1911's - Page 6

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mhl6493 Buds will do that on a used gun? Man, I only live about an hour and half from Buds in Seviereville, ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: 1911's

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    Buds will do that on a used gun? Man, I only live about an hour and half from Buds in Seviereville, TN. Had no idea they offered that!
    I don’t think it’s something they advertise, and it may not be a common practice, but I am a long time customer before Buds was a thing.

If I’m serious about buying a used gun, they will charge me a rental and range fee, and let me shoot the gun. If I don’t buy, they keep the money. If I do, the money is applied to the gun.

If I were you, and wanted to buy something, you should ask them.
    airslot, OD*, mhl6493 and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I don't have anything against used. Heck, I buy mostly milsurp, how much more used can they come?
    sparkyfender and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Here ya go.

These guys are in Vinton.

Better get it before I do!

https://www.tacticalcreations.com/Us...ne_p_6319.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    It's yours! It's NICE! I've been by their shop before but didn't have time to wander in. Vinton is about an hour m/l from me. I'm north of Waverly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I am a long-time 1911 guy, but I don't consider myself any expert. A guy I know is, though. He works at my LGS, is a gunsmith and a lifelong 1911 aficionado. He owns several now and has owned many of them in the past, including the high-end custom brands. We worked the VCDL booth at a gunshow recently and talked about it. His opinion we unequivocal. He said the best 1911s for the money right now are the Springfields, to the point that if he were buying a new 1911 that's what he would buy, even if he could afford a more expensive gun.
    Interesting post as I am considering a Springfield Professional 1911 .45 ACP.

I'm feeling like a pogo stick. This one, that one, this one, ....they all seem good. The prevailing opinion has me looking at what's available in the lower price ranges, relatively speaking.

One thing opinion has done for sure is to have me look at the one indoor range I'm within a 100 miles from. They rent a couple of the 1911's I've narrowed it down to, as well as some I haven't even considered. So I might bite the bullet and take a day to go down and see how nervous I'll be having to abide by rules I've never had to deal with before. I don't even know some of the rules I read they have. it's not that I disagree with some of them, well yeah, I do disagree with some of them, but it's not my shop.

I think when it's all over I'll stick with my backyard range and buy just on looks and wants. I can always sell it if it doesn't work out. But even that never happens, I've only sold one gun since I started collecting/building them over 15 years ago and I regret it every time I think about it.
    Old Man likes this.

I was in the same fix , trying to figure out what to buy. I never buy new always used so I try to find the best bargain for the money. There has been a lot of 1911 threads lately and I got the “itch”. Been looking for about 2 months and I came across two that I bought. Just picked them up at the FFL’s today. Good luck hunting.....
    oldIthink, airslot and Old Man like this.

Ain’t nuthin’ wrong with the Remington R1 1911.
    A great value for under $500 (bought mine new two years ago for $399 after a cash rebate promo), with very good fit & finish. It shoots where I point it and hasn’t failed yet.

1911's-e6e160b5-af4e-4b5e-aad0-bb9c954e0442.jpeg
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by taltexan View Post
    I was in the same fix , trying to figure out what to buy. I never buy new always used so I try to find the best bargain for the money. There has been a lot of 1911 threads lately and I got the “itch”. Been looking for about 2 months and I came across two that I bought. Just picked them up at the FFL’s today. Good luck hunting.....
    I'd be interested in knowing what you bought and how you like them. How they fit big hands, small hands, fit, finish, etc.

This may take awhile. I haven't been getting many hours at work due to weather related issues for the last couple of weeks so money will be tight for a month or so.

I drive for a living and when the roads are bad I don't drive. Not me, I'm willing, but the company I work for has some bug about safety they can't get over. Around this house it's feast or famine.
    airslot and Old Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing what you bought and how you like them. How they fit big hands, small hands, fit, finish, etc.
    I found a Les Baer Premier 2 and a Dan Wesson V-Bob. Both guns were used. Fit and finish was excellent. I guess I have medium size hands, I’ll know more when I get to shoot them.
    msgt/ret, airslot and Bad Bob like this.

I don't have an M1911... I carried one for more than 15 years in the Army, and the WW2/Korea/Vietnam hand-me-downs that we were issued were so rattly and worn down that you took two boxes of ammo to the range for qualification - one to "register" the weapon to see where the hell it was hitting in relation to what you were aiming at, then the second box to try and qualify with. I had a personal M1911 back then, but traded it off for a Beretta when the Army transitioned to the new pistol.

These days, I do have -and like- 45s, I have a Shield 45 which gives me the same firepower as an M1911 ina much smaller package, and a Glock 41, which gives me double the capacity and reliability, also in a nicer, lighter package.
    Old Man likes this.

For under $1200, I would look at the Kimber AEGIS ELITE CUSTOM. I have an older model in 9mm that has never let me down. Accurate and reliable. Easy to carry.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/aegis-elite-custom-1

1911's-aegiselite_custom_532_495.png

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    What is wrong with MIM?
    when it comes to 1911 purists MIM is a dark cloud but on guns like glocks and sigs
    it goes under the radar. (powdered metal vs forged)
    When it comes to 1911s most guys have no idea what they own ,its branding that wins.
    oldIthink likes this.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    when it comes to 1911 purists MIM is a dark cloud but on guns like glocks and sigs
    it goes under the radar. (powdered metal vs forged)
    When it comes to 1911s most guys have no idea what they own ,its branding that wins.
    My question was rhetorical. The answer is with quality MIM there is nothing wrong and sometimes superior to some other materials depending on the application and the part. Slide stops, safeties etc are fine. You talk 1911 purists, crap, if it's not a GOV issue Colt or Colt clone its not a 1911 to them.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Yup.………..all mine are Series 70...….it's not a .45 unless it has a "Horse on it"...…...not withstanding my Glock.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links