My dream pocket gun. Springfield, are you listening?

This is a discussion on My dream pocket gun. Springfield, are you listening? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so my interest in a smaller gun for pocket carry has given me an inspiration. I don't want to carry a .380 (no caliber ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: My dream pocket gun. Springfield, are you listening?

VIP Member

Okay, so my interest in a smaller gun for pocket carry has given me an inspiration. I don't want to carry a .380 (no caliber wars, please), and even most subcompact 9mm pistols seem a bit large for the pocket.

Sadly, since no one seems to make the exact pocket gun I'm looking for, I decided to do a mock-up.

Here's my idea, as compared to an XDS 45.

Here are the specs I have in mind:

About 3.8 inches in HEIGHT (since it's usually the grip and not the barrel that hinders concealability).

Well under six inches in LENGTH.

About 0.90 inches in WIDTH.

Here's the part that will cause a little "controversy." I'm a big boy. I can handle it.

To accomplish this size, capacity is to be 4+1. Yes, you read that right. I know we seem to be in a capacity war these days where every manufacturer is trying to increase the capacity of their guns, even the ones meant for concealment. But the laws of physics don't change; the 45 caliber round is the size it is. Period. Many people will carry well under their preferred caliber for the sake of concealment.

This would give you five rounds of 45 ACP (with one in the pipe, of course). But..... it could also have a 7-round (or larger) mag as a spare, since magazines are much easier to conceal than a gun. In short, with the 7-round spare mag you have 12 rounds of .45 caliber firepower at your disposal, and all in a package that's smaller than most of the popular "pocket" guns.

I believe this would sell like hotcakes.

Some people carry a derringer that offers a whopping TWO shots and has the drawback of NO trigger guard. No, thanks. Others may carry some monstrosity of a firearm from a maker you never even heard of, again, all for the sake of ultra concealment.

Springfield could call it the "XTP" for "Extra Tiny Pistol." Or maybe the "XDP" with the "P" being for "Pocket." Some of you may call it the "RBI" for "Really Bad Idea." Your choice.

But I would totally LOVE to have this exact pistol with these specs.
    OakBluff likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

A .45 with a 1 1/2 finger grip? Don’t think so. Yikes.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Distinguished Member
    I tested a Beretta Nano,which is a 9mm. 1 1/2 fingers on the grip was not good. And a .45 that small? Nope. I can carry my Shield AIWB easier than slipping a snubby in my pocket.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nope, negative, unh-uh!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Can’t happen.

XD’s are made in Croatia, and likely that pistol wouldn't have enough “points” to be importable.
    MMinSC likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Okay, so my interest in a smaller gun for pocket carry has given me an inspiration. I don't want to carry a .380 (no caliber wars, please), and even most subcompact 9mm pistols seem a bit large for the pocket.

Sadly, since no one seems to make the exact pocket gun I'm looking for, I decided to do a mock-up.

Here's my idea, as compared to an XDS 45.

Here are the specs I have in mind:

About 3.8 inches in HEIGHT (since it's usually the grip and not the barrel that hinders concealability).

Well under six inches in LENGTH.

About 0.90 inches in WIDTH.

Here's the part that will cause a little "controversy." I'm a big boy. I can handle it.

To accomplish this size, capacity is to be 4+1. Yes, you read that right. I know we seem to be in a capacity war these days where every manufacturer is trying to increase the capacity of their guns, even the ones meant for concealment. But the laws of physics don't change; the 45 caliber round is the size it is. Period. Many people will carry well under their preferred caliber for the sake of concealment.

This would give you five rounds of 45 ACP (with one in the pipe, of course). But..... it could also have a 7-round (or larger) mag as a spare, since magazines are much easier to conceal than a gun. In short, with the 7-round spare mag you have 12 rounds of .45 caliber firepower at your disposal, and all in a package that's smaller than most of the popular "pocket" guns.

I believe this would sell like hotcakes.

Some people carry a derringer that offers a whopping TWO shots and has the drawback of NO trigger guard. No, thanks. Others may carry some monstrosity of a firearm from a maker you never even heard of, again, all for the sake of ultra concealment.

Springfield could call it the "XTP" for "Extra Tiny Pistol." Or maybe the "XDP" with the "P" being for "Pocket." Some of you may call it the "RBI" for "Really Bad Idea." Your choice.

But I would totally LOVE to have this exact pistol with these specs.
    4+1? Find a snubby revolver.

That's an idea, but I suspect the very short barrel (and recoil spring) would cause big problems.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

VIP Member
    Man, you guys are party poopers!

But seriously, I do dream of a tiny pistol with some real power. Keep in mind that this is not a "fun day at the range" gun by ANY means. No, it's a last-ditch, save your life, "Get Sasquatch off me" gun. If you were in a dire situation and the adrenaline is flowing hard, you're panicked, and your very life is on the line, what would you rather have? This, or an LCP .380? Be honest.

I'm not being argumentative at all. Each one of you has valid points and concerns. I'm really just thinking out loud.

-miklcolt45

VIP Member

But seriously, I do dream of a tiny pistol with some real power. Keep in mind that this is not a "fun day at the range" gun by ANY means. No, it's a last-ditch, save your life, "Get Sasquatch off me" gun. If you were in a dire situation and the adrenaline is flowing hard, you're panicked, and your very life is on the line, what would you rather have? This, or an LCP .380? Be honest.

I'm not being argumentative at all. Each one of you has valid points and concerns. I'm really just thinking out loud.
    Sure, I get it. But for a last-ditch, save your life gun....I think a stout caliber revolver would be better....IMHO....
    SpringerXD, bill35738 and Risasi like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post

Sure, I get it. But for a last-ditch, save your life gun....I think a stout caliber revolver would be better....IMHO....
    I can see that, and I personally think that revolvers are more reliable anyway. But.... concealability would definitely take a hit.
    Rockymonster likes this.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post

Agreed. I pocket carried a couple different handguns a couple years back to see if I could get along with it. One was an LCP the other was a 642. I hated the LCP. Never could get it to not print and the draw was clumsy at best. The 642 was way easier to conceal in a better caliber, imo. And I could draw and fire much quicker & more accurately.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    A .45 with a 1 1/2 finger grip? Don’t think so. Yikes.
    I agree, not even a 9 with a grip that short. Even my Sig P938 had a longer grip than that. I don't pocket carry but if I did the P938 would work except maybe for the weight.
    Wavygravy and Rockymonster like this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Why not get a hellcat?

4 inches tall, 6 inches long and 1 inch wide. You get 11+1 rounds of 9mm. Pop in an extended mag and you get 13+1 rounds.

Distinguished Member
    Call me old fashioned, but I think there are many sound reasons for basic design common sense -- the smaller (and lighter) the pistol, the smaller the caliber. I'm also not really into the "more capacity in a smaller package" craze.
    A .45 that small? No, thanks.
    franco45 and forester58 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

You could always get a Doubletap .45...two shots only, but it is one compact package.

Just carry two.

DoubleTap Defense - Creators of DoubleTap?
    G-man*, Bad Bob and Rockymonster like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links