Does anyone carry a K-Frame? - Page 2

Does anyone carry a K-Frame?

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry a K-Frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I checked out a 4" 686+ yesterday, and was really impressed. I'd have thought it would ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Does anyone carry a K-Frame?

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I checked out a 4" 686+ yesterday, and was really impressed. I'd have thought it would be way too much, but then I sometimes pack a 4506-1 IWB, so the major concern for concealment would be the width of the cylinder. Not that I'd CCW it that often, but keep it as a truck/woods piece.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    While I prefer a 1911, I have no qualms about toting my SP101 from time to time. I dont know if I would enjoy setting it off in the house very much but I would if I had to....I just know the look I get at the range when I touch off my first round...
    Old Man, airslot and CLASS3NH like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I've been carrying the same 4" S&W 66 (K Frame) for 36 years now. I carried it on duty for several years in the early '80s, and off duty for a while til I got my first J Frame. I went through my law enforcement basic training with it. These days it's my go-to outdoors gun when I'm either big game hunting or not carrying a long gun at all.

I've shot thousands of rounds of full snort magnums and .38 Specials through it and it is tight and shiny as new. I've always maintained and cleaned it well and it has never given me one second of trouble and never needed any work done to it. Only thing I've ever done to it was change the grips.

I also have a 4" S&W 686 (L Frame) and a 4" Ruger GP100. They are both excellent guns but I've never seen the reason to change from my trusty old 66.

As far as handling magnums, the 66 weighs in at about 36 oz. and the 686 and GP100 at about 40 oz. That extra 4 oz makes a lil bit of a difference but not enough to be deal breaker.

I think the new S&W 66 has been beefed up in critical areas, so it should last you a lifetime also. I think most stories you hear of blown up K Frames and cracked forcing cones of the past were mostly results of abuse and neglect, especially neglect with not cleaning the forcing cone after shooting lead bullets (very common in the past) and them following that with high pressure jacketed magnums through a dirty, leaded up forcing cone.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    I've been carrying the same 4" S&W 66 (K Frame) for 36 years now. I carried it on duty for several years in the early '80s, and off duty for a while til I got my first J Frame. I went through my law enforcement basic training with it. These days it's my go-to outdoors gun when I'm either big game hunting or not carrying a long gun at all.

I've shot thousands of rounds of full snort magnums and .38 Specials through it and it is tight and shiny as new. I've always maintained and cleaned it well and it has never given me one second of trouble and never needed any work done to it. Only thing I've ever done to it was change the grips.

I also have a 4" S&W 686 (L Frame) and a 4" Ruger GP100. They are both excellent guns but I've never seen the reason to change from my trusty old 66.

As far as handling magnums, the 66 weighs in at about 36 oz. and the 686 and GP100 at about 40 oz. That extra 4 oz makes a lil bit of a difference but not enough to be deal breaker.

I think the new S&W 66 has been beefed up in critical areas, so it should last you a lifetime also. I think most stories you hear of blown up K Frames and cracked forcing cones of the past were mostly results of abuse and neglect, especially neglect with not cleaning the forcing cone after shooting lead bullets (very common in the past) and them following that with high pressure jacketed magnums through a dirty, leaded up forcing cone.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm starting to like the 66 more and more.
    Bigsteve113 and CLASS3NH like this.

Had a 2.25 inch SP101...heavy enough to absorb "some" of the .357 recoil...its definitely doable...but the 5 round capacity + overall weight of the gun made it expendable...so off it went to fund other purchases. If I'm only going to carry 5 shots - it'll be a .38 that weighs 10 oz less...but that's just what works for me. Lots of folks love the SP101 and it was indeed very reliable while I had it.

If you liked the 4 inch 686+ you should take a look at the 2.5 inch version...The shorter barrel makes it easier to conceal or wear on the hip in the woods...you give up a little velocity with the shorter barrel - but you aren't giving up practical accuracy. It is uncannily accurate for a "snub". Honestly - I am as accurate with it as I am with my 586 4 inch .357 magnum. I sent mine back to S&W and had them do a Master Revolver trigger job (I think that's what its called) and the double action trigger pull is astonishing now. Well worth every penny (@$150 as I recall).

For K frame - no doubt that the 66 is a fine revolver. New or old - buy with confidence. I understand the newer model has a beefed up frame compared to the older models...so if the lock doesn't bother you - that's definitely a gun to look at...plus a new one would come with a lifetime warranty. The older model will outlast you as long as you shoot 158gr bullets - its the lighter 125gr screamers that do all the damage to the forcing cone.

I carry my 3” 65-3 from time to time.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavesYourUncle View Post
    ...Or a similar-sized revolver, on occasion?

I'm looking to add a 357 Magnum revolver to the kit, and am looking for something with potential as a trail gun, truck gun, and occasional range gun. I know the larger L-Frames and GP100's handle magnums like a boss, because I've had a couple. I'm now looking for something smaller, but that can still manage full magnum loads. I'm considering the Ruger SP101, S&W M66, or Colt King Cobra. Wondering who has experience with any of these as an occasional carry piece, and whether the low capacity (especially the 5-shot SP) is a huge concern.
    All three are excellent choices. For the duty that you have listed, I would personally want a 4-6" barrel. Full house .357 magnum loads have always "spoken" to my ear drums very loudly, and the longer barrels seem to help some. Also, I would want adjustable sights to take advantage of the potential accuracy of some of the revolvers that are available.

I've never owned a King Cobra, but wouldn't turn one down if offered one! If I were going with the King Cobra, my own personal preference would be the Target Model with 4 1/4" barrel and adjustable sights.

The S&W offerings in the K frame have been very popular over the years and also with me. I have owned several and still have a M66-1 in 4" that has served me faithfully for the duties you have described. While maybe not the preferred handgun caliber for hunting, it will serve to take coyotes, deer, mountain lion, and other game that you might come across in the woods. And, it has an admirable reputation as a man stopper with the full power loads.

I also have several other K frame .38 Specials that serve as range and home defense handguns.

The S&W M19 was of course developed by S&W, so the story goes, at the request of Bill Jordan for a .357 duty revolver that was lighter than the M27. Many have passed through my hands over the years and I have gifted two of them to my sons, as to me their were the epitome of a .357, the S&W M27 and Colt Python notwithstanding. The ones I gave my sons were both 6" pinned barrel to frame with recessed cylinders and the three "T's" - target trigger, target hammer, and target grips. While my preference is for the older models, the newly manufactured ones should work as well.

I have owned several SP101s. I was not hesitant in using them for .357 loads, although there was significant muzzle blast. As others have stated and you well know, they are limited to five shots. My favorite SP101s are those modified and customized by Gemini Customs. They do outstanding work that is very practical for use. https://www.geminicustoms.com/ruger-revolvers. For your described usage, I am in agreement with others that the Ruger Security-Six would be a revolver that I would look at instead of the SP101.

Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Moderator
    I do, I do!

Among several K-Frame Smith & Wessons that may be chosen for carry duty a 4-inch Model 10 Heavy Barrel sees the most use and has for 44 years now. I'm beginning to realize that it's gonna outlast me. I can also do .357 Magnum K-Frames, but don't often tote them as the Model 10 is so familiar to me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavesYourUncle View Post
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I checked out a 4" 686+ yesterday, and was really impressed. I'd have thought it would be way too much, but then I sometimes pack a 4506-1 IWB, so the major concern for concealment would be the width of the cylinder. Not that I'd CCW it that often, but keep it as a truck/woods piece.
    That would make a hell of a nice woods gun, with a bit of social service from time to time. As for general purpose, if I could only ever have one gun.....you might have struck it right there.
    Old Man likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Yep..a couple of em.......357 mags and 38spl's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone carry a K-Frame?-nikon-picture-video-344.jpg  

Does anyone carry a K-Frame?-img_1140.jpg  

Does anyone carry a K-Frame?-img_1139.jpg  

Does anyone carry a K-Frame?-3amigos-3.jpg  

Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Occasionally I will carry a 2 1/2 inch S&W 66 or a 3 inch S&W 65 and both are very good for concealment. For an all around gun I would go for a 4 inch. The 66 and 65 are very good in that arena along with the Ruger Police Six and Security Six. Many years ago when I first started I passed on a Ruger Security Six (not knowing anything about them) and have been kicking myself for quite sometime now. A 4 inch stainless gun should be just about right for your purpose.
    Old Man likes this.

When I backpack or hike in the woods these days, I carry a .357 Ruger Vaquero, but only because I foolishly traded away a S&W 686 that used to be my favorite hiking carry many years ago.
    Old Man likes this.

Choices! SP101 3 or 4 inch, Smith model 19 4 inch, then GP100 in 4 or 6 inch.
    I don't fell undergunned when I carry any of them.
    My choice if I only had one would GP100 in 4 inch.
    Of course, all are 357 mags.
    Old Man likes this.

I always like the 686 6" when they came out the most for what you describe. Especially if they had a Power Custom main spring replacement. I'd owned a pinned model 19 4" but traded it. I now have a 6" model 14 which has been very accurate, shooting 1 3/8 groups at 25 yards back when I shot alot. It was not the revolver I really wanted, but during a trade, it was available. The gunsmith trued the barrel to the cylinder by tapping the yoke until it aligned perfectly. The double action has always been sweet and so I've never traded it - mostly because my wife shot it better than the 3" model 36 in .38sp that I'd bought her.

If I was younger and out in the woods more like you seem to be, looking for a combination range gun and woods walker, I'd go for the 6" 686 or even the 586 and have it tuned when the funds became available. I've handled some 6" Ruger GP100s in 357 that had been tuned that were sweet also. This may not apply to everyone, but I've always been a bit more accurate with the longer barrel. Even though red ramp front sights were popular, I never cared for them. I handled a 4" model 15 I never should have let get away once that had the red plastic replaced with flo green that was interesting. Also, a stainless steel front sight will disappear on you in bright daylight.

Now, these medium sized revolvers are all a little too heavy for me for daily concealed carry, as much as I'd love to own one in 3". Instead, I've opted for an older 3" Bulldog in .44sp that is much lighter - but doesn't handle nearly as well as what you are considering.

If I make it back to the woods, I'd be quite comfortable with my 4 5/8 Ruger b'hawk in .45 Colt. It too has been worked on and has the super b'hawk hammer and is smooth as glass.
    Old Man likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links