Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed.

This is a discussion on Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, at lunch I went to Buds and tried 3 9mmís compact guns, well 2 compact and 1 officer sized Springfield 1911. First, the Officer ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Just rented and shot 3 small 9mmís; Not impressed.

So, at lunch I went to Buds and tried 3 9mmís compact guns, well 2 compact and 1 officer sized Springfield 1911.

First, the Officer sized Springer; very nice. Had all the bells and whistles.....but it was nothing special. And actually, it seemed to me that it offered nothing over the 45 auto in the way of muzzle flip and bark. What is strange, is that in comparison it felt similar to a G23 with target ammo.

This was kind of a concern because the next gun was a Sig 938, which was lighter and much smaller.

I did like the 938. It was a little tack driver, but it was definitely not a cupcake. While I am not recoil sensitive, this is not a gun I would enjoy shooting for fun, although I shot it extreme well. And despite being totally caked with carbon buildup, it was flawless.

Next up was the G43.

I love Glocks, but this damn thing did things to my finger that stung like the dickens after a few mags. I had heard of ďGlock fingerĒ , and I donít know if this is what I experienced, but my trigger finger hurt for a few minutes after I finished the 50 rounds I put thru it.

So there it is; 3 small 9mm guns, 150 rounds and 30 minutes time. I came away with the opinion that Iíd much rather have a 380 version if I was going to buy one of them ( except for the officer sized Springfield).

These are the guns the wife wants to try for weight reduction, so I thought I would go and try them.
    She wants to stick to the 1911 platform, but wants a lighter gun. What I wanted to try was the Colt Defender in 9mm but the Springfield was all they had that was a close match.

Im not going to tell her I have fired them so she will have an unbiased experience. But I would not be surprised if she did not like the Sig 938. And Iím certain she will hate the G43.

Strictly my thoughts here; regardless of the gun or caliber, if it is not pleasant enough to practice with on a regular basis, it might as well be a rock you carry around. I would rather have a 380 in these sized guns that I can enjoy shooting enough to build up a modicum of skill, than something that felt like I was getting bit by a pit bull every time I pulled the trigger. Hell, Iíd rather put 50 rounds of full house Magnum 44ís thru a mountain revolver than these little buggers I shot today ( speaking strictly of the 938 and G43)!

My guess is the Colt Defender 9mm will be her perfect gun since she carries the Combat Commander now and shoots it well.

We shall see....
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Interesting. My daughter has a 938 SAS, which cost almost as much as a good 1911 and she doesn't even keep it loaded. Instead, she carries her 238. I shot both and while they felt fine, didn't seem to have have any trigger finger issues, and were accurate with good triggers, I just could never justify the price.

My favorite small 9's are my two custom Kel-Tec PF-9s. I just rebuilt them basically from the ground up with M-Carbo trigger kits, springs, stainless feed ramps, and a few other goodies. I suppose if they sold them like that from the factory, they would be very popular.

Hope your wife finds something she likes.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Interesting. My daughter has a 938 SAS, which cost almost as much as a good 1911 and she doesn't even keep it loaded. Instead, she carries her 238. I shot both and while they felt fine, didn't seem to have have any trigger finger issues, and were accurate with good triggers, I just could never justify the price.

My favorite small 9's are my two custom Kel-Tec PF-9s. I just rebuilt them basically from the ground up with M-Carbo trigger kits, springs, stainless feed ramps, and a few other goodies. I suppose if they sold them like that from the factory, they would be very popular.

Hope your wife finds something she likes.
    The 938 didnít cause the trigger hurt, it was the G43.

The Sig 938 is a great gun, but too much of a good thing for real training sessions imo.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I prefer my 40 S&W mid sized semi auto over the small 9's too, when I'm not carrying something that's all steel.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms

Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I found the exact same thing when I was shopping for a subcompact 9 -- the G43 just plain hurt my fingers to shoot, and I couldn't shoot it worth a durn either.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I found the exact same thing when I was shopping for a subcompact 9 -- the G43 just plain hurt my fingers to shoot, and I couldn't shoot it worth a durn either.
    Its hard to concentrate on fundamentals when you know pulling that trigger is going to be painful:)
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

I did the same thing a while back with 3 small 9mm's as wellóSig P365 SAS, Springfield Hellcat, and a Glock 43X.

The Sig wouldíve been the winner...if the sights hadnít been off; all shooters put rounds 6Ē left at 7 yards, all experienced shooters (1 VERY experiencedóbuddy's son currently serving with those guys in Coronado)...and there is no adjusting the sights, either. The Hellcat was nice, but the trigger, I thought, could be improved quite a bit. Accuracy was so-so, but I did like that big orange front sight and generous rear U-notch.

The 43X was a surprise...I liked it a lot. In fact, if I ever get a smaller striker for carry...it'll be the main contender. Incredibly natural pointer, for a Glock.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Has your wife tried the P-238? They are some of the softest and best shooting .380's out there! They can be very accurate as well! Good Luck G-Man!
    Cuda66, OldChap, ETXhiker and 3 others like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'm not a fan of tiny nines either. I owned a P938 and LC9s, and never could shoot them as well as I wanted to. I'm still wishing for a P365-380. It'll probably never happen, but I can dream.
    OldChap and G-man* like this.

I really dug my P938. And you're right, they are lil tack drivers, at least mine was. And it was a just a cool lil mini 1911ish gun. But it was just too small for my hands. Even though I shot it well, it just wasn't comfortable for me to hang on to.

I tried my sons G43. For some reason I didn't shoot that one very well. And it was then that I came to the conclusion anything smaller than a Shield was just not my cup of tea.

Oddly, I shoot the heck out of lil J Frames with boot grips, even less to hang on to, but it works for me. Of course that could just be 36 years of shooting J frames that comes into play.
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Interesting. My daughter has a 938 SAS, which cost almost as much as a good 1911 and she doesn't even keep it loaded.
    Have to shop around for the 938 at a decent price. This one is $448 with free shipping. For years PSA was running the $499 deal on the SAS edition, that was a great deal.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Have to shop around for the 938 at a decent price. This one is $448 with free shipping. For years PSA was running the $499 deal on the SAS edition, that was a great deal.
    It is. She bought hers when it was first released. IIRC she paid close to $900 or so for it.

@G-man*
    The 938 didnít cause the trigger hurt, it was the G43.
    Gotcha. My comment about finger pain was more general since a lot of triggers in small trigger guards slap my fingers.
    MMinSC, G-man* and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I did like the 938. It was a little tack driver, but it was definitely not a cupcake. While I am not recoil sensitive, this is not a gun I would enjoy shooting for fun, although I shot it extreme well. And despite being totally caked with carbon buildup, it was flawless.
    The little 938 does shoot surprisingly well for being so small. Going on 7 years with mine. I actually enjoy shooting it but rarely shoot more than 150 rounds at a time. It is a bit snappy though which is strange considering how easy it is to shoot very well. Way more comfortable than my LCP though. After a couple mags I have to kinda make myself shoot it. Doesn't hurt and no trigger finger issues, just do not enjoy. As such, I only carry it for fishing or anything where it might get dunked or filthy.

Now the 238HD, which is the all steel model, I imagine is a real joy to shoot. The regular 238 shoots great but the few extra ounces of a steel model would really make it shine.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    ...regardless of the gun or caliber, if it is not pleasant enough to practice with on a regular basis, it might as well be a rock you carry around...
    Exactly!
    Well said.
    And it's particularly true about small and very small pistols, the effective shooting of which requires continual practice.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I have a Glock 43....its ok, but nothing to write home about.

I might humbly suggest you try the P365, with the regular sights. I found it a tack driver, no failures, and actually pretty soft shooting for a small pistol.
    Poorly and BamaT like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links