Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems - Page 2

Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems

This is a discussion on Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 43X in a Vedder Lightuck holster. If uncomfortable with a glock AIWB simple solution is to remove the holster after pistol is drawn and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Glock 43X in a Vedder Lightuck holster. If uncomfortable with a glock AIWB simple solution is to remove the holster after pistol is drawn and holster pistol then as a unit AIWB. Super slim package very reasonable weight 10+1 rounds, I like it so much my CZ PCR has been doing nightstand duty lately instead of EDC.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Glock 43X in a Vedder Lightuck holster. If uncomfortable with a glock AIWB simple solution is to remove the holster after pistol is drawn and holster pistol then as a unit AIWB.
    Re: removing the holster: This always sounds good when written out but you have to think about situations beyond administrative handling where this is not an ideal means to go about holstering the firearm.

As mentioned above the Tau Development Group Striker Control Device (Gadget) IMHO is a must for carrying a Glock regardless of where the holster is.

R&G, If you're up to new guns, a hammer fired poly offering like a PX4 is a great AIWB gun as you can thumb-cap the hammer while reholstering (the SCD allows one to thumb-cap a Glock in similar fashion)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just one word: Suspenders.

Thought I was gonna say "Plastics," didn't you! Well, there's that, too...

I know that suspenders, especially with a belt, is a really-old-man's apparatus.
    Well, I'm a really old man, and I gotta tell you: It works!

And it works best with a much lighter pistol.
    Get rid of the early-20th-century wrought iron, and get something new and mostly plastic. (I'm sure that you've already done that.)

And if you don't like the idea of suspenders, get braces instead.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Re: removing the holster: This always sounds good when written out but you have to think about situations beyond administrative handling where this is not an ideal means to go about holstering the firearm.

As mentioned above the Tau Development Group Striker Control Device (Gadget) IMHO is a must for carrying a Glock regardless of where the holster is.

R&G, If you're up to new guns, a hammer fired poly offering like a PX4 is a great AIWB gun as you can thumb-cap the hammer while reholstering (the SCD allows one to thumb-cap a Glock in similar fashion)

Agreed the Gadget is a must.
    Mjolnir and Rock and Glock like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

How about trying the Glock 26 or 36 (mentioned in OP) AIWB. ?
    Revolvers don't cut it for me.
    Rock and Glock and ETXhiker like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

You could try a Gunfighters, Inc Kenai chest holster or Quicklock Holsters Susitna chest holster that distributes weight Across the shoulders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Iíve typically carried full size pistols or compacts, from a G17 to a G26, a G36, and a Stainless Steel Colt Government 1911. Almost always with an OWB DEFCON by Brommeland.

So, due to back pain I am now in PT, and have been carrying a Ruger LCR AIWB to keep pressure and weight off of my hips, waist and back.

The LCR Is nice and light, in 38 Special, but thereís a slight problem.

It is my wifeís.

So.....thoughts on my predicament? Look at small revolvers? That could be fun! Maybe a snubby? If so, I like 357 since I can run 38 or 38 +P.

Not keen on a new automatic unless a Glock or a 1911, but not keen on little 1911ís as I am more inclined to stick with JMBís original.

I donít want to spend a lot, or learn a new gun or manual of arms.

So.....

What do you think?
    This rig is as painless as it gets for AIWB carry. The holster shown is an old Galco Scout. I've used it for years but Galco still has it at something under $100. The gun of course is a S&W 442.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems-100_1632.jpg  

Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems-100_1634.jpg  

Hawthorne

If the wifeís LCR is working for you, then you can just get another one in whatever caliber you like.
    jejb, G-man*, AnthonyC and 3 others like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Iíve typically carried full size pistols or compacts, from a G17 to a G26, a G36, and a Stainless Steel Colt Government 1911. Almost always with an OWB DEFCON by Brommeland.

So, due to back pain I am now in PT, and have been carrying a Ruger LCR AIWB to keep pressure and weight off of my hips, waist and back.

The LCR Is nice and light, in 38 Special, but thereís a slight problem.

It is my wifeís.

So.....thoughts on my predicament? Look at small revolvers? That could be fun! Maybe a snubby? If so, I like 357 since I can run 38 or 38 +P.

Not keen on a new automatic unless a Glock or a 1911, but not keen on little 1911ís as I am more inclined to stick with JMBís original.

I donít want to spend a lot, or learn a new gun or manual of arms.

So.....

What do you think?
    Glock Models 43X or 48.

I would add a ďGadgetĒ or Striker Control Device, sights to your taste, a good holster - Tenicor - and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some days the back just says no! Since I carry lightweight J-Frames all the time Iíll just carry one in or on the waist or in my pocket. Most days itís good enough to do both. Itís all the other gear I add that starts trouble. The 442s are my choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considerations for AIWB and Back Problems-c5607fdc-1a19-4998-b42a-d49b337bd65e.jpeg  

Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Oh...Whoops! For now carrying a vintage S&W "J" in a SPARKS prototype pocket holster.
    It's a phenomenal piece of "one of" custom leather work!
    No..you cannot buy the exact same one but, Sparks does have great pocket rigs to choose from.
    I'd like to see a pic of this "one of one" Sparks pocket holster, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
    Struckat and Rock and Glock like this.
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    ...So, due to back pain I am now in PT, and have been carrying a Ruger LCR AIWB to keep pressure and weight off of my hips, waist and back...

What do you think?
    Just my $0.02. The S&W 60-10 is an example of a 3" J-frame, all stainless, that really handles .38 Spl. +P+ very well. It is not enjoyable to shoot with .357 Mag ammo.

Just about any vertical cant IWB holster would work for forward of the hip carry.

I know you said you didn't want to spend a lot of money. A 3" J-frame .357 will cost something over $500. Here's a current listing:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852313322

You could always sell one of your GLOCKs to offset the investment in a S&W...
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

I used to carry at 4 o'clock up until about 2 years ago. I have the same issue that you do and found AIWB was much more comfortable. With the right gear (holster, belt and pants) you should have no issue comfortably carrying even a Govt model 1911. I narrowed my carry down quite a bit, but this time last year I was carrying a full sized Beretta (M9A3) AIWB, and it was comfortable due to the gear that I used. I spend a lot of time driving or sitting at a desk, and the smallest that I will generally carry is an M&P 2.0 Compact with a full sized slide. I will even carry my G17 from time to time and it's always been comfortable. All that you mentioned all work well for AIWB with the right gear, and it will conceal well. Not that I would ever talk someone out of a new firearm, but if you are looking for a "reason", look into the G43x/48 series. They are small, lightweight, and with a Sheild Mag, you can have it with 15+1.
    Rock and Glock and Tstone like this.
    M&P 2.0 Compact w/ 4.25" slide
    M&P Shield 9mm
    S&W 6906

Senior Moderator
    Update:

I have found my wife's LCR in 38 great at AIWB great in an inexpensive Don Hume clip on. I've worn this a bit now, and am becoming comfortable with it given my activity level. Of course, therapy is changing a lot that I do and how I do it, and is giving me some relief.

More later!
    JD, ETXhiker, matthew03 and 2 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You should get a 4" 1911 and a Good leather AIWB rig from Desibens Gunleather.

There's a very slim margin of error for Glocks and AIWB and I don't recommend them for those new to AIWB.

PHLSTR makes a really nice AIWB rig for LCRs and J-Frames, the City Special.

Dark Star Gear has the....Apollo?

TT gunleather does a nice leather AIWB. I use one for my Wilson/Beretta, go to meeting gun.
    JD likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links