Help me decide - Kahr CM40 or CM9

This is a discussion on Help me decide - Kahr CM40 or CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've almost decided to grab one of the Kahr CM models and I'm torn between the 9mm and the .40 caliber for pocket carry. I ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Help me decide - Kahr CM40 or CM9

VIP Member

I've almost decided to grab one of the Kahr CM models and I'm torn between the 9mm and the .40 caliber for pocket carry. I won't consider a .380 at this point, so that's out. Keep in mind that these pistols are extremely close in size.

CM9 Length - 5.42"
    CM40 Length - 5.47"

CM9 Height - 4.0"
    CM40 Height - 4.0"

CM9 Width - 0.9"
    CM40 Width - 0.94"

The differences are only a few hundredths of an inch. Therefore, the size difference isn't a factor to me. The prices are typically within $25.00-ish or so.

So here's what I've considered so far. Please feel free to enlighten me if I've missed something.

CM9

Pros:
    The CM9 costs slightly less
    Cheaper ammo
    Possibly better ammo availability
    Less recoil
    Higher capacity by one round
    Far greater pocket holster availability (some say a CM 40 will fit the same holster(s), some say it won't. It probably depends on the tightness of the holster).

Cons:
    Smaller bullet, less stopping power (no caliber wars, please)

CM40

Pros:
    Larger bullet, better stopping power (see above)

Cons:
    The CM40 costs slightly more
    More expensive ammo
    Possibly less ammo availability
    More recoil
    Less capacity by one round

I realize that, at a glance, the lists above point clearly to the CM9. But at the same time, something just "feels" better to me about carrying a .40 cal as opposed to a 9mm. The Kahr pistols can handle +P ammo. Also, I've owned a PM9 in the past and it was flawless after the break-in period.

As for recoil, in a real life danger situation, I doubt very many people will be too bothered by a snappier recoil. These aren't meant to be range guns.

So what do you think and why?
    CLASS3NH and 5lima30ret like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

P365
    MMinSC, 5lima30ret and ETXhiker like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Cm9. With magguts internals you get even more rounds. I’d rather have more rounds on tap than a more powerful caliber, especially in such a small package

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I’d rather have more rounds on tap than a more powerful caliber, especially in such a small package
    That's another thing I've thought about. Without a longer barrel to produce enough velocity to make the heavier bullet "matter" more....
    Marc_Brooks and CLASS3NH like this.

-miklcolt45

I'd say either one will suit you well...... Personally, I'm picking up a Used CM40 Two-Tone, that came into the store.......priced out at 195.00 due to the 40 being a "dead" caliber to some.....hell, the price is right....175.00 my cost....I'll just carry a couple extra mags.. "Just in case"..
    zonker1986 and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

CM9 for all of the pro comments above.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Canik TP9SF Elite One
    Taurus G2C (wifes)

Son of Thunder

VIP Member
    Bud's has the PM40 for $370.00 right now, while the CM40 is $364.00. The CM9 is $300.00. So for a $70.00 difference, I could not only get the .40 cal, but the PM version with the match grade barrel AND two mags. I hear that the magazines, if bought separately, run about $35.00 and more.

Not sure how long this deal will last, but this definitely makes me lean toward the PM version of the .40 cal.
    lebomb and zonker1986 like this.

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Let me also add that I'm not very recoil sensitive. I usually carry a .45 ACP in one flavor or another. So recoil isn't an issue with me.

-miklcolt45

Well I have a cm9 which I never pocket carry. The rear slide is squared off and the gun is too big to yank out of my jeans pocket. I do pocket carry a lcp II though. It comes out fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10thmtn and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Get the CM9... There's death stats as well as corners reports, as well as medical doctor reports. There's no coronation of this mythical "stopping power" between handgun rounds. Typical handgun rounds just punch holes, and are terrible man stoppers. Most people who are shot survive. What matters most is penetration and shot placement...

CM9 will hold it's resale value more and will sell quicker if you ever want to dump it. Ammo selection, availability, and cost will be better. You get more rounds, faster follow up shots, and better accuracy especially in such a small pistol...
    franco45 and Marc_Brooks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Bud's has the PM40 for $370.00 right now, while the CM40 is $364.00. The CM9 is $300.00. So for a $70.00 difference, I could not only get the .40 cal, but the PM version with the match grade barrel AND two mags. I hear that the magazines, if bought separately, run about $35.00 and more.

Not sure how long this deal will last, but this definitely makes me lean toward the PM version of the .40 cal.
    What you save up front on the gun you'll lose later and then some on in resale and ammo cost, but it's up to you. A used CM9 will most likely sell for the same price as a used PM40... If you value the barrel upgrade (not sure it makes a difference anyway in a short barrel up close and personal pistol), the extra mag, and machining upgrades over ammo selection, availability, and cost as well as follow up shot accuracy, then go for the 40 Cal... I don't own any polymer Kahrs but I do own the MK9, MK40, K9, and K40. Get both and be done with it. That or just get the PM9. Yes it may cost more up front, but after a few range trips, you'll break even in comparison to the 40...

Kahr PM9 free shipping for $399. After two boxes of ammo for the PM40, you'll break even and start to save money. Look at it this way, would you rather buy the PM40 with one box of 100 ammo for $400, or the PM9 with no ammo for $400?
    Last edited by APX-9M; February 2nd, 2020 at 03:39 AM.

I carry both my CM40 and CM9 and I shoot both really well. The .40 is just a tad heavier and thicker than the CM9, and you notice it when you pocket carry. Since you are not recoil sensitive the CM40 really is a pocket cannon that I load with Hornady 165gr Critical Defense rounds. Check out the vids on Youtube of this round, and it may sway your opinion to the 40. Either pistol are really nice little guns that you can have with you always.

If you like Kahr pistols, the very best place to buy them is online at Buds Gun Shop. (not an ad for Buds) If you keep checking their site, you will find throughout the year, Kahr pistols on sale at ridiculous prices. Especially the .40 models. I have a PM40 and P40, both with night sights that I bought off Buds for slightly more than their CM models. You just have to check the site a lot because it is not advertised....just happens.
    SpringerXD likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

I have a PM9 and PM40 - yea, the 40 produces more recoil, but IME it is still more tolerable than a LCP 380.
    There is no such thing as caliber war.
    Rather than "stopping power" lets call it incapacitation potential.
    Its common sense that a larger hole(s) given same shot placement should generate the desired result quicker - how much quicker? (seconds count)
    Doctors can't tell a difference - are they trying to discern the difference in handgun wounds or repair the damage? I'm guessing the 2nd.
    Where are the documentation pics for layperson review? EX: 9mm versus 40/45 HST with wound difference (or lack thereof) documented? (Hint, it aint there).
    That being said, the 9mm Kahr is easier to shoot quickly, holds another round, and the 115+P Corbon produces impressive power from a pocket gun.
    I don't know which is "better", nice to have both.

My chrono averages, at least 5 shots:

Kahr PM9:
    Remington HTP 115 +P @ 1,105 fps / 312# KE
    Federal HST 124 +P @ 1,120 fps / 345# KE
    Winchester Ranger T 124 +P @ 1,139 fps / 357# KE
    Corbon 115 +P JHP @ 1,264 fps / 408# KE

PM40:
    180 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok @ 944 fps / 356# KE
    180 gr. Federal HST - 947 fps / 359# KE
    180 gr. Speer Gold Dot @ 950 fps / 361# KE
    155 gr. Federal Bonded @ 1,086 fps / 406# KE

For me, the PM9/PM40 is a 2nd option pocket gun carried in weak hand pocket with a larger pistol (Glock 23) IWB.
    The loads I bolded (and carry) are not only the highest energy of my options, the perform well from a short barrel, Lucky Gunner testing:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
    SpringerXD likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    I have the 9 and a 45 both shoot great
    40SW is a poor seller now a days so
    you can pick up a 40 cheap -

Sine the police adopted 9MM and all but dumped 40
    is why no one wants a 40 anymore
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

CM9 CW9 then a TP40 . Smaller 40sw don't for my ammo of choice - 155gr underwood GD at 1300fps plus . Never carred if others liked a 40sw . It was slow to the civilian market in '91 when I started to carry a 40sw and slow again today ? Maybe just more soft and fluffy guys today . My edc is still a 40sw after 29 years .
    zonker1986 and Workaholic like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links