1911's - Page 5

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bad Bob Attachment 310724 Wish my Wife could put up with a tad bit of cold & snow. Live in the south, ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: 1911's

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Wish my Wife could put up with a tad bit of cold & snow.
    Live in the south, turn up the A/C, live in the cold turn up the heat. But....
    Bad Bob likes this.

I spent a while looking at some options. I do have a couple wants concerning how the gun should look. I haven't gone in search of how easy it would be to get a gun and change what I didn't like about it.

With that said, I have to admit I work on all my own guns. I am not a gunsmith and since I'm not I don't alter triggers or the corresponding mechanisms. But I am not afraid to disassemble a complicated firearm. I take my CZ82 down to pieces (32 of them actually) and never had any problems getting it back together and working correctly. However, I do a lot of research beforehand and if I think it's simply too complicated I won't. If special tools are required and they are not easily available or just too expensive, again, I won't.

Be that as it may, I narrowed my likes down to various manufacturers of the Commander model. 4.25" barrel, drilled trigger, and night sites. The problem I'm finding is the trigger on some of the ones I really like is solid. I've begun to see that there are some good guns at much less money than I was willing to spend. And that a drilled trigger seems to appear on guns of nearly the same model with a much higher price. If that extra money gains more than just a drilled trigger then it's likely worth the extra cash, if not, the trigger isn't worth it, so getting an aftermarket trigger (which I haven't checked into to see if it's even possible) would be the way to go.

Lots more searching to be done on those subjects.
    Old Man likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I spent a while looking at some options. I do have a couple wants concerning how the gun should look. I haven't gone in search of how easy it would be to get a gun and change what I didn't like about it.

With that said, I have to admit I work on all my own guns. I am not a gunsmith and since I'm not I don't alter triggers or the corresponding mechanisms. But I am not afraid to disassemble a complicated firearm. I take my CZ82 down to pieces (32 of them actually) and never had any problems getting it back together and working correctly. However, I do a lot of research beforehand and if I think it's simply too complicated I won't. If special tools are required and they are not easily available or just too expensive, again, I won't.

Be that as it may, I narrowed my likes down to various manufacturers of the Commander model. 4.25" barrel, drilled trigger, and night sites. The problem I'm finding is the trigger on some of the ones I really like is solid. I've begun to see that there are some good guns at much less money than I was willing to spend. And that a drilled trigger seems to appear on guns of nearly the same model with a much higher price. If that extra money gains more than just a drilled trigger then it's likely worth the extra cash, if not, the trigger isn't worth it, so getting an aftermarket trigger (which I haven't checked into to see if it's even possible) would be the way to go.

Lots more searching to be done on those subjects.
    You'll find 3 hole triggers about anywhere that sells 1911 parts. (all of them may or may not have to be fitted)

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...UkxBTgQ4dUDCAc

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Trigger...oductinfo/190/

https://www.edbrown.com/product/trigger/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If all that is stopping you from buying a gun you like is the trigger, buy that gun and swap the trigger out. You've said you're not afraid to tear them apart. Triggers are pretty easy to install.

1911's in general are pretty simple to tear down and reassemble.

Good luck to you in your search!

Oh, and post pics when you do get one

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    oldIthink and msgt/ret like this.

As with many things, there are wants and there are needs, this is a want right now. I already bought seven guns in the last two months. My wife said to slow down some. All my purchases were inexpensive and cheap (4 Heritage rough riders, 2 CPX2's, and a Classic Firearms SKS type 56). I'm learning as I go, so I didn't want expensive guns to work on.

I've also got 6 AR's in various stages of completion, a black powder pistol that needs more in-letting, and last but not least a 1978 vintage, CVA double barrel 12 gauge, (black powder shotgun kit) that's completely finished but waiting to be browned. Those are just what I'm working on currently.

Nothing I do gets done quickly. The shotgun has been three or four years in the making. The AR's I started a few years year ago, one is totally operational at this point. I buy a part every now and again when something catches my eye. And since I already had a Yugo SKS I tried to not take the bait but I couldn't resist getting a Chinese version for my Christmas present to me. Turns out it came as an all matching numbers gun, including the stock. Bummer! I was hoping to get a frankengun so I could modify it the way I wanted to. But I'm not messing with all matching numbers. I just hope it shoots good. When the temps go above the freezing point of a witches bosom I'll go out and test it.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Of the dozen + 1911s I've had, I've had the most trouble with Kimber with a total of four guns being problematic and requiring everything short of exorcism.

Never again.

The only sub $2k guns I'd be looking at, especially in 9mm would be Dan Wesson and STI.

And even then I'd toss the mags and buy all Wilsons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Similar to my experience.
    JD likes this.

2K is really out of the question. Sub 1k or slightly more is doable, but less is always better in my book. I'm well aware that I'll get what I pay for. Except here in Iowa, where I generally get much less than I pay for.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    2K is really out of the question. Sub 1k or slightly more is doable, but less is always better in my book. I'm well aware that I'll get what I pay for. Except here in Iowa, where I generally get much less than I pay for.
    Here ya go.

These guys are in Vinton.

Better get it before I do!

https://www.tacticalcreations.com/Us...ne_p_6319.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I payed roughly 800 a piece for the Colts after tax because I bought them lightly used. I purchased the Springfield Defender series Gov model for 505 out da door.

So for 2100 bucks I have 3 very functional working class guns to choose from as I desire, and a back up for a back up if something breaks, and has to be fixed in one.....I believe in this protocol wholeheartedly.

Since July, I have spent about 1400.00 bucks in ammo, which is about 4000 rounds of ammo, not counting handloads that I have ran thru them....I have done a hell of a lot practice, sweat time, and bloody palms from blood blisters where I kept pinching my hands when being overzealous with slamming the reload home, in an attempt to totally become as good as I can with these guns.

My advice is to pick something, get a back up to it, and then spend money on ammo and training time. There are a lot of good quality guns out there, and you donít need to spend big money to get decent quality for the level the average person will do with it.

I hope to Hell I have the opportunity to run any of these guns hard enough, and often enough to break something.
    1911's-3f9e62b5-2244-4069-99b0-a93449d45d09.jpeg
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I payed roughly 800 a piece for the Colts after tax because I bought them lightly used. I purchased the Springfield Defender series Gov model for 505 out da door.

So for 2100 bucks I have 3 very functional working class guns to choose from as I desire, and a back up for a back up if something breaks, and has to be fixed in one.....I believe in this protocol wholeheartedly.

Since July, I have spent about 1400.00 bucks in ammo, which is about 4000 rounds of ammo, not counting handloads that I have ran thru them....I have done a hell of a lot practice, sweat time, and bloody palms from blood blisters where I kept pinching my hands when being overzealous with slamming the reload home, in an attempt to totally become as good as I can with these guns.

My advice is to pick something, get a back up to it, and then spend money on ammo and training time. There are a lot of good quality guns out there, and you donít need to spend big money to get decent quality for the level the average person will do with it.

I hope to Hell I have the opportunity to run any of these guns hard enough, and often enough to break something.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F9E62B5-2244-4069-99B0-A93449D45D09.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	311478
    Same here.

I don't have to have a "NEW" gun. "NEW TO ME" works just as well. The two hundred I saved buying the Colt Comp Series with two boxes of ammo through it paid for a thousand rounds of ammo.

Don't get caught up in the mindset that "PRE-OWNED GUNS ARE JUNK", they're usually not. There are some very good deals to be had, if you are patient and keep your eyes open.
    JD, OD*, G-man* and 3 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Same here.

I don't have to have a "NEW" gun. "NEW TO ME" works just as well. The two hundred I saved buying the Colt Comp Series with two boxes of ammo through it paid for a thousand rounds of ammo.

Don't get caught up in the mindset that "PRE-OWNED GUNS ARE JUNK", they're usually not. There are some very good deals to be had, if you are patient and keep your eyes open.
    Yep. And if you buy it at a place where they have an indoor range, like Buds here in Lexington, Since itís used, they will let you shoot it for a few bucks, and if you like it, those few bucks go towards the purchase. If ya donít, they keep the money. You canít go wrong there!
    airslot, OD*, oldIthink and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Yep. And if you buy it at a place where they have an indoor range, like Buds here in Lexington, Since itís used, they will let you shoot it for a few bucks, and if you like it, those few bucks go towards the purchase. If ya donít, they keep the money. You canít go wrong there!
    Dang, I wish there was anyplace like that around here.
    G-man*, airslot and OD* like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Have you shot a 1911? Your post makes me think you havenít.

Go and rent some, then decide if it is what you want.
    Be careful. If he does that, he may never look at anything else.
    airslot, Struckat and oldIthink like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Buds will do that on a used gun? Man, I only live about an hour and half from Buds in Seviereville, TN. Had no idea they offered that!
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    Buds will do that on a used gun? Man, I only live about an hour and half from Buds in Seviereville, TN. Had no idea they offered that!
    Well now ya do. Next time you're looking for something new, make a day of it and try a few.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links