Does anyone carry a K-Frame?

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry a K-Frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...Or a similar-sized revolver, on occasion? I'm looking to add a 357 Magnum revolver to the kit, and am looking for something with potential as ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Does anyone carry a K-Frame?

...Or a similar-sized revolver, on occasion?

I'm looking to add a 357 Magnum revolver to the kit, and am looking for something with potential as a trail gun, truck gun, and occasional range gun. I know the larger L-Frames and GP100's handle magnums like a boss, because I've had a couple. I'm now looking for something smaller, but that can still manage full magnum loads. I'm considering the Ruger SP101, S&W M66, or Colt King Cobra. Wondering who has experience with any of these as an occasional carry piece, and whether the low capacity (especially the 5-shot SP) is a huge concern.

In addition to the K-frame snubs (19, 65, etc), look for a used .357 Ruger Speed-Six (fixed sights) or Security-Six (adjustable sights) with the 2.75" barrel.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

I carry a model 60 a lot. Easy to carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carried a 4" GP100 around the place yesterday.

I’ve had two of the new 66-8, one in each length offered. Good carry guns. But I with real magnums, I need more gun.
    That said, if I find a M19 snub at a good price, I will buy it.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

SP101, GP100, 66-2 and Trooper MKIII. I don't carry them often but, when I do, I never feel "under gunned".
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    SP101, GP100, 66-2 and Trooper MKIII. I don't carry them often but, when I do, I never feel "under gunned".
    Heheh. I reckon not!
    airslot and CLASS3NH like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    I carry one in the woods on camp/fish trips.

Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    I believe the primary difference between a K and L frame is the cylinder. While I only carry my Model 19 4” in the field, I do carry a 686+ and a Model 69, both 3” or less, from time to time. The latter two of those three are L frames. The Model 69 is a 5 shot loaded with 44 Specials. I feel ok. Caliber confidence tends to steady the nerves. Sure, a 1911 would make more sense but then, it wouldn’t be shooting 44’s. And hell.....why be too serious?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I've got a 2.25" and a 3" sp101 and carry one or the other almost every day.

I roll my own ammo. shoot and carry some pretty potent 357 magnum. The sp101 handles em with no problem whatsoever.

I have no concerns with the capacity of a revolver. 5 or 6 357 magnums should take care of any problems I might encounter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone carry a K-Frame?-screenshot_20200113-175133_gallery_1578961584831.jpg  

Does anyone carry a K-Frame?-screenshot_20200113-182805_gallery_1578961704563.jpg  

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    In addition to the K-frame snubs (19, 65, etc), look for a used .357 Ruger Speed-Six (fixed sights) or Security-Six (adjustable sights) with the 2.75" barrel.

I own 2 of these, and carried one till 2018, when I up-graded to something similar, but larger. Can't go wrong with one of these!
    HotBrass45 and CLASS3NH like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I take this for a change. A little S&W 65.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

On duty I carried a 2-inch M-10/15 but off duty I preferred a 4-inch M-10/15/19 with my preference being the Model-19. Someone brought up the Ruger Six series, those too are mighty fine revolvers and built like anvils.
    flh, airslot, HotBrass45 and 5 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Smith and Wesson re-introduced their Model 19. The one I saw had a night sight, 3 inch barrel and I loved everything about except the nine hundred dollar price tag.

Last edited by zonker1986; January 14th, 2020 at 07:34 PM.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

My preferred concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python, a 4" Colt 357 Trooper, a 4.2" Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm, or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links