Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed. - Page 4

Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed.

This is a discussion on Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a 938 for awhile, its a great little gun, accurate, easy to carry but definitely not fun for a long range session. I ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed.

I had a 938 for awhile, its a great little gun, accurate, easy to carry but definitely not fun for a long range session. I have an EMP 3 now and I think that is about as small as I want to go personally. The micro guns are appealing due to their weight and their ease of concealment but I find a commander or CCO in either 9 or 45 just as easy to hide away and its far easier for me to train with and to shoot accurately consistently.

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I have a Glock 43....its ok, but nothing to write home about.

I might humbly suggest you try the P365, with the regular sights. I found it a tack driver, no failures, and actually pretty soft shooting for a small pistol.
    Agreed. My P365 shoots much softer than an LC9s or G43. I havenít shot it on paper yet for accuracy, I can ding steel plates easily at 15 yards with a variety of ammo, and Iíve had no failures of any type.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    This is a big thing for me. I just can't keep a gun I don't like shooting. I kept a beautiful PPK/S for 20 years due to sentimental attachment, but I hated shooting it so much I finally caved and sold it. It's one of the few guns I have sold that I don't miss at all. I've had a few other guns since that I just didn't enjoy shooting, and they are now gone.

That said, it's easy to forget 9mm is a pretty potent round. I didn't really appreciate that until I started chrono-ing 357 from my Kimber K6S and realized 125gr 357 from a snubby is not much hotter than 124gr 9mm from a short barrel.
    9mm isnít the global standard sidearm caliber for nothing.
    drmordo likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

A friend who buys, decides she doesn't like a lot of guns that much, and sells, and so cycles through a lot of models started me shooting. I liked her P238 so much, that's what I got as my first gun. When she got a P938 later, and I tried that, it was way too snappy for me. If I'd tried the 938 first, my guess it would have prejudiced me so much I'd never have tried the 238.

A group of friends at my local club did a test of different firearm over a couple of weeks. We tested the Sig 365 with 1,000 rounds. Nice gun but not for all. We had 6 failures, which we contributed to user error. The Sig has a very narrow space between the receiver and grip. Big tendency for some to ride the slide. The Sig has a hulky take down lever and slide release. Way too big for a small gun. The Sig shot very similar to a Ruger LC9S but with just a little less recoil and muzzle flip. Still a snappy gun. The Glock for me, gives me a blister on my finger every time. Last time, I tried out the G43X with two hundred rounds and very nice blister was the result. I have a pic of it.
    If you want a really mild shooting firear the New Beretta Carry (formerly Beretta Nano) is about as soft shooting as you will find with very little muzzle flip and very low recoil. Small size, even technically smaller than the 365 and comes with a 8 round magazine. The Kahr CM 9 which has a higher recoil rating, actually shoots very well. Kahr has done something in the design to control Muzzle flip. Actually a smooth shooting gun. If I were to have to choose between the Sig 365 and 938, I would definitely choose the 938. JMO, the 365 is NOT a good fit for my hand.
    My choice is the APX carry. Nice smooth Striker fired DAO trigger. Modular take down, extremely well built and solid.
    Here is a list of Recoil rating which I feel is very close to how our group felt. Courtesy of Genitron.

Diamondback-DB9---9.28
    Keltec PF-9------------9.79
    Kahr CM9---------------7.7
    *Ruger LC9S------------7.24
    *Sig 365------------------6.99
    Sig 938--------------------6.99
    MP Shield-----------------6.8
    Springfield Hellcat------6.78
    Glock 43X------------------6.93
    Beretta APX Carry/Nano--6.18

Distinguished Member Array Rotorflyr's Avatar
    Have yet to see one in the wild, but what about this:
    mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety

I realize it isn't exactly 1911ish, but it does have the manual safety and a grip safety....Shot a buddies shield in .45 and thought is was pretty soft shooting, so I'd imagine the 9mm should be as well.
    10thmtn and G-man* like this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Lead Moderator
    My wife like her 238 for summer carry. I liked hers so much I got a Springfield 911 for my self( nearly the same gun). Both accurate and easy to shoot . Ammo is the only kicker , as 380 is more $ than 9.
    5lima30ret, G-man*, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Have yet to see one in the wild, but what about this:
    mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety

I realize it isn't exactly 1911ish, but it does have the manual safety and a grip safety....Shot a buddies shield in .45 and thought is was pretty soft shooting, so I'd imagine the 9mm should be as well.
    Good suggestion.

In addition to being 1911-like in controls and safeties, itís probably one of the lightest weight options under consideration.

And if the 9mm proves too snappy or heavy, thereís the original 380 version.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My wife like her 238 for summer carry. I liked hers so much I got a Springfield 911 for my self( nearly the same gun). Both accurate and easy to shoot . Ammo is the only kicker , as 380 is more $ than 9.
    Iíve started seeing FMJ 380 for close to 9mm at Target Sports USA.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have seen 380 ammo made by Legend sold in Buds in a bag of 100 rounds for $27. As a matter of fact I bought a bag for my BG 380, and it is really good stuff.
    OD* and rocky like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    -4e4dc3a6-8ba8-4f0a-895a-7ace13b4c26b.jpeg
    MMinSC and rocky like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4E4DC3A6-8BA8-4F0A-895A-7ACE13B4C26B.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	310810
    You should probably order a set of dies in .380 so you can reload your .380 Magnums.
    G-man* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I have seen 380 ammo made by Legend sold in Buds in a bag of 100 rounds for $27. As a matter of fact I bought a bag for my BG 380, and it is really good stuff.
    That is a great price for 380 JHPs...IF they actually expand and penetrate out of a short barrel. Remanufactured?

I have to look into those when Iím off work. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    9mm almost as good as 357 mag from short barrel....MMMmmmmm
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Women and firearms ! I learned 43 years a's wife asked if she wanted to try her beretta 84 I think , then asked if she could try my DW 15-2 that I had some lite loads for . Well she loved the 4x4 club weekend outing and firearms enough that she bought her own DW 15-2 a few weeks later and I got me a keeper too !!

So thru the years I would come home from work to see a new handgun once in a while . Her first CC handgun is bersa 380 then one days a little TCP 380 for when smaller was needed and then a couple years later a M&P 9c showed up along with a comp-tac neutral like I had then a 4.25 m&p core . Dang M&P 's , Thank god for apex tactical .

I day I wanted a small carry option and bought myself a Kimber ss ultra 9mm added some thin grips for better concealment and did my normal 400 round brake in to get use to a new to me firearm and when I noticed my wife watching and stupidly asked Would you like to shoot it honey ? And after a few mags of ammo where fired she claimed it as her new EDC !! Now she is 5-2 and 64 years young carry's it in her old MTAC or a new stealth gear mini and she keeps my reloading 9mm .

I wanted to get rid of my colts trigger rattle and want'ed to try a short trigger when my wife saw me looking at EB short smooth trigger and she asked about them and what I was going to do so I ended up was ordering 2 triggers and fit them so the rattle was gone in both and lighten both trigger to 3.5 lbs . In the year and a few months shes had that Kimber ultra 9mm she has fired a few thousand rounds of home rolled ammo and carrys 147gr hst . . I have a daughter that carrys a glock 19 and all of use carry high on our sides at 3:00 . My wife still carrys a little tcp 380 occasionally too in a little desantis soft tuk I also load practice ammo for it too . My wife is not going to have a chance to shoot my new p320XC !!

WIFES We sure can't live with out a good women beside us so we have to learn how to live with them .
    G-man*, MMinSC, rocky and 1 others like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links