Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for

This is a discussion on Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well,as most know I divested myself of all my 9mm's several months ago as I just didn't carry them after getting a commander 1911 in ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 9 Post By forester58
  • 2 Post By subhuman
  • 1 Post By forester58
  • 1 Post By rotorhead1026
  • 3 Post By patri0t
  • 2 Post By forester58
  • 2 Post By PPS1980
  • 1 Post By Cornhusker95

Thread: Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for

Well,as most know I divested myself of all my 9mm's several months ago as I just didn't carry them after getting a commander 1911 in 45acp. I still kept all my 9mm ammo (several thousand rounds) as I planned to pick up another 9mm someday.

I stopped in the pawn shop on Tuesday just for looks and ended up with, of all things, a polymer striker fired 9mm. I have not been a big fan of polymer or striker even though I have had some great guns in my time. This one had some features that just worked for me over other polymer nines I have owned. So, $258.16 later I went out yesterday and ran 150 rounds through it. So, here are my thoughts.
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-.jpg

A Walther PPS in the original form vs the M2. It came with all the stuff in the case with XS standard dot night sights as well as the original sights. Talon grip, Vedder holster and a single polymer mag holster.
    It probably has never seen another holster as both holster and gun have surface wear from use. The gun internally looks like new so it had decent care and maintenance.
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-b.jpg
    What I liked:
    Slim single stack configuration for IWB carry, super comfortable.

Paddle mag release. I have had these on HK guns and to me I prefer them over the thumb button as they are more natural to me and I don't have to move my grip as much.

Very comfortable to shoot and very good accuracy.

Striker half cock indicator. You can see at a glance if the striker is pre cocked and it protrudes out the gun when the trigger pull is started. I like the tactile indicator of trigger movement when holstering like a hammer fired gun.
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-uncocked.jpg
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-striker-cocked-indicator.jpg
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-trigger-press-indicator.jpg

Trigger was also very crisp with zero over travel and a nice reset.

So far no hiccups with Golden Saber, HST, Critical Duty or Gold Dot ammunition.

6,7 and 8 round factory mag options. I prefer the 8 so ordered a few more.
    I just have not found any double stacks I like to carry IWB just too chunky for comfort so now all my semi autos are single stack, true single stack not like the staggered "single stack" like the G43.

What I did not like:
    The magazine base plates are a long weird and potentially snaggy arrangement. I prefer a 1911 type magazine that is relatively smooth and still easy to reference correctly. I would hesitate to pocket carry the PPS mags so good thing it came with a belt option.

No longer made it seems so I wonder about springs and such for regular maintenance. Mags were easy to find and pretty cheap at $19 vs the original price of near $40.
    Seems like everything I find that I like is no longer made.

Overall, I am actually really glad I found this gun. It makes a nice slim T shirt carry type of EDC when I want to go lighter and super thin. This gun has renewed my appreciation for polymer striker fired handguns.

One more very positive feature I forgot to mention is the slide stop/release lever. While it is very easy to release the slide with the button as it hits my thumb joint perfectly it is also near impossible to hit it while shooting which was the main reason my G 43 got traded. There is a little polymer ridge just below the slide release that protects it from accidental activation. I can actually index my thumb up against it which leaves a perfect spot for my off hand to fit into for a thumbs forward grip.
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-slide-release.jpg
    Picked up a gun I wasn't looking for-pps-thumb-indexed-against-stop.jpg
    Last edited by forester58; January 24th, 2020 at 02:40 PM.

I prefer the shield but I would not have passed that pps up at that price...nicely done
    forester58 and 5lima30ret like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    I prefer the shield but I would not have passed that pps up at that price...nicely done
    I liked the Shield I rented a few years back too. I prefer the M&P take down as well. I wish some day they put all the features I like on one gun. A guy can dream anyway.
    G26Raven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post

No longer made it seems so I wonder about springs and such for regular maintenance. Mags were easy to find and pretty cheap at $19 vs the original price of near $40.

I doubt Walther will stop supporting the PPS of either model, at least in our lifetime. :)
    forester58 likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Nice shooter.
    If I had a nickle for every time I "picked up a gun I wasn't looking for"; I could pick up another gun I'm not looking for.
    forester58, G26Raven and hkusp9f like this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Nice shooter.
    If I had a nickle for every time I "picked up a gun I wasn't looking for"; I could pick up another gun I'm not looking for.
    Boy ain't that the truth. Walking into a gun store with cash in your pocket is almost a guaranteed buy situation.
    Tstone and hkusp9f like this.

VIP Member
    You got a very nice package at a very good price IMHO. My EDCs are Walther's P99AS and PPS Classic. I love the paddle releases but the biggest seller for me on the PPS when I was comparing single stack 9's 4+ years ago was reliability (only 3 met that criteria - Glock, Taurus??, and Walther) and shootability. Can't hit the side of a barn with any Glock. Taurus' support is riddled with complaints. Walther had a lifetime warranty and it shot more like a mid-sized handgun than a SC.

Enjoy your new PPS!
    forester58 and 5lima30ret like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Well,as most know I divested myself of all my 9mm's several months ago as I just didn't carry them after getting a commander 1911 in 45acp. I still kept all my 9mm ammo (several thousand rounds) as I planned to pick up another 9mm someday.

I stopped in the pawn shop on Tuesday just for looks and ended up with, of all things, a polymer striker fired 9mm. I have not been a big fan of polymer or striker even though I have had some great guns in my time. This one had some features that just worked for me over other polymer nines I have owned. So, $258.16 later I went out yesterday and ran 150 rounds through it. So, here are my thoughts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPS a.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	311722

A Walther PPS in the original form vs the M2. It came with all the stuff in the case with XS standard dot night sights as well as the original sights. Talon grip, Vedder holster and a single polymer mag holster.
    It probably has never seen another holster as both holster and gun have surface wear from use. The gun internally looks like new so it had decent care and maintenance.

Name:	PPS b.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	311730
    What I liked:
    Slim single stack configuration for IWB carry, super comfortable.

Paddle mag release. I have had these on HK guns and to me I prefer them over the thumb button as they are more natural to me and I don't have to move my grip as much.

Very comfortable to shoot and very good accuracy.

Striker half cock indicator. You can see at a glance if the striker is pre cocked and it protrudes out the gun when the trigger pull is started. I like the tactile indicator of trigger movement when holstering like a hammer fired gun.

Name:	PPS uncocked.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	311724

Name:	PPS striker cocked indicator.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	311726

Name:	PPS trigger press indicator.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	311728

Trigger was also very crisp with zero over travel and a nice reset.

So far no hiccups with Golden Saber, HST, Critical Duty or Gold Dot ammunition.

6,7 and 8 round factory mag options. I prefer the 8 so ordered a few more.
    I just have not found any double stacks I like to carry IWB just too chunky for comfort so now all my semi autos are single stack, true single stack not like the staggered "single stack" like the G43.

What I did not like:
    The magazine base plates are a long weird and potentially snaggy arrangement. I prefer a 1911 type magazine that is relatively smooth and still easy to reference correctly. I would hesitate to pocket carry the PPS mags so good thing it came with a belt option.

Overall, I am actually really glad I found this gun. It makes a nice slim T shirt carry type of EDC when I want to go lighter and super thin. This gun has renewed my appreciation for polymer striker fired handguns.

One more very positive feature I forgot to mention is the slide stop/release lever. While it is very easy to release the slide with the button as it hits my thumb joint perfectly it is also near impossible to hit it while shooting which was the main reason my G 43 got traded. There is a little polymer ridge just below the slide release that protects it from accidental activation. I can actually index my thumb up against it which leaves a perfect spot for my off hand to fit into for a thumbs forward grip.

Name:	PPS slide release.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	311736

Name:	PPS thumb indexed against stop.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	311738
    Good work...I have the M2 and it is my second favorite it is heavier than my CM9 or it would be a toss up.
    forester58 likes this.

Sponsored Links