Detailed Disassemby and Inspection of a Used 3rd Gen S&W

This is a discussion on Detailed Disassemby and Inspection of a Used 3rd Gen S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's one for anyone who might find it helpful. Howard...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By hrfunk
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By hrfunk
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: Detailed Disassemby and Inspection of a Used 3rd Gen S&W

Here's one for anyone who might find it helpful.

Howard

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    A very useful video, Howard. Thanks for posting. Now I know who to come to if I mess up something with my 3913 :)
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Great video! I own both a 6906 and 4566. I have detailed stripped the 6906 slide but concerns about damaging the side plate have prevented further disassembly due to the nonavailability of that part. My 4566 is a decock-only version, and I haven't found a good source of info on breaking that version down. I really wish my 6906 was decock only also as I like that feature.

One thing you might have pointed out is the trigger play spring, which, on the 45XX models at least, is a common fail item, causing a distinct "click" in when pulling the trigger in SA mode. While it does not affect function, it is very annoying. I had mine replaced by S&W a few years back, but I don't know if they will still work on them today.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Great video! I own both a 6906 and 4566. I have detailed stripped the 6906 slide but concerns about damaging the side plate have prevented further disassembly due to the nonavailability of that part. My 4566 is a decock-only version, and I haven't found a good source of info on breaking that version down. I really wish my 6906 was decock only also as I like that feature.

One thing you might have pointed out is the trigger play spring, which, on the 45XX models at least, is a common fail item, causing a distinct "click" in when pulling the trigger in SA mode. While it does not affect function, it is very annoying. I had mine replaced by S&W a few years back, but I don't know if they will still work on them today.
    Thanks guys! I have a few parts, including a side plate, but if you don't feel comfortable removing it, then you're wise to err on the side of caution. The trigger play spring is an easy part to replace. If I have the need to do so, I will probably make a follow-up video covering that. As far as the "click" goes, that's an even easier fix and it doesn't even require dissembling the pistol! Let me know if you ever have that problem again.

Howard

Here's a quick follow-up.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    A very useful video, Howard. Thanks for posting. Now I know who to come to if I mess up something with my 3913 :)
    Replace the recoil spring and the magazine springs in that 3913 every 5000 rounds or so and it will probably out both of us! I had a 3914 once. Like a dummy, I traded it on something else. I should have kept that thing because I always shot it very well.

Howard

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Another great pair of vids, Howard.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Replace the recoil spring and the magazine springs in that 3913 every 5000 rounds or so and it will probably out both of us! I had a 3914 once. Like a dummy, I traded it on something else. I should have kept that thing because I always shot it very well.

Howard
    That's a very good idea. I should do it now, while the parts are still available.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Nice. I Had a very used 39-2(1st gen) and gifted it to my godson(nephew). Was a most excellent shooter even to this day. I had a 6906 mint, that was sold & traded for another pistol , and to help fund a S&W M&P .357SIG compact. Still have a used 6904 in fair shape that still shoots like its supposed to. For those interested I came across this , to clarify the mystifying aspects of S&W's generation identification. Very confusing and very enlightening, all at the same time. Just shows me how big S&W was back in the hey day. https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/g...omatic-models/
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans
    Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I don't know how to be violent

M&Pc .357SIG, 2340Sigpro .357SIG

Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Thanks guys! I have a few parts, including a side plate, but if you don't feel comfortable removing it, then you're wise to err on the side of caution. The trigger play spring is an easy part to replace. If I have the need to do so, I will probably make a follow-up video covering that. As far as the "click" goes, that's an even easier fix and it doesn't even require dissembling the pistol! Let me know if you ever have that problem again.

Howard
    Easy if one is willing to disassemble the frame guts, which I wasn't. I tried the recommended "fix" of bending the spring back into position, but my thought is if it has weakened enough to bend out of position, it has weakened enough to fail again, which mine did after a few mags were fired. It finally cracked at the base, thus the need for replacement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links