Decisions: Ruger LCR versus Ruger LCR X and 38 versus 357

Decisions: Ruger LCR versus Ruger LCR X and 38 versus 357

This is a discussion on Decisions: Ruger LCR versus Ruger LCR X and 38 versus 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The LCR I am carrying (my wife's) has a few specifications I like: LCR in 38 Weight 13.5 Ounces ; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Decisions: Ruger LCR versus Ruger LCR X and 38 versus 357

Senior Moderator

Question Decisions: Ruger LCR versus Ruger LCR X and 38 versus 357

The LCR I am carrying (my wife's) has a few specifications I like:

LCR in 38

Weight 13.5 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, could pocket carry and jacket pocket carry/shoot

LCR in 357

Weight 17.1 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 357, 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, could pocket carry and jacket pocket carry/shoot

Notes:

The above are Double Action Only, and other than the weight, identical. The weight difference is significant at 3.6 ounces, or 26.6% more, which would of course make it shoot a wee bit softer.

LCR X in 38

Identical to the LCR other than having Single Action capability:

Weight 13.5 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

LCR X in 357

Identical to the LCR in 357 other than having Single Action capability:

Weight 17.1 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 357, 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Notes:

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, pocket carry not recommended with hammer, could be bobbed

The above are Double Action Only, and other than the weight, identical. The weight difference is significant at 3.6 ounces, or 26.6% more, which would of course make it shoot a wee bit softer.

Summary:

For the sake of simplicity, I am leaning towards the LCR in 357 for the increase in weight with the added bonus (?) of 357 capability That gives me two revolvers exactly alike effectively, common calibers (which could actually be dangerous if inattentiveness crept in), but without single action capability.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I am obsessing about this, but that's me.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 2nd, 2020 at 01:48 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Of those (2) I would go with LCR X in .38 spl. That being said if a Colt Cobra or Detective Special were thrown into the mix I would go with one of those 6 shot models which are great shooters plus one more round capacity! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have a similar issue. I have the LCR in 9 mm but want to convert to the 38 SPL (don't like the moon-clips on the 9 mm). I believe the LCRx can be operated in the single action mode. I am not sure there is really any advantage to a .357 (no doubts comments will come about that). They are certainly good choices for pocket carry! Good Luck. Let us know what you finally decide.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry and LCR in .38 as my EDC. To me, it is the perfect pocket carry gun. It is light enough for pocket carry, has smooth edges, nothing to snag, and a great trigger. I like the gun so much, I have gone through the same process thinking about an upgrade. My thoughts have been:
    • It is never going to be target gun with the short barrel. I don't think you gain much going to the heavier frame.
    • The "experts" keep saying that you should never go single action with a revolver, as with the LCRX, but I don't buy that. Single action has its uses. It would never be my primary mode of defensive shooting with a revolver, but having the option might come in handy. But again, with the short barrel, how much difference would it make?

My choice, if I decide to buy one for holster carry, would be the LCRX 3" in .357. I would not load .357 into it, but definitely +P. I think with the longer barrel, and adjustable sights, you are moving into a situation where single action could give you somewhat of a precision shot option. You are also getting some muzzle energy advantage. My thought would be to continue with the lightweight LCR in a pocket holster for my lowest level of carry, the 3" LCRX in an OWB or shoulder holster for the next level up and both for a third level.

Just MHO, just going with the heavier frame and/or the hammer in the shot barrel doesn't provide enough advantage. I think it depends more on how you want to carry it and what you want to load it with, more than advantages in shooting it.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I’d say rent and try before you buy.

I can handle recoil of many guns from a 357 Magnum up to the 500 Magnum. But I couldn’t stand the recoil of 38 +P in my LCR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

My choice would be the LCR in 357. I don't consider the weight difference at all unless you pocket carry in lighter clothing. I see no need to handicap yourself with a hammer, even a bobbed hammer is a liability to me. I have shot quite a bit through pockets and while rare I have snagged even a bobbed hammer on material as it fired.
    If you think a single action option from a snubby gives you any real advantage I suggest you shoot one more. A 25 yard COM shot double action with as good a trigger as the LCR has is very doable with a little practice.
    I wish more manufacturers knew that and gave us more concealed hammer options like the Taurus 856.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I have an LCR327 that I love, and I wouldn't trade it for either the 38 or 357,

If I wanted another, I'd get the 357. The extra weight is a good thing.

As an aside Rock and Glock I have both 38 and 357 revolvers here and I always have my 38's marked in orange so I don't grab a reload of 357 by accident.
    I use orange quick strips and orange tape on the 38 reloads. All the 357 stuff is black.
    Decisions: Ruger LCR versus Ruger LCR X and 38 versus 357-642-2019.jpg

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    The 6 shot .327 is worth looking at. That round has some serious blast to it. Also the colt cobra and agent are 6 shot easy to conceal revolvers. I have the LCR .38 and .357 but favor a 6 round gun now.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    My primary carry is an LCR 38. A few years back I purchased an LCRx 38 for the option to belt carry it and have the option of single action. But I almost always just pocket carried the LCR and the LCRx just sat in my safe. So I sold the LCRx to a buddy who loves it and I don't miss it at all.

So in my estimation, if you're going to primarily pocket carry it, go for the original lighter weight LCR 38.

I went with the LCR in 357 because of my intended, niche, use for it. For me it's a winter carry pocket gun for heavy winter coats that slow my access to the also carried EDC guns. I went with no external hammer to reduce snagging on draws from coat pockets.

I also have an SP-101 357 with hammer, so know how to use my thumb on the back of the hammer to reduce snagging, but prefer the cleaner profile of no exposed hammer. I chose 357 because the few extra ounces are still less than my SP-101 which had been fine for winter coat carry, and because I prefer the extra terminal ballistics of 357 over 38.

Also, for me this is a contact distance gun. If I perceive enough time and distance to get my EDC out from under a coat I may choose to go straight to that instead.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Of the two, I think your leaning towards the 357 is a better choice. Your logic is spot on.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I would go with the LCR-38. Much lighter, the cost is a good deal lower, and lighter. Just not sure about the extra advantage of 357 with that short of a barrel.

If I was going for the 357 magnum, I would choose the 3" KLCRX. Three inches would make it worth using magnum rounds for me.

Having both an LCR and a 3" KLCR would be the ideal to me.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

For the sake of simplicity, I am leaning towards the LCR in 357 for the increase in weight with the added bonus (?) of 357 capability That gives me two revolvers exactly alike effectively, common calibers (which could actually be dangerous if inattentiveness crept in), but without single action capability.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I obsessed also with the same guns. So much so that I couldn't make a decision. Then I had this brainstorm and solved it all. I got ALL of them! Even the LCR .22lr. (why not)

Attachment 312816

I know what you're thinkin'...so which one - so which one? You haven't obsessed enough like I did. Give it more time and I'll get back to you. LMAO

(if you study the picture closely, you may be able to get a hint … it's there)
    Rock and Glock and drmordo like this.

Distinguished Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

LCR in 38

LCR in 357

LCR X in 38

LCR X in 357

Summary:

Any thoughts?

Of those four, no other options (LCRX in 3", LCR in 9mm, other brands), I would go with the LCR in .357. It's a bit heavier, and will be somewhat more pleasant to shoot, but still quite easy to pocket carry. "Hammer vs. 'hammerless'" is not a deal breaker, but the minuses of an exposed hammer in this sort of gun have been widely articulated elsewhere.

---edit to add---

And you should be shooting .38 through that LCR357.
    Last edited by lee n. field; February 3rd, 2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Wavygravy and Rock and Glock like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links