EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks. - Page 5

EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.

This is a discussion on EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried a friend's 9mm Shield a couple of years ago. It was like a magic wand - I pointed, and it hit where I ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.

Senior Moderator
    I tried a friend's 9mm Shield a couple of years ago. It was like a magic wand - I pointed, and it hit where I pointed. But with its limited capacity, I decided I wanted more power and stepped up to a .45 Shield. It shoots better for me with 185 gr ammo than the 230 I'm used to in the 1911 guns. I'd recommend trying one out, if you can.

For 1911s, the one I carry most often when I need more than a J-frame is a Kimber Custom CDP II. This is Commander size, and shaves about 10 oz off a comparable steel gun. It has a full melt job so it's overall about as sharp as a bar of soap. With a bushingless bull barrel, it nudged the Sig 220 out of top spot for Most Accurate .45 Out of the Box. I have close to 3000 rounds of ball and reloads through the gun, and it has never, ever hiccupped - I can't even say that about the Sig. On top of that, it's a very pretty gun that would not be out of place at a Texas BBQ!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.-dscn1332_1.jpg  

Cuda66, airslot, G-man* and 6 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

There were a number of similar 1911's that emerged a few years back. I picked up a Sig ultra two tone. Great shooters, very reliable and accurate. The C3 model is similar with a longer barrel.

MMinSC, 5lima30ret and Militant like this.

Paladin3840 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I really like my Sig Nightmare Carry....soft shooter, good eater, accurate.....

EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.-175d9c6a-e52f-4e1c-a316-08ab46c37b9c.jpeg
    Bad Bob, Struckat, MMinSC and 7 others like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Shield .45 seems like the logical carry choice.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    CZ-P-07 Cajunized
    Glock 26 Gen 5
    Glock 17 Gen 5
    Sig P365

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    The .38 Super shoots fire and he did offer it to me but not what I want nor does it fit, too big for me to conceal.

Bad Bob had it with that S&W 1911, He’s done and messed it up now I like that one the best!

Damn you @Bad Bob . 😉

(he would have to find one I like that is over $1,000)
    My primary these days is a Springfield EMP 3" in 40 S&W. I have wanted one since they came out. You only die once, may as well enjoy life with the things you want.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    Shield .45 seems like the logical carry choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    My primary these days is a Springfield EMP 3" in 40 S&W. I have wanted one since they came out. You only die once, may as well enjoy life with the things you want.
    Boy ain't that the truth, Bad Bob. I knew the Shield .45 was my "logical choice," but I just wanted the Colt 1911 LW Commander. @Sister , good luck with your search. Get the S&W 1911 if that's what ya want!
    Bad Bob, 5lima30ret and ETXhiker like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    A all steel 1911 is as heavy as any revolver. Be sure you shop for an alloy frame.
    I agree with all you said except not necessarily this part. For those of us who swap out our grips for slim ones and bushings, alloy might not be the best choice. I stripped the threads on a Springfield Champion with the alloy frame and had to bore it for oversize bushings. I've been a stickler for steel frames ever since. I'm not bothered by the few extra ounces.
    bmcgilvray and drmordo like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

This is my 3rd 220, easy to carry, accurate and soft shooting. Can be had in SA if that’s what you like.

The Sig 1911 style pistols are good, it if you go there, you are only a few bucks away from a DW Guardian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EDC suggestions, no dinky guns or glocks.-59439721-10ea-4c22-a907-a2a1335745b0.jpeg  

Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Have you tried a Shield in .45acp? My 9mm is reliable and soft shooting. I’ve heard the 45 shoots even softer than the 9mm
    My son-in-law has the Shield in .45 and it is a nice shooting gun, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a softer shooter than a 9mm, but they are close to each other recoil wise. For it's size, the Shield line is a reliable and accurate platform.
    5lima30ret and Struckat like this.

My Kimber ultra has been 100% reliable!
    Henry9008 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Okay, once again........

.45 FORTY FIVE, JUST LIKE OUR WONDERFUL PRESIDENT, NUMBER 45!

1911, I want a 1911

3-4.5”

no dinky handles, got extra fingers on that hand 🤣
    Have you consider any of the Kimbers? They have a plethora of looks that you might like. I'm actually considering looking into them for my wife.
    OD*, Henry9008 and 5lima30ret like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Price never seems to come down on those EMPs.
    I would like to handle the 4" Concealed Carry Contour EMP in .40.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I tried a friend's 9mm Shield a couple of years ago. It was like a magic wand - I pointed, and it hit where I pointed. But with its limited capacity, I decided I wanted more power and stepped up to a .45 Shield. It shoots better for me with 185 gr ammo than the 230 I'm used to in the 1911 guns. I'd recommend trying one out, if you can.

For 1911s, the one I carry most often when I need more than a J-frame is a Kimber Custom CDP II. This is Commander size, and shaves about 10 oz off a comparable steel gun. It has a full melt job so it's overall about as sharp as a bar of soap. With a bushingless bull barrel, it nudged the Sig 220 out of top spot for Most Accurate .45 Out of the Box. I have close to 3000 rounds of ball and reloads through the gun, and it has never, ever hiccupped - I can't even say that about the Sig. On top of that, it's a very pretty gun that would not be out of place at a Texas BBQ!
    I and the wife shot the Defender version of that Kimber; the Ultra II with a laser grip. I’m a Colt guy, but I have to say that the Kimber was a fine shooting gun. And it being a rental, a neglected one, but had a superb feel, flawless function, and the accuracy was more than satisfying. I loved it, and instantly wanted to take it home!

Really, all of these 1911 style guns are good choices if that is what a person wants.

I also shot the EMP Springfield, and it’s the kind of gun that anyone would like too. It’s a scaled down version of a 1911.

Honestly, at this point after shooting so many of them, I would be very hard pressed to make a choice.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

A Kimber two tone ultra II can be found for mid 600 dollars and the stainless version in the low to mid 700 dollars too . Even for small hands thin grips may be all that's needed or wanted for thinner carry and a short trigger will allow a young kid to learn to shoot it . The 9mm models a Wilson 9 round mag and 10 round back can make for easy to shoot package .

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links