EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks. - Page 2

EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.

This is a discussion on EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bad Bob It is like the 1911's short fat friend. Your a great gun seller Bad Bob lol, I hate skinny guns ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    It is like the 1911's short fat friend.

Your a great gun seller Bad Bob lol, I hate skinny guns - a short fat 1911 sounds like what Iím in the market for! Even though weight and size is important to cc, my hands are large, long fingers.
    Pete63, 5lima30ret and Bad Bob like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

You can get the Shield in 9 mm, .40, and .45 acp. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO. They are boringly reliable. I find them to be softer shooting than their Glock counterparts. Even though I am carrying a P-365 My Shield will not be going anywhere! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by africanintexas View Post
    Hk p30sk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just looked that one up, the nozzle is the right size but the handle got chopped off?

Short nozzle and longer handle would be better for all my fingers, some of them fall off the dinky handles

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by africanintexas View Post
    Hk p30sk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The OP specified .45, the P30 only comes in 9 mm and .40, the P30sk and sks only comes in 9 mm.
    My choice for .45 is any good 1911 or the H&K HK45.
    Last edited by flphotog; January 23rd, 2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Sister and Militant like this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Springfield xde 45 (DA/SA) is my suggestion. Mine hasn't malfunctioned in over 2000 rounds fired.
    Sister, Pete63, airslot and 2 others like this.

Have you looked at the Kimber Ultra Carry II? It's the same size and all as the Defender, but it may function better. Additionally, I found out (fortunately at the range), that my Defender doesn't feed well with any of the Hornady Critical rounds (Critical Defense, Critical Duty). They seemed to jam up every now and then. I had the same issue with Federal 230 gr Ball ammo. I'm currently using Winchester PDX and have not had any issues with feeding or firing.
    Sister, Old Man, Goldy49 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    Have you looked at the Kimber Ultra Carry II? It's the same size and all as the Defender, but it may function better. Additionally, I found out (fortunately at the range), that my Defender doesn't feed well with any of the Hornady Critical rounds (Critical Defense, Critical Duty). They seemed to jam up every now and then. I had the same issue with Federal 230 gr Ball ammo. I'm currently using Winchester PDX and have not had any issues with feeding or firing.
    yup, same here, had to use Winchester.

I like Kimber myself, will look into it. The size of the defender I really liked, felt great in my hand.

If youíre good with short & fat...look at HK45Cís or USP Compact .45.

Theyíre crazy reliable, and are VERY soft shooting .45ís.
    rotorhead1026, JD, Sister and 2 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Springfield xde 45 (DA/SA) is my suggestion. Mine hasn't malfunctioned in over 2000 rounds fired.
    yes itís a great gun - mentioned before I cannot rack them, husband has at least 3 Springfieldís and I canít rack any of them.

look at a Sig P225, single stack 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Just looked that one up, the nozzle is the right size but the handle got chopped off?

Short nozzle and longer handle would be better for all my fingers, some of them fall off the dinky handles
    HK makes an extended magazine for it that lengthens the grip considerable (uses a 13rd mag for the USP Compact 9mm, and adds a spacer to fill the gap). Makes it a lot easier to handle.

But, it's a 9mm. If you want a .45...no joy.

You could look at a P2000SK in .40, and use a 12rd P2000 magazine with the spacer, though.
    Sister likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 Super. Buy once, cry once. Then youíd be ready to take on Bonnie and Clyde. Quick, before youíre on fixed income.
    Sister, msgt/ret, Tstone and 1 others like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Any thought of sending the Colt to a good 1911 gunsmith and having them do some reliability work on it? That is a pretty well known and documented platform and the people that work on them know what to do. The Defender has a good rep on the 1911 Forum. People have thousands of rounds through them.

Oddly, one thread talked about something that might seem counter-intuitive for a feeding problem and that is extractor tension. Apparently too tight an extractor can cause FTF problems. Not sure how that happens, but that's what I read.

There is stuff that can be done. There are no guarantees with whatever new gun you might get. It seems you liked the gun enough to buy it. Just a thought...
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Okay, once again........

.45 FORTY FIVE, JUST LIKE OUR WONDERFUL PRESIDENT, NUMBER 45!

1911, I want a 1911

3-4.5Ē

no dinky handles, got extra fingers on that hand 🤣
    MMinSC and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Any thought of sending the Colt to a good 1911 gunsmith and having them do some reliability work on it? That is a pretty well known and documented platform and the people that work on them know what to do. The Defender has a good rep on the 1911 Forum. People have thousands of rounds through them.

Oddly, one thread talked about something that might seem counter-intuitive for a feeding problem and that is extractor tension. Apparently too tight an extractor can cause FTF problems. Not sure how that happens, but that's what I read.

There is stuff that can be done. There are no guarantees with whatever new gun you might get. It seems you liked the gun enough to buy it. Just a thought...

Just hung up not 2 minutes ago with CWO saying the same thing! He wantís to fix it. He fixes everything and that is great. If this gun gets fixed then it will be fixed for the next person that buys it after I trade it in on a gun that donít need fixíin.

There are a lot of things that can break sometimes and can be fixed and if it were a vaccume cleaner then it would be one thing but this isnít something Iíd take a chance with. Defender has to go.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links