Hypothetical .22

Hypothetical .22

This is a discussion on Hypothetical .22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without 'pooh-pooh'ing' the idea (I've heard it all before), what .22 (semi or revolver) would you pick as your EDC? I'm thinking the Walther PPK/S ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Hypothetical .22

Hypothetical .22

Without 'pooh-pooh'ing' the idea (I've heard it all before), what .22 (semi or revolver) would you pick as your EDC? I'm thinking the Walther PPK/S would be a good bet. Also not interested in 'plastic' guns.
    ParsonBrown and Old Man like this.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

Sometimes the only way to get an intelligent conversation is to talk to yourself..........Me

My Mother carries the Ruger snub 8 shot. She likes it, I like it too itís a nice gun.

That being said, I totally cannot drop this without getting to Pooh-Pooh 😆

ďA .22 is too dang DINKY! All your going to do is make somebody mad if you shoot them with a .22! Unless your too old to handle it get a real gun for edc!!! Iím a small woman and edc a .45Ē

😉
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve never had a .22 semi auto that was reliable enough for defensive use, including my recently acquired TX22. Itís not necessarily the guns, itís the nature of the ammo.

IF you can deal with the heavier trigger, a revolver is the way to go in 22 for defensive use.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I already occasionally carry my Ruger SR22 and also my Taurus TX22 along with my S&W 43c sometimes. If my Ruger LCPII 22 were as reliable as those two I'd carry it too.
    Old Man likes this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

LCR if I had to pick just one I think. Maybe an LCP II 22, if it turns out to be reliable.
    Texron likes this.

I'll play along. You specified .22. lr? short? TCM? Out of the 3, the RI 1911 in 22 TCM. If LR, I agree with the option of the Walther. I dont think a 22 short would reliably cycle in that, however, so a 22 short would need to be a revolver. And for that, since we are talking cc, the s&w model 63, or ruger lcr should fit the bill.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Iíve never had a .22 semi auto that was reliable enough for defensive use, including my recently acquired TX22. Itís not necessarily the guns, itís the nature of the ammo.

IF you can deal with the heavier trigger, a revolver is the way to go in 22 for defensive use.
    This x2. I had a chance to shoot the Walther P22 a few weeks ago. A lot of fun as a plinker, but not reliable at all and it was all about the ammo. My dad has the LCR .22 and it is ok...just OK.

I don't want to get shot with a .22. Shoot, I don't like giving blood or getting shots. If I had to choose one it would be the NAA .22 LR mini revolver, but it would be for novelty and not carry.

If I absolutely positively had to carry a .22 it would be either be my Ruger MK-2 of the Sig 1911-22 since I have both.
    Risasi and airslot like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    Without 'pooh-pooh'ing' the idea (I've heard it all before), what .22 (semi or revolver) would you pick as your EDC? I'm thinking the Walther PPK/S would be a good bet. Also not interested in 'plastic' guns.
    - Reliability, shot placement and penetration are the big three that matter if you're thinking .22 lr...22 Mag is a different animal and also worth consideration.

- Barrel length also really matters. I would try to avoid anything less than 3-4" in barrel length.

- Only carry the best ammo. Velocitors. Mini-mags, Stingers and Aguila Supermax a distant second. And everything else trails even further.

- Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting multiple times. You would likely need minimum 2-3 hits to stop a threat.

- And finally .22 had the second highest failure to stop in Greg Ellifritz's study; But if you're okay with the potential failure to stop, well it's your life.

Personally I prefer 357 Mag or 9mm for my carry guns, but I would not feel that under gunned if I only had a pocket .22 that was reliable and it held at least eight rounds with a fast reload.

How about a Sig 938 in 22?

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p938-...o-compact.html

Belt-fed... maybe.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    If I were going to carry a 22 it would have to be a revolver.
    10thmtn, Texron, ETXhiker and 5 others like this.

My uncle joined me at the range recently, with his new PPK/S in .22. He bought it because it was nice looking, and maybe as a starter gun for his wife.

Well, the DA trigger pull was very very heavy. He had a few jams, including an extraction failure that needed a cleaning rod to resolve.

Like I said, if you can pull the trigger, Iíd stick with a revolver in .22 for serious use.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

The ppk/s 22lr I used I loved ...But imop like other said just due to the nature of 22lr rounds I would want a wheel gun ..Got a bad round or primer that wont hit just keep pulling the trigger
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would recommend the Ruger LCR. It holds 8 rounds. Mine has been completely reliable and is fun to shoot.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links