EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks. - Page 4

EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.

This is a discussion on EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by flh Mrs Santa got me a Springfield 1911 for Christmas last year, it's run perfect, I have shelved my Glock. btw Mrs ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Mrs Santa got me a Springfield 1911 for Christmas last year, it's run perfect, I have shelved my Glock.

btw Mrs Santa really likes to shoot it but prefers her Glocks
    Mine is shelved also.
    flh, Pete63, airslot and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Sister, get your hands on a DW ECO and you'll never look back!

EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.-eco600.jpg
    Tundra5.7, Sister, Pete63 and 5 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I'll second the Springfield XDE. It's slide is super easy to rack, different that any other Springfield. It is like the S&W EZ .380.
    Sister likes this.
    ďI wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on. I donít do these things to other people and I require the same from them.Ē John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    The Colt .45 Night Defender has let me down big time, canít (wonít) carry a gun that Iím not 100% sure will go bang.

Took it to the range for a second time, we have tried out magazines, ammo and just about everything and it still will not feed 100% of the time. After 200 rounds and 5 different mags it has to go.

Tried my PK 380. Shot good, it also had some issues but nothing like the Colt. Took out CWOís fathers 380 (forgot who made it) and it shot perfectly and I shot it well.

So the last 380 is a great carry and I can and will however itís not what I feel safe with, to me not enough bullet.

I donít like Glocks and not changing my mind. Donít want a Taurus either.

Any suggestions on a semi .45 that will work ALL THE TIME? {easy on the hands too}

Not dissing Colts, just major disappointment in this gun however I really do love the way it feels in my hand and weight wise.
    Sounds like my Defender I had years ago. I really wanted to love it, but it was finicky to feed and extract unless I had a white knuckle death grip on it. Honestly, that's a common complaint with 3-inch 1911's. Go an additional 1.25 inches with a Commander, or just one inch with a Springfield "Commander" type. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Keep in mind that it's really not the barrel length (within reason) that hurts your concealment; it's the size and shape of the grip. I'll bet a bobtail Commander would suit you fine.
    Sister likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

How about one of these? .45, 4Ē barrel

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...hampion-45acp/
    Sister likes this.

Sister likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Iím a bit flummoxed...

A revolver is too heavy, but a 1911 (even a smaller one) isnít?

How do you plan to carry it?

You need an easy to rack slide, which usually means less recoil...yet you want fireballs, which usually means more recoil?

Short and fat, but you want to get your full hand on it?

You sure donít want much, do you?

You two need to come back over here...and shoot my Glock 30. Yeah itís ugly, but it works and does everything youíre looking for. Well, maybe except the fireballs...
    Sister likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

For a 45 carry gun, a Shield 45 seems like a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    Have you looked at the Kimber Ultra Carry II? It's the same size and all as the Defender, but it may function better. Additionally, I found out (fortunately at the range), that my Defender doesn't feed well with any of the Hornady Critical rounds (Critical Defense, Critical Duty). They seemed to jam up every now and then. I had the same issue with Federal 230 gr Ball ammo. I'm currently using Winchester PDX and have not had any issues with feeding or firing.
    My Kimber Tactical Ultra II has been flawless and despite its 3" barrel, it is one of my most accurate pistols - far more accurate than I am. It also gets carried more than any other pistol I own.
    Sister and Henry9008 like this.

I carried a German Sig P220 (.45acp) for decades, til about five years ago, when I finally switched to a P229 (.357sig). I really like the P229 in .357sig. It basically doubled my mag capacity since I got the +2 mags.
    If you're set on .45acp, I would go P220.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Sister, 5lima30ret and tonyboo109 like this.

Can't go wrong with an Extremely easy shooting Shield 45.

Mine is an early issue (2016) that has o, nadda, zilch, zero, niola malfunctions of any kind whatsoever through Thousands of rounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.-screenshot_20200122-204529_gallery_1579747905194.jpg  

Sister, gasmitty and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I love my Shield .45. You should shoot one and decide if you like it as much as I like mine!
    Sister, gasmitty and 5lima30ret like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I'll add some thoughts:

Officer sized 1911s are known to have reliability issues, and also wear out recoil springs at a greatly accelerated rate. If reliability is your prime concern, get a Commander (or even better a Gov't if you don't mind the long slide).

A all steel 1911 is as heavy as any revolver. Be sure you shop for an alloy frame.

One nice thing about .45 is expansion isn't really required. I personally would run the Defender with some flat-nosed FMJ. If it's reliable with that, I'd just carry it with the FMJ ammo. Freedom Munitions makes a non-expanding hollow point that I have found to be a very reliable feeder and I'm confident it would make appropriate sized holes in bad guys.
    Sister, Tstone and bmcgilvray like this.

Attachment 311624

Sig 1911 UC....this one has been reliable with everything I have used. Frame size might be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Iím a bit flummoxed. Exactly what I told CWO when we met you!

A revolver is too heavy, but a 1911 (even a smaller one) isnít? Why yes, this is true.

How do you plan to carry it? Would depend, if I went with some that were suggested (ie: double stack & full size) then probably a wheelbarrow or Flyer Red wagon since the weight would pull my britches down and me with it.

You need an easy to rack slide, which usually means less recoil...yet you want fireballs, which usually means more recoil
    Yes, yes, yes and no.

Short and fat, but you want to get your full hand on it?
    Yes your getting it now!

You sure donít want much, do you?be nice, I know where you live

You two need to come back over here...and shoot my Glock 30. Yeah itís ugly, but it works and does everything youíre looking for. Well, maybe except the fireballs...
    ..pftttt, well if it donít shoot fire then we can rule that out, who in their right mind would buy a gun that wonít shoot fire, didnít say I wanted a B.B. gun....

So, I did leave something important out - If I had said 1911 to begin with then this would have saved some time but wasnít 100% sure it had to be a 1911 until just looking at them. I shot the 1911 style much better and believe itís a lot to do with the triggers, the pull was much straighter and I believe this is why the shooting straighter.

Just to add, had mentioned about a week ago shooting with another finger, this worked beautifully! Used the middle finger (getting itis pain in index finger) and this worked better too - had a straighter pull too!

Weíll have to get together so I can teach you some of these new things about the gun world

(ps: forgot, I carry 10:30 cross - this makes a difference too in the shape of the gun, anything longer than a 4Ē is really poking me in the leg when I sit. Large handle is no problem with a 10:30 cross carry, women have curves that can hide stuff like that.)
    10thmtn and airslot like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links