Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it?

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought the little brother to the Tomcat, a 21 A Bobcat Inox in .22LR.. just a wonderful gun, with a VERY neat design.. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Beretta Tomcat .32 acp... Anyone familiar with it?

I recently bought the little brother to the Tomcat, a 21 A Bobcat Inox in .22LR.. just a wonderful gun, with a VERY neat design..
    the tilt up barrel is just so cool.. Pistol breaks down for cleaning in 3 seconds.. Hit the barrel tilt lever, and click the slide off,, Done!

Scary accurate too for such a small pistol.. I am a lousy shot with any pistol, but I am as accurate with the little Beretta as I am with my SR 22 , or my Sig P938 or M&P 9mm..

Anyway, I was at the range the other day shooting my little keltec P32, and I just got disgusted with my total inability to hit anything with it..
    I was totally missing a big 12 inch round target from 6-7 feet away.. Not even touching it.. Then I started shooting my bobcat at 30 feet and hitting every shot, with some almost decent groups.
    I had the same issue with my ruger LCP II.. Could not hit anything with it.. Yet when I pick up my wife's Sig P238, my own P938, and now the little Bobcat, there's NO problem.. Looks like tiny polymer guns are NOT what I shoot well for reasons I cannot fathom.. The Keltec has the same barrel length as the Bobcat.. Anyway, I am ready to ditch the little Keltec, but DO like the .32 ACP round in a pocket gun.. I know its not a bear stopper, but I like it at the range, just easier to shoot and practice with.. Been considering the Beretta Tomcat to replace the KelTec, and thought maybe a few members here have owned or at least fired one, and could let me know what they think... bob
    ETXhiker and 5lima30ret like this.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    I have all 3 berettas .22, .25 and .32. They are fun to shoot and for a pocket gun have a unique feel to them. I have a P32 and do pretty well with it shooting center mass. The tomcat is a better shooter because itís all metal and much heavier than the plastic keltec.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    I have all 3 berettas .22, .25 and .32. They are fun to shoot and for a pocket gun have a unique feel to them. I have a P32 and do pretty well with it shooting center mass. The tomcat is a better shooter because itís all metal and much heavier than the plastic keltec.
    Yeah, my Bobcat was surprisingly accurate for such a small gun.. I REALLY like the Keltec a lot, tiny, light, great shooter, reliable, never a failure with any ammo, but I simply can't shoot it straight at all.. missing 12 inch targets at less than 8 or so feet ??. Insane. Same thing with my LCP Custom, LCP II , LCR.22 and NAA mini.. Missing targets at 3 yards,, and I ditched them all one by one for guns that were more accurate in my hands.. Some guns I just cannot shoot I guess.. Based on my much better accuracy with the little Bobcat , I have been thinking the Tomcat might be a better carry .32 for me than the little Keltec... Do you shoot your tilt barrel Berettas with better accuracy than tiny polymer pocket guns?... have you ever compared? bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I am not a shooter, but had a P32 and wish I never sold it, have a Gen 2 LCP still and with both can shoot in a 12" circle at 21 ft at least with all in a bad area for the target.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I really love Berettas, but the Tomcat is problematic for me.

It's a fat gun for pocket carry. That said, I haven't fondled one in years and I pocket carry revolvers sometimes so maybe my standards have changed since I last held one.

It's surprisingly expensive.

It has a reputation for breaking slides. I'm no expert but a bit of google led me to this issue. I would do a lot of research before I bought one.

Note that you can get a Model 81 from Classic Firearms for $200. The M81 is over-engineered for 32 ACP, and can't be pocket carried, but is a lot of fun! I will almost certainly start reloading 32 ACP due to owning a M81.
    5lima30ret likes this.

@beebee - I think you are looking for a hardware solution to a software problem. I mean, from 6 feet away, you can throw bullets into a 12 inch circle!

Have you ever had professional instruction in handgun shooting? That might be a better investment than a new gun.

Good luck!
    Struckat and Paladin3840 like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

My Tomcat 32 frame broke. Beretta replaced it but, I had to pay some money. They told me the gun wasnít designed for a lot of shooting. I sold the new replacement to a guy who never shoots. They may have made a change by now 🤷*♂️
    Goldy49 likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

There was a point in my life when I needed deep cover. My wife felt for me trying to do that with my then current CCW and bought me a Barretta Tomcat. For the size and considering the small sights, I found it extremely accurate. I cannot remember any malfunctions from the Gun. After the need for deep cover passed, I just could not see continued use of it as a primary. I have since carried it in pocket as a BUG sometimes , but mostly just carry a spare mag now. I would recommend only using FMJ rounds for defense with this caliber. But for minimal reduction in round count would suggest considering a small, light weight j frame in.38 special for pocket carry.
    Haywood likes this.

Lead Moderator
    I love the little critters.

If you really want to have fun with it, get a threaded barrel and put a can on it.
    Struckat and Rock and Glock like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    @beebee - I think you are looking for a hardware solution to a software problem. I mean, from 6 feet away, you can throw bullets into a 12 inch circle!

Have you ever had professional instruction in handgun shooting? That might be a better investment than a new gun.

Good luck!
    Been shooting for many years. I had training years ago when I first started. These days, I hit the range as often as I can . Never ever been a good shot but I can do consistent mag dumps into a 6 inch circle at 10 yards with these guns- Sig P938- Ruger 22/45-Ruger SR 22- M&P Shield 9mm- M&P Shield EZ-Sig P238- Beretta 21 A Bobcat.. Ruger Wrangler .22 revolver.

With these pistols I can hardly hit a 12 inch target at say 5-7 yards--Any Ruger LCP model- Ruger LCR .22- Keltec P32 - NAA mini .22LR/22WMR..

Small polymer guns and that little LCR were always awful for me.. I could not hit a target at 10 feet with them with any consistency.. The NAA forget it, For me its useless, I'm trading it in..

Size matters it seems. The 22/45, I always get good groups . Not great 1/2-1 inch like a real shooter, but on a good day maybe 2- 3 inches at 10 yards.. Same with most of the other guns I listed in the first group...

I am far sighted.. Vision is 20-25 in both eyes at distance, but when sighting a pistol, I see a blur when trying to line the sights up.

If I put my $1.00 readers on, the sights on the gun are crystal clear, but I am now looking at a soft blur down range at the target.. Very frustrating..

I saw an eye doctor about it last week , and they prescribed glasses, that they might might sharpen my distance vision and my near vision just a little bit.. or not...

I have distorted vision in my dominant eye.. The focus is clear, but a square box looks like a rectangle with my right eye.. Everything is compressed laterally.. a circle looks more oval in the right eye..

Its called -"serous retinal pigment epithelial detachment".. It was caused they think by steroids I took for back problems..

Not severe, not life altering, and I see well, but its not perfect visual acuity.. Might be why i can't seem to get it right with short barrels..

At this point at 65 years old, I just want to maximize my accuracy with the guns I carry, balancing my eyesight distortion with guns I can shoot better. The LCP.P32 style guns are just awful for me, yet with other weapons a full mag into center mass, or even head target is usually doable, with a few flyers .. WHY I can shoot the bobcat SO much better than the P32 is beyond me. the Bobcat barrel is actually 1/5 inch shorter...

I was hoping the design of the gun would carry over and i would be able to shoot a Tomcat as accurately as the Bobcat.
    . Sorry for the long winded explanation, but there was no way a simple yes or no answer would suffice.. Practice helps any shooter of course, but I really do get a lot of range time in, mostly alone.. Lots of time to work things out with no distraction, and I still can't shoot certain handguns well at all, even after lots of practice yet other guns, no real problem,,
    I have steady hands, but seem to have sighting issues that are helped out by certain guns, and made worse by others... bob
    ETXhiker likes this.

@beebee - Thanks for the additional information.

Have you tried point shooting the smaller guns, ignoring the sights? I find Iím more accurate just point shooting my NAA Mini than trying to use the sights.

With the vision issues you described, might you want to consider a green laser? It is visible even in daylight, and allows you to focus on the target, not the tiny sights on those guns. Just be sure to check the laserís zero every week or so.

Are you a candidate for laser eye corrective surgery?

Just some suggestions to consider. Carrying in an anti gun state like NY brings challenges most people donít consider, so carrying a larger sidearm isnít always practical.

Good luck, hope youíre able to work it out.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Tiny guns take a lot of practice.
    I nearly gave up on little guns, but then one day I got back to basics and magically found accuracy. I hear some of my own word in your posts.
    Also has a lot to do with how the gun fits you. Not much size but shape.

The bottom line is you are doing something different with the tiny ones than you are doing with the ones you shoot well.
    Took me along time to realize this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Stick with what you shoot best...and is reliable! You already have some great options that you apparently shoot well (P-938 & M&P) so roll with them and put the saved money into ammo and more range time! Good luck!
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Stick with what you shoot best...and is reliable! You already have some great options that you apparently shoot well (P-938 & M&P) so roll with them and put the saved money into ammo and more range time! Good luck!

Understood..
    My range time is paid for.. Unlimited access during daylight hours year long for $60 membership fee for each of of us. Never anyone around most week days too.. Its fine if you don't mind range shooting in the snow and 15 degree temps! Ammo, we are pretty good with as well.. We buy bulk lots several times a year.

Problem for me is I LIKE shooting the .32 acp round much more than say 9mm.. I can handle the 9mm but, typically, the guns that are chambered in 9mm are larger and/or heavier than I like to carry.. i LIKE to carry the tiny guns, and prefer shooting them, but my accuracy with them sucks. As I age, I am finding that I am becoming somewhat more recoil sensitive.. Not bad yet, but still a lot more sensitive than say 2-3 years ago.
    My wife and i have discussed it, and I think I might be happiest with a P238.. Smaller and lighter than my 938, and I shoot it just as well, and we have multiple thousands of rounds of .380..
    Plus I already am very familiar with the layout.. Also as can be seen in some of my replies here, I seem to shoot a SA trigger a lot better than a DA, so thats also a consideration.
    I will most likely keep the P32, as trade in value is nil, and add a P238, while dumping the NAA in on a trade.. Such a cool, and beautifully made little revolver, but a PITA to load and unload, and I can't hit anything with it unless i am 3 feet away.. It was an impulse buy, and bad one at that... bob
    ETXhiker and 5lima30ret like this.

I had a tomcat .32 several years ago until that chisel looking slide took a chunk outta my hand.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links