a Rock Island Armory. I got it for right around $500 and itís a rock solid gun.

Iíve since added two more 1911s. One is a Colt and cost about 1k. The other is another Philippines gun made by Citadel. Also at the $500 mark.

You donít need to spend $1200. Iíll probably never have a $1200 1911. Because what Iíve seen in $1200 1911s arenít that much better than my Colt, and for that matter, my cheaper ones. Sure, the fit and finish is nicer than my $500 guns. But I donít care about that.

Now, get up to $2500+, and there are noticeable differences.
    oldIthink, msgt/ret and airslot like this.

1911s are great pistols. Every handgun enthusiast should have at least 1...kind of like having a S&W .357 if you are a revolver guy. It’s a must have.

That said -

If you are set on spending $1200 get a Colt.

If you want to spend half that and have bucks left over for ammo / accessories - get a Ruger.

I’d also get a .45 for my first (maybe only) 1911. Nothing wrong with 9mm 1911s, but a .45acp 1911 is a masterpiece.

There are lots of viable options - those would be mine.
    "All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years...As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.Ē ― Abraham Lincoln

I am not a 1911 expert having only one,but I had a similar situation.I wanted a 1911 after shooting a friend's S&W e series and being retired and not wealthy,I started reading all I could, and talking to guys at the local gun stores.A couple of the guys told me to wait for a used Dan Wesson deal and add a little to my $1000 max budget. I liked the Springfield Range Officer and decided on it.When I went to my favorite local gun store they had a RO but also a Colt Competition.I left with the Colt and have not had second thoughts.It has been totally reliable with at least 3 different ammos and shoots like dream.I did get a 45acp because I just thought that's what a 1911 should be.I still stayed under $925 out the door w/3 boxes of FMJ.Good luck with your purchase.
    OD*, Tstone, oldIthink and 3 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    My son is still using a Rock Island he got in 2008, carrying it daily and practicing good bit, running lots of rounds through it each month. It was quite nice back when he got it and has only "worn in" and gotten better with use.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I am fond of Kimber 1911's. Look at their line of pistols and see what appeals to you.
    SmitKoWitz, msgt/ret and Old Man like this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

I've been a little busy cleaning up a cheap SKS type 56 from the worst gun sellers on the net. Nothing like advertised. OH well. It was cheap.

I think the advice about narrowing it down is what I'm going to do. The more I look at that Range Officer though....

I might rethink the .45 also. For as long as I've been shooting (since I was 7 or so) I've never shot a .45ACP. I have shot a .454 casull however.

I've got a Springfield range Officer Champion in .45 with Hogue rubber finger grips on it. Easy and fun to shoot,my other handguns are 2 Sig P220
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1911's-20200112_161552_1579218806336.jpg  

airslot, Tstone and msgt/ret like this.
    Navy Seabee
    NRA Life Member
    Sig P220 compact
    Sig P220 full size

There are a lot mighty fine 1911's or 1911 style pistols on the market, in a multitude of sizes, and various calibers. I first like to see what feels comfortable to hold, and operate (without actual firing). If it isn't comfortable in my hand, why would I buy it? Everything should feel good about; weight, balance, etc.. Of course one must also look at the pricing, and consider reliability reviews or experience with those brands. Some people frown on certain manufacturers for a variety of reasons; country of origin, supposed 2A stances that were not completely pro 2A etc... I like to buy USA made if possible. Springfield makes some nice 1911's including 9mm varieties and smaller style 1911's in the EMP series. So too does Kimber, and the non II series models are not prone to the issues some speak of. Although I've never had issue with any Kimber I've owned. I've have traded up to more expensive models over time. Rock Island products are just like the name, solid like a rock; although they are not tight like a Kimber or other Higher End models by Springfield etc.. But they run, and are on the lower end price wise. I have one, but it's a 45. If I were buying a 9mm 1911 in a more standard size, I'd probably look at the Kimber Pro size 9 or the Springfields already mentioned by many others. I had a Springfield EMP 40, it was nice, never owned the 9mm version.

1911's-1-1-.jpg
    CWOUSCG, G-man*, Tstone and 2 others like this.

Iíve had to come down off my high horse ď ponyĒ somewhat since I have been trying out different 1911ish guns.

I canít understand why so many Colts I have and have tried, have thumb safeties that donít snuck on as well as they go off.

It it seems like every dang Springer I have tried has a great, and very smooth safety with a positive click both ways.
    Im also digging those small 9mm Springfields with the ramped barrels.

Actually, on an aluminum framed 1911, a ramped barrel makes a lot of sense, but Iím still going to also look at a Colt Defender.

There are just a lot of really good 1911ís out there to choose from.
    CWOUSCG, JD, gasmitty and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I bought my Para Ordnance Expert 1911 for $500. It is a very nice, well made gun and it always fire perfectly, no jams. There are a lot of nice 1911's out there that can be purchased for well under $1,000.
    airslot and Old Man like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links