S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8"

S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8"

This is a discussion on S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my .45ACP carry gun in my Springfield Service model as that was what I carried back when I had my CCW in Arkansas ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8"

Cool S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8"

I have my .45ACP carry gun in my Springfield Service model as that was what I carried back when I had my CCW in Arkansas and Pennsylvania. Now, I have been looking at the S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8" as a second carry gun if I ever get out of CA. The more I handle one the more I like it. Others here have turned me on to Underwood .44 Special 200 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point loads at 975FPS.

Name:  download (49).jpg
Views: 93
Size:  7.5 KB

Name:  61693_1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  288219_6e55e7cfa6eb440acaf83d8d9f5a6dca.gif
Views: 90
Size:  11.3 KB

VIP Member
    So is you is, or is you ainít ?
    Pete63 and ETXhiker like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I very nearly bought one of those, but instead bought a 3" M629 Deluxe.

I had a 686 PC for a while, and I really didn't like the slab sided barrel and cylinder. It just looks weird to me.

Here' my 3" M629 next to to my Taurus 445 BUG.

S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8"-m629-m445.jpg
    Danimal, Bad Bob, Pete63 and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I think itís a hunka hunka. I like the slab sides.
    Old Man likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Can you say recoil junkie?
    bmcgilvray and Pete63 like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

What kind of velocity can you get out of that short barrel?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    So is you is, or is you ainít ?
    Oh, I am going to buy one. I'm just working out the methodology. First I have to find a copy of my "Birth Certificate" so this old fart can "prove" I am an American Citizen here in the Peoples Republic of California. On the good side of things; the event has almost convinced my wife to move out of California. It even ticked her off. YEA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Can you say recoil junkie?
    Load some 330 grain Randy Garrett Hammerheads in any .44 Mag that can chamber them and take it to the range. That's when you are a true recoil junkie! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8"-330hammerhead-2-.jpg
    ETXhiker, Bad Bob, Pete63 and 1 others like this.

You can only shoot Randy Garrett 310 gr. Hammerheads out of a S&W because the 330gr. rounds are too long. I would not care to shoot them out of a S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8". I restrict my Randy Garrett ammo to my Ruger Super RedHawk 7.5" as well as my full .44 Magnum loads.

With the Underwood .44 Special 200 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point loads from what I have been reading I am expecting about 900FPS. I have zero intention of shooting full magnum loads out of the S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8". My ideal round would be the now discontinued Speer 200gr. Bonded Jacketed HP rated at 1100 FPS which I would expect would give just under 1000FPS in the S&W 629 Performance Center. I have found that I shoot the shove of such loads much faster and more accurately than the high-pitch crack from .357 magnums using the 125gr. best man stopper loads especially under street type situations without hearing protection like one wears on a range.
    Pete63 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    For no reason in particular, I have never chrono'd rounds from my 3" M629.

For what it's worth, and I guess it's pretty predictable, but I can say that there is a substantial difference in recoil between FMJ 240gr 44 SPL, Underwood 200gr 44 SPL, Winchester Silvertip 210gr 44 MAG, and full tilt Rem UMC 240gr 44 MAG. The Silvertips, while hotter than either of the SPLs, are manageable from the 3" N frame. Rem UMC 240gr is a bit much from my 3" and 4" guns, but is fun from my 6" M629.

I did chrono the Underwood from my 2" Taurus 445, where it ran 1017 fps. The Silvertips and Rem UMC were substantially hotter than the Underwoods, so they are pretty potent even from a 3" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    For no reason in particular, I have never chrono'd rounds from my 3" M629.

For what it's worth, and I guess it's pretty predictable, but I can say that there is a substantial difference in recoil between FMJ 240gr 44 SPL, Underwood 200gr 44 SPL, Winchester Silvertip 210gr 44 MAG, and full tilt Rem UMC 240gr 44 MAG. The Silvertips, while hotter than either of the SPLs, are manageable from the 3" N frame. Rem UMC 240gr is a bit much from my 3" and 4" guns, but is fun from my 6" M629.

I did chrono the Underwood from my 2" Taurus 445, where it ran 1017 fps. The Silvertips and Rem UMC were substantially hotter than the Underwoods, so they are pretty potent even from a 3" barrel.

Hmmm, interesting as I have shot the Winchester 210gr. Silvertips a lot out my Ruger Super Readhawk 7.5" as that was what I kept in speed loaders for around the house. While I was in grizzly country in Wyoming I kept the Randy Garrett 330gr. Hammerheads just in case. Of course the one time I did not take my Ruger with me the guy I was staying with in a cabin up near the Continental Divide east of Jackson Hole; came running in saying there was a HUGE black bear he estimated at around 500 pounds was raiding one of his root cellars and did I have "my gun"? He knew I always had a bear license but that "one time" I did not bring my gun. Auuuuugh! Need I say I never went without it again?
    Pete63, drmordo and MMinSC like this.

Shooting .44 Specials and .44 Mag of what I call "police loads" of lower velocity at 1100FPS out of a heavy .44 magnum handgun, to me anyway, is more of a push and easy to handle. I prefer it to a full house .357 125 grain "man stopper" loading that has such a good reputation on the street. I just shoot the larger caliber lower velocity better in a wheel gun. To me the muzzle blast of the best defense loads of a .357 Magnum are just too piercing and distracting for me under "street" conditions but that does not mean it is not perfect for others.

When it comes to autos I go with the .45ACP only because I have been shooting it for longer than most people today have been alive. With the advances in bullet technology and powders if you can shoot a 9MM better then go with what you can shoot the best. I am by no means a purist but a realist. You can't stop an assailant you can't hit. One must know their limitations when it comes to handling recoil and what guns and calibers they shoot the fastest with accuracy. For civilian carry considering the ever increasing limitation of magazine capacity I lean toward the larger calibers be it .40 or .45 however again you have to be able to shoot them accurately. Growing up in a gun culture as I did I never thought about "recoil". I simply knew at a young age some guns "kicked" harder than others and adapted to learn to shoot them. It was funny when I went in the US Army as a young 2LT. and had to qualify with the Colt 1911 .45ACP and some of the other 2LT. were complaining about how bad the pistol recoiled. I clearly remember thinking to myself "it does"? I had shot my grandfathers Colt 1911 .45 ACP so much growing up I guess I had just accepted how the gun shot. I qualified "expert" on my first try. Personally I think a lot of recoil shyness lies in how we think about the firearm combined with its reputation. I remember the first time I shot a full house .44 Magnum (I was a little anxious) load out of my Ruger Redhawk 6" and thinking; what was all the fuss about? Yes, it kicks but not all that bad.

Now you fire some Randy Garrett 330gr. Hammerheads or Buffalo Bore 340gr. Hardcast high velocity even out of a Ruger Super Redhawk and they will wake you up.
    Pete63 and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Well, due to my extreme hard time finding the ammo I want for the S&W 629 Performance Center .44 Mag. 2 5/8" I have continued to search for what I think is the ballistics I have been searching for even if it is not in .44 Special or .44 Magnum loads available to the market.

I have found the Speer 10MM 200gr. Gold Dot Handgun Personal Protection loading at 1100 FPS. Most Interesting! - https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...ection/54000gd

bmcgilvray and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    It is not as bad as some people would like you to think. My 200 grn reloads will probably do 1300 from the 2.5" BBL.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Senior Moderator
    My brother-in-law has a Smith & Wesson Model 29-2 custom with a 2-inch barrel. We once shot some stiff hand loads with 265 grain Hornady JHPs out of it.

Hah! I think it loosened my fillings. Gotta be careful of that for I've got a lot of fillings.
    Pete63, drmordo, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links