Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed. - Page 3

Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed.

This is a discussion on Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have pocket carried a Sig P938 since they came out. My wife carried an S&W 640 .357 magnum for many years until her arthritis ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed.

I have pocket carried a Sig P938 since they came out. My wife carried an S&W 640 .357 magnum for many years until her arthritis got so bad, she had to use both index fingers to pull the double action only trigger. She tried several guns including my Sig P938. She liked it so much, she bought one. It is now her primary carry with an extended magazine.
    msgt/ret and surefire7 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Regarding the pain from the G43 trigger, both my 43 and 48 both came with very sharp ridges on the triggers. I took some sandpaper to both of them to remove the ridge. I assume the sharp ridges are leftovers from the manufacturing process. Not good from Glock, but 10minutes later the triggers are now fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Maybe the 938 stoked with Critical Defense lite?
    She will rent it and others this weekend, so we shall see.

I told her I had shot it and she wanted details. I just told her to try it for herself and make up her own mind. Saturday is her day to try everything they have that interests her, and Iím paying.

Hope she quickly decides, lol.

But regardless of the carry ammo, she still has to be able to shoot the regular stuff for practice.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

shot a 43X at my daughter's over Christmas. Totally different feeling gun than my G43. 43X shoots like a Glock 19. If you are looking for a single stack (well kinda) check out the G43X.
    I shot a 938 a while ago.....and it was punishing. Seemed like the recoil was just having too much fun slapping the crap out of my hand. Hated it.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I have pocket carried a Sig P938 since they came out. My wife carried an S&W 640 .357 magnum for many years until her arthritis got so bad, she had to use both index fingers to pull the double action only trigger. She tried several guns including my Sig P938. She liked it so much, she bought one. It is now her primary carry with an extended magazine.
    The thing is, there is a difference in having something that shoots ok for limited use, and having something that you are going to fire several hundred rounds thru in a very short time period.

Big difference in casual shooting and actually getting dirty and bloody from manipulating it hard and fast for a few hours at a time.

I have no doubt that she can ď shootĒ the 938, and shoot it well for an impromptu target session. And it would certainly be a great CARRY AROUND gun.

But I am not sure that it will be a good gun to do any real training with that will help develop her to the skill levels I would like to see her acquire.

But we shall see....
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    shot a 43X at my daughter's over Christmas. Totally different feeling gun than my G43. 43X shoots like a Glock 19. If you are looking for a single stack (well kinda) check out the G43X.
    I shot a 938 a while ago.....and it was punishing. Seemed like the recoil was just having too much fun slapping the crap out of my hand. Hated it.
    Not looking for a Glock of any kind.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Has your wife tried the P-238? They are some of the softest and best shooting .380's out there! They can be very accurate as well! Good Luck G-Man!
    I rented one of those once. It was a real pleasure to shoot, with good ergonomics, sights and trigger - heavier than a typical 1911 but crisp. But, I had at least one (I think two, but it was a few years ago) failure to extract, meaning I had to dig the casing out of the chamber with my fingernails. It was a range gun, so who knows what horrors it experienced, but if I carried one I think I'd keep it clean and keep an eye on the extractor.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Look at a Springfield EMP if you can.

I think it's just what youíre looking for...
    G-man*, 5lima30ret and Workaholic like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    if it is not pleasant enough to practice with on a regular basis, it might as well be a rock you carry around. I would rather have a 380 in these sized guns that I can enjoy shooting enough to build up a modicum of skill, than something that felt like I was getting bit by a pit bull every time I pulled the trigger.
    This is a big thing for me. I just can't keep a gun I don't like shooting. I kept a beautiful PPK/S for 20 years due to sentimental attachment, but I hated shooting it so much I finally caved and sold it. It's one of the few guns I have sold that I don't miss at all. I've had a few other guns since that I just didn't enjoy shooting, and they are now gone.

That said, it's easy to forget 9mm is a pretty potent round. I didn't really appreciate that until I started chrono-ing 357 from my Kimber K6S and realized 125gr 357 from a snubby is not much hotter than 124gr 9mm from a short barrel.
    G-man*, forester58 and ETXhiker like this.

I didn't see where you mentioned whether you used the six or seven round magazine for the 938. Apologize if I missed it.The seven round with the pinky extension can make a big difference.

Sig made a 22lr conversion kit for the 938, although it's been discontinued it might possibly be available somewhere and an option for practice should your wife really love the 938.

The Sig 365 mag release I find awkward to use and requires practice because I have to change my grasp of the pistol more than I am used to. A lot of work to change magazines, I can't just release it with my thumb. Also the trigger guard has a sharp edge to it where it contacts my middle finger. I prefer the 938.
    Good luck

VIP Member

I did like the 938. It was a little tack driver, but it was definitely not a cupcake. While I am not recoil sensitive, this is not a gun I would enjoy shooting for fun, although I shot it extreme well. And despite being totally caked with carbon buildup, it was flawless.
    Please have her try the SIG P238. I know you/she are set on 9mm - BUT my personal feeling is that good .380 ammo is going to do a fine job for me in any SD situation I wind up in (hopefully none) and the P238 is a total joy: Racks easily, very mild recoil, totally accurate, etc. The only drawback is that it is SMALL and a bit of a challenge to clean if you have large hands. I don't, so it's not a problem, but there are a LOT of teeny little places - same places as on other guns, just a lot smaller. AND although it is not a real 1911, it has the grip angle and the feel of one - baby size.

In fact, I put around 50 rounds through one of mine this afternoon, and it is just plain FUN to shoot. I actually have 2 of them, in different models. The only problem with .380 ammo is the price if you are going to shoot a few hundred rounds every week. And THAT is why I also take a .22 when I go to the range. I can shoot 50 or 60 rounds of .380 through one or two guns and then blast away with my S&W .22 compact "and a good time is had by all!!!!"

And there was a guy shooting a cute little .22 rifle when my friend and I got there. He was about finished but there is plenty of room on that all steel range for several people to shoot at once. Anyway we talked a couple minutes and he said he has a .380 but the recoil is horrendous. I asked him what brand. His reply: A S&W Bodyguard. WELL, duh.......those are nasty little beasts. So I let him shoot my P238 and boy was he impressed.

Back to - it will be her choice, but I would be pleased if she tries a P238 in the mix of other guns she will be trying.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Not looking for a Glock of any kind.

well, then.....Kahr K9.

G-man*, rx7sig and ETXhiker like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Please have her try the SIG P238. I know you/she are set on 9mm - BUT my personal feeling is that good .380 ammo is going to do a fine job for me in any SD situation I wind up in (hopefully none) and the P238 is a total joy: Racks easily, very mild recoil, totally accurate, etc. The only drawback is that it is SMALL and a bit of a challenge to clean if you have large hands. I don't, so it's not a problem, but there are a LOT of teeny little places - same places as on other guns, just a lot smaller. AND although it is not a real 1911, it has the grip angle and the feel of one - baby size.

In fact, I put around 50 rounds through one of mine this afternoon, and it is just plain FUN to shoot. I actually have 2 of them, in different models. The only problem with .380 ammo is the price if you are going to shoot a few hundred rounds every week. And THAT is why I also take a .22 when I go to the range. I can shoot 50 or 60 rounds of .380 through one or two guns and then blast away with my S&W .22 compact "and a good time is had by all!!!!"

And there was a guy shooting a cute little .22 rifle when my friend and I got there. He was about finished but there is plenty of room on that all steel range for several people to shoot at once. Anyway we talked a couple minutes and he said he has a .380 but the recoil is horrendous. I asked him what brand. His reply: A S&W Bodyguard. WELL, duh.......those are nasty little beasts. So I let him shoot my P238 and boy was he impressed.

Back to - it will be her choice, but I would be pleased if she tries a P238 in the mix of other guns she will be trying.
    Im waiting to see her thoughts on the 938 when she shoots it. IF, it is what I expect it to be after a few mags, I will trade it out for the 238....thatís the good thing about Buds, is you can keep trading out for free, or until you run out of range time. But you have to use their range ammo in their guns, which can get expensive if you are doing multiple calibers.
    5lima30ret and ShooterGranny like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Look at a Springfield EMP if you can.

I think it's just what youíre looking for b
    Im thinking something like that will be the sweet spot and check all the boxes.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Gman I'm one who doesn't like the G43 but I really do like the 43xand the 48, they feel more like a Shield in my hands and both shoot better than the regular G43, just size wise I prefer the G48 between the two
    5lima30ret likes this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links