Just for conversation; what do ya think?

This is a discussion on Just for conversation; what do ya think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think he has some good points, regardless of your chosen carry piece....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree316Likes

Thread: Just for conversation; what do ya think?

I think he has some good points, regardless of your chosen carry piece.

" Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I'm both. I both collect a ton of variety, but I primarily train, carry, and compete with just a select few.
    G-man*, Old Man, viney266 and 6 others like this.

If you can only handle one tool, then stick with one tool. If you can handle multiple tools or just want multiple tools, go for it.

When I was a technician, I had three large tool boxes. Two were specialized tools and the third was adaptors gathered over the years to simplify my work. When I became an engineer, the union rules prevented me from touching a tool. I didn't get rid of my tools. I kept them at home in case I ever needed them. I kept them from engineer to senior engineer to staff engineer to manager to consultant. I still have all of those tools that I haven't needed in forty years just in case I ever need to work again as a technician.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I agree with his philosophy for protection firearms. Kind of like the saying "Beware of the man with only one gun and he knows how to use it" or such.
    Over the last forty years, I have owned and shot many handguns. My first semi-auto was a Glock 17. Added a 19 and a 26 and then somewhere along the way I sold those. Tried several others and went back to Glock. Works for me and everyone else should find what works for them.
    G-man*, Old Man, OldChap and 6 others like this.

A true "Man of Arms" should be able to carry and effectively deploy ANY weapons platform in a hostile encounter, whether it's a snub revolver, pocket-size auto, duty-size auto or SAA clone. A single gun, or even single style of gun, does NOT effectively cover all defensive scenarios, regardless of group think.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..."
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by Backpacker57 View Post
    I agree with his philosophy for protection firearms. Kind of like the saying "Beware of the man with only one gun and he knows how to use it" or such.
    Over the last forty years, I have owned and shot many handguns. My first semi-auto was a Glock 17. Added a 19 and a 26 and then somewhere along the way I sold those. Tried several others and went back to Glock. Works for me and everyone else should find what works for them.
    I agree also.

For me, the 1911 and the Glock are it.
    Overall, I prefer the 1911 because I just like it, but over the years I have become so deeply entrenched in Glock accessories that they are a mainstay, but I’m also deep in to 1911 accessories, so I just enjoy them both for what they offer.

All week I carried a 1911, and this weekend I’m rolling with the G26.

Really, outside of these two, I don’t really have any more handgun desires or needs.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    A true "Man of Arms" should be able to carry and effectively deploy ANY weapons platform in a hostile encounter, whether it's a snub revolver, pocket-size auto, duty-size auto or SAA clone. A single gun, or even single style of gun, does NOT effectively cover all defensive scenarios, regardless of group think.

Well, I think that may be relevant on a field of battle, but I find that idea stretching things just a little for everyday life.

I think it would be a safe bet to assume that most anyone who is in to guns enough to edc, could pick up about any other gun and quickly make it work.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

My primary concealed carry pistols include one of several government model 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm or a 5" S&W 1006 10mm. My concealed carry revolvers include 4" revolvers in .357 magnum, 10mm, or .44 magnum. My secondary pistol is a pocket carried Sig P938 9mm.

People get into trouble if the safety functions in opposite directions or are in different locations.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post

This I agree with wholeheartedly. Even though I mainly use one type of pistol, I am very familiar with several other types, and can be as accurate, if not more so with others. Guns are tools, and the more familiar you are with different tools, the easier it will be to press one into use, that you don't use often.

Example: if all you have ever used and all you are familiar with is a hammer, how easily would you be able to use pliers or a screwdriver? If all you have ever carried and used is a glock, how easily could you use a bolt action shotgun, or even a double barrel one?

When it comes to rank and the chain of command, familiarity breeds a lacidasial attitudes. With firearms, familiarity with different types will make you an overall better marksman.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

I wish I was a collector. But my “tools” all serve a purpose.
    Maybe some day if I hit the lottery, of course I’d have to play the lottery first.
    Chicagobill and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Well, I think that may be relevant on a field of battle, but I find that idea stretching things just a little for everyday life.

I think it would be a safe bet to assume that most anyone who is in to guns enough to edc, could pick up about any other gun and quickly make it work.
    Being around rookie police officers, my concern was never about them making it work.

My concern was for them ventilating my hide because they would make it work unintentionally when pointed in my direction! I even had the unhappy experience of some FTO's and supervisors making me feel the same way. On at least one memorable occasion, I was asked to step in and make an unfamiliar weapon safe.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I agree with his philosophy in general about having a "rotation" just for the sake of carrying different guns vs specific roles different guns can excel at.
    I am not a collector and if I have guns go unused for too long they get traded. The exceptions are my hunting guns that get used for only a short time every year.
    I have a woods handgun that is just too heavy and bulky for CC work. I have a pocket 380 for NPE environments that will see very little use after I retire but, will be kept for only that specific role.
    I will always have the 642 if for nothing else than a winter jacket pocket carry added to a belt carried primary or a left handed backup gun.
    That leaves me with only 2 more concealed carry guns. The 9mm Walther PPS and my favorite belt gun the commander 1911. After retirement I expect the 1911 carried OWB will become the main event day to day with the PPS filling the T shirt carry role.

I have no further needs for more handguns and with retirement on July 31st I have to look to the new budget for ammo and such so new guns may be a thing of the past. I am good with what I have if that is the case. I would have to sell something to acquire new ones from here on out.

Truth be told the 1911 and the 642 would fill any role I might need a handgun for and my 870 shorty would work for Bear defense.

Distinguished Member
    The video presentation has some very good points, particularly to someone that is just getting into self-defense and desires to carry a firearm for protection. My recommendations for many years to the question of "What should I buy?" is "Glock pistol or S&W revolver." I have now modified that somewhat and include S&W pistols in the M&P line, including the Shield. I believe that it is also best to have the same type of safety device, and for me it is either something that swipes down with thumb in the 1911 style or better yet, no safety other than the trigger.

The main point I think that he made follows the K.I.S.S. principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.

What was said about handguns in the video also applies to holsters to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Being around rookie police officers, my concern was never about them making it work.

My concern was for them ventilating my hide because they would make it work unintentionally when pointed in my direction! I even had the unhappy experience of some FTO's and supervisors making me feel the same way. On at least one memorable occasion, I was asked to step in and make an unfamiliar weapon safe.
    Well yes, I have seen rookie officers that did not know how to unload a revolver.

However, none of that is really in the context of what John was talking about in the video.

Rather, the general synopsis is that instead of buying more guns to use for defensive carry purposes, one is better served with choosing what is going to work for you in general overall, and build around that choice.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Sounds to me like "different strokes for different folks."

I have guns I enjoy shooting at the range, and guns that I own and carry for self-defense.

And I'm okay with that.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links