1911's - Page 7

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by xXxHeavy Yup.………..all mine are Series 70...….it's not a .45 unless it has a "Horse on it"...…...not withstanding my Glock. The Pony and ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: 1911's

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Yup.………..all mine are Series 70...….it's not a .45 unless it has a "Horse on it"...…...not withstanding my Glock.
    The Pony and Mustang have horses on it and they are 380’s.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Wise guy...………..Hmmmm.
    G-man* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Wise guy...………..Hmmmm.
    Hey, I couldn’t resist:)
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    msgt/ret, G-man*, airslot and 2 others like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

1911's-1b49f599-2a6d-4698-98b7-ddac71ebd0f8.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing what you bought and how you like them. How they fit big hands, small hands, fit, finish, etc.
    I got to shoot 125 rds of fmj (Geco and PMC) thru the Baer. No problems with either. The Geco was cleaner. 10 and 15 yds. Got a few flyers....lolI1911's-8ef1e2b7-727b-4446-9160-216d824e4b5d.jpeg

TalTexan, that's a nice one!

While my paycheck is on hiatus I will be doing more reading of reviews on 1911's and looking forward to more opinions here. All of the good, the bad, and the ugly, works for me. While I am willing to pay for a good quality gun, I don't always care to pay for just a name. Names don't always equate to quality, especially these days. What I am seeing however, is that the majority of 1911's I seem look at simply for looks are in the $500-$900 range. No particular brand names. I'm now looking at all finishes: SS, blued, and that muchly not liked - cerakote. I might be dissuaded from disliking cerakote but I have painted pistols already and as a coating, regardless of it's durability, it just makes any firearm look ....painted. YUCK! My CZ82's and PHP's notwithstanding.

Are there any 1911 clones to just stay far away from? Real well known reason's, not just the 'they sell cheap, so they are cheap' reason's? (although I understand that is often true, just not always true). I'll be looking on my own but I never took an Evelyn Woods speed reading course!
    taltexan likes this.

As I have said earlier I really don't know squat about 1911's but, the first one I bought just last summer was a used Para lightweight commander for $425. Don't know about MIM, series 70 vs 80 or anything else except its an ultra reliable laser beam of a handgun and I am very happy with it. Maybe it was to my advantage to have little knowledge this time. I just liked the balance and feel of the gun as well as the traditional looks and took a chance. I did always want the whole "1911 experience" though meaning barrel bushing, GI recoil setup,etc.
    1911's-para-commander.jpg
    It may be a low brow attitude but, when a gun preforms like this one does all the little technical stuff means very little to me. I am enjoying my journey into the 1911 world.
    airslot, taltexan, G-man* and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    As I have said earlier I really don't know squat about 1911's but, the first one I bought just last summer was a used Para lightweight commander for $425. Don't know about MIM, series 70 vs 80 or anything else except its an ultra reliable laser beam of a handgun and I am very happy with it. Maybe it was to my advantage to have little knowledge this time. I just liked the balance and feel of the gun as well as the traditional looks and took a chance. I did always want the whole "1911 experience" though meaning barrel bushing, GI recoil setup,etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Para commander.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	311980
    It may be a low brow attitude but, when a gun preforms like this one does all the little technical stuff means very little to me. I am enjoying my journey into the 1911 world.
    Well, that’s a nice gun. I had the LTC PARA, which is a lot like yours, and it worked fine.
    OD* likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

After gifting all three of my 1911s (Colt, SA, Remington) to my sons & DIL, all I have left of JMB’s design is this little brother...

1911's-d475aa4b-09ae-488f-bd65-5b0088478a58.jpeg
    msgt/ret and JD like this.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

In my opinion, if you can find a Dan Wesson in that range go for it but since you probably won't, I'd definitely look at the Springfield RO series.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Sponsored Links