Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it? - Page 2

Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it?

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Macantic I had a tomcat .32 several years ago until that chisel looking slide took a chunk outta my hand. I have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    I had a tomcat .32 several years ago until that chisel looking slide took a chunk outta my hand.
    I have heard that happens to some people.. Do you have big hands?.. That would probably end it for me as well... bob

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Understood..
    My range time is paid for.. Unlimited access during daylight hours year long for $60 membership fee for each of of us. Never anyone around most week days too.. Its fine if you don't mind range shooting in the snow and 15 degree temps! Ammo, we are pretty good with as well.. We buy bulk lots several times a year.

Problem for me is I LIKE shooting the .32 acp round much more than say 9mm.. I can handle the 9mm but, typically, the guns that are chambered in 9mm are larger and/or heavier than I like to carry.. i LIKE to carry the tiny guns, and prefer shooting them, but my accuracy with them sucks. As I age, I am finding that I am becoming somewhat more recoil sensitive.. Not bad yet, but still a lot more sensitive than say 2-3 years ago.
    My wife and i have discussed it, and I think I might be happiest with a P238.. Smaller and lighter than my 938, and I shoot it just as well, and we have multiple thousands of rounds of .380..
    Plus I already am very familiar with the layout.. Also as can be seen in some of my replies here, I seem to shoot a SA trigger a lot better than a DA, so thats also a consideration.
    I will most likely keep the P32, as trade in value is nil, and add a P238, while dumping the NAA in on a trade.. Such a cool, and beautifully made little revolver, but a PITA to load and unload, and I can't hit anything with it unless i am 3 feet away.. It was an impulse buy, and bad one at that... bob
    I would take a P-238 any day of the week over the Tomcat! The P-238 is a very soft shooting .380 and very compact as well. Good luck!
    Paladin3840 and drmordo like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I would take a P-238 any day of the week over the Tomcat! The P-238 is a very soft shooting .380 and very compact as well. Good luck!
    Yes, you are correct, and thats where I have been heading since I first posted this.. I really love my new bobcat, and was thinking the .32 acp Tomcat would be a nice accurate extension of that...
    Then I started thinking about how much I really like my wife's p238.. Around the same size as the Tomcat, more punch, and a platform I am very familiar with and shoot pretty well[For me].

The p238 is just a pricey little SOB.. $200-250 more than the Tomcat and even more if you want one with a little bling.

The fact is though, that you correctly stated, the P238 just makes more sense.. IF I bought the tomcat and shot it poorly for whatever reason, I would want to commit Hari Kari...

bob
    5lima30ret likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have heard that happens to some people.. Do you have big hands?.. That would probably end it for me as well... bob
    no,i'm a little dude with little hands.I was quick drawing from my pocket and didn't have the proper grip on it. that's when i switched to my Kel-Tec P3AT and haven't had any problems with it yet.
    5lima30ret and ETXhiker like this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

My son and I got our carry licenses around the same time. The following week we attended a gun show where we each bought Beretta Tomcats for carry. My gun ran like a clock; his was a jammomatic. His gun couldn’t make through a single mag without a stoppage. Eventually we both got rid of them.........but I must admit I do have a fascination with the Bobcat .22.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I love the little critters.

If you really want to have fun with it, get a threaded barrel and put a can on it.
    OP is in NY...a can would land him in jail for a long time.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

New Member Array Gottasmilealot's Avatar
    The tomcat works well in ankle carry shooting Lehigh Defense extreme cavitators, but is too fat for front pocket pants carry, but works well in coat pocket carry. Dependable and easy to field strip. The P32 is flatter for good pocket carry, but I find it not as dependable due to ammo occasional rim lock.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    The p238 is just a pricey little SOB.. $200-250 more than the Tomcat and even more if you want one with a little bling.
    I have been seeing the P238 for <$400 lately.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer....html?___SID=U

Quote Originally Posted by Gottasmilealot View Post
    The tomcat works well in ankle carry shooting Lehigh Defense extreme cavitators, but is too fat for front pocket pants carry, but works well in coat pocket carry. Dependable and easy to field strip. The P32 is flatter for good pocket carry, but I find it not as dependable due to ammo occasional rim lock.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    My P32 has been 100% reliable.. I use GECO ammo in it, and have never had a single failure of any type, never had rimlock with that ammo either... problem is i can't shoot it very well at all..

I love the idea of the tomcat, but after reading through this thread and rethinking a bit, it makes more sense for me to get a P238 for EDC.. A little smaller and lighter than my 938, somewhat less recoil, same dependability and accuracy.. I will keep the little KelTec , I do like it, and won't get much on trade. The P238 is a known quantity that I am very familiar with, and although a little more expensive, is a better choice for me than the tomcat ... bob

have had a Tomcat for over 20 years. Just can't figure out where it's place really belongs. Too fat to pocket carry, too heavy compared to other guns today and chambered in a caliber that wouldn't stop a drunken skunk at five yards.

Better options.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post

whoa.... I'm all over that... Thanks for the link!... bob
    drmordo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    have had a Tomcat for over 20 years. Just can't figure out where it's place really belongs. Too fat to pocket carry, too heavy compared to other guns today and chambered in a caliber that wouldn't stop a drunken skunk at five yards.

Better options.
    Ankle carry with Lehigh Defense Extreme Cavaitator ammo. Meets FBI spec.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post

Had a P238, but sold it for the Springfield 911 in .380. Virtually identical, but the 911 magazines are half the price. They can share the same holsters.
    drmordo and 5lima30ret like this.

I had a Tomcat and it ended up with a cracked frame from shooting it had to send it back on my dime and it cost me 120 bucks to have it fixed when I picked up the new one
    I sold it that day, Beretta does not stand behind they gun!!!

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottasmilealot View Post
    Had a P238, but sold it for the Springfield 911 in .380. Virtually identical, but the 911 magazines are half the price. They can share the same holsters.
    Colt Mustang mags work with the P238 and are cheaper.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links