Pistol RMR tips?

Pistol RMR tips?

This is a discussion on Pistol RMR tips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been shooting/carrying for 20+ years, variety of platforms, calibers etc. Advancing years and aging eyeballs led me to milling the slide of my HK VP9 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Pistol RMR tips?

Pistol RMR tips?

Been shooting/carrying for 20+ years, variety of platforms, calibers etc. Advancing years and aging eyeballs led me to milling the slide of my HK VP9 and installing a Holosun RMR.

Got it zeroed in nicely at 20 yards from a rest but freehand it's quite a challenge to get fast, accurate hits at 10 yards within a five-inch circle. Biggest issue is finding the dot in the little window after draw or low ready. Follow up shots are not so bad.

Any tips?

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Been shooting/carrying for 20+ years, variety of platforms, calibers etc. Advancing years and aging eyeballs led me to milling the slide of my HK VP9 and installing a Holosun RMR.

Got it zeroed in nicely at 20 yards from a rest but freehand it's quite a challenge to get fast, accurate hits at 10 yards within a five-inch circle. Biggest issue is finding the dot in the little window after draw or low ready. Follow up shots are not so bad.

Any tips?

Put the front sight where it needs to be and the dot will be there too. Don't chase the dot. If the dot is not visible as soon as you look, it means you did not present that well and the iron sights are off too. One thing I learned is that training to use the red dot made me present the pistol better and that makes you faster(with or without a red dot).

Not sure if I explained that well for you but I tried.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Dry fire draw practice.

Slowly draw and present, in one smooth and very slow motion until the dot is visible. Then hold that position to lock in muscle memory. Remember what that wrist angle feels like. Repetitively press out to that same wrist angle. Eventually it will become habit, but it does seem to take more repetition at first than open sights.
    rocky, G26Raven, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Put the front sight where it needs to be and the dot will be there too. Don't chase the dot. If the dot is not visible as soon as you look, it means you did not present that well and the iron sights are off too. One thing I learned is that training to use the red dot made me present the pistol better and that makes you faster(with or without a red dot).

^^^^. This is good advice ^^^^

The first time MMinSC said this, I was new to red dots so I tried it, and it really helps.
    MMinSC likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Dry fire draw practice.

Slowly draw and present, in one smooth and very slow motion until the dot is visible. Then hold that position to lock in muscle memory. Remember what that wrist angle feels like. Repetitively press out to that same wrist angle. Eventually it will become habit, but it does seem to take more repetition at first than open sights.
    That confirms what I've noticed in my recent dry fire practice. I'd been using a laser for the past six or eight months or so and, while fast and accurate, I've gotten sloppy in consistent grip and presentation.

graydude likes this.

I did the red dot pistol thing for a while. Within 15 yards, I didnt see it giving me any benefit. If I was shooting for super accuracy, like a dot torture drill, or out at a distance, it was helpful. Other than that, wasnt a huge fan.
    dennis40x, G26Raven and Bad Bob like this.

Skippys What size dot dsoes your holosun have . Many red dots have moa size of 2 to 4moa . Most times that's too small to learn to use quickly or ever use well at all on a defensive handgun . 2moa 3 moa are great for more accurate shooting when hunting or on a carbine . Defensive or uspsa match most pros use a 6 to 8moa dot as its still a small dot at 25 yards specially if you lower the dots intensity and a 8MOA only covers 2moa at 25 yards . I've hunted with a 2moa dot since '78 on a revolver I hunt with and my wife has used a 3moa dot on her ruger 22lr pistol for many years but our defensive pistols with dot optics use a 6moa dot but those PISTOLS ARE STILL FOR THE FUTURE NOT FOR TODAY as we are 64 years old and wear trifocals or progressives !! Other wise it might take a knee high pile of brass and a 6 to 8 moa dot to become natural .

Distinguished Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    good advice here. I'm going to add what I learned and do. Gabe Suarez has an excellent red dot class that will have you able to use this beby rather quickly. Basic technique that you have already mastered is the key. Several have said to find the front sight as normal and they are correct. Use the motor skills you already have and find the front sight as normal IF you have adjusted the dot to be collated with the sight it Will be right there.
    Where the red dot is really good from the start is the ability to shoot distance. We are talking the hallway of a school, the asile of a Church, the entrance to many Malls.
    Remember you may have two kinds of immediate targets, an individual attack on you often at close range, and the attack on groups which is often at a distance. I carry two EDC handguns a Glock 17 and a HK P2K both have RMR red dots. Then I have a backup in a ankle holster.
    MMinSC and G26Raven like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post

Based on my experience, you nailed the explanation
    MMinSC and Rockymonster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Skippys What size dot dsoes your holosun have . Many red dots have moa size of 2 to 4moa . Most times that's too small to learn to use quickly or ever use well at all on a defensive handgun . 2moa 3 moa are great for more accurate shooting when hunting or on a carbine . Defensive or uspsa match most pros use a 6 to 8moa dot as its still a small dot at 25 yards specially if you lower the dots intensity and a 8MOA only covers 2moa at 25 yards . I've hunted with a 2moa dot since '78 on a revolver I hunt with and my wife has used a 3moa dot on her ruger 22lr pistol for many years but our defensive pistols with dot optics use a 6moa dot but those PISTOLS ARE STILL FOR THE FUTURE NOT FOR TODAY as we are 64 years old and wear trifocals or progressives !! Other wise it might take a knee high pile of brass and a 6 to 8 moa dot to become natural .
    It's the 507c green dot with the 2moa dot and 32moa reticle. Turning up the brightness gives an apparent larger dot, same as on my rifle. The 32moa reticle pretty much covers the target at 15 yards, so I haven't used it much.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Red dots take time (drawing and dry fire practice) to get your draw stroke to where the dot is always in your field of vision. I found that if I first bring the red dot equipped pistol up in a compressed position to what I loosely refer to as a line between my eyes and the target, and then extend the pistol to a shooting position, that it is much easier/faster to pick up the dot. If I start extending the pistol as soon as I draw it from the holster and before it is at eye level, I am much slower getting on target. This may not work for everybody, but it works for me.
    MMinSC, graydude and G26Raven like this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I ran a RMR02 on an FNP45T as my duty weapon for several years starting around 2011. The key to getting your dot lined up is your draw and presentation, you want to draw straight up in front of you and press it out into your line of sight, superimposing the dot on the target. If you have suppressor height sights on your gun you can cowitness the dot with them and start by looking for the sights, the dot will be there, with practice you'll get used to seeing it there and you can begin to keep your focus on your target. It takes practice and getting used to but the effort pays off, it's like point shooting at longer distances.
    MMinSC likes this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

WEEK TWO UPDATE: WHAT I'VE LEARNED SO FAR.

Consistent grip from holster or low ready to line of sight. Mucho dry fire to bring the gun up where it needs to be, trigger press as soon as dot is on target, no hesitation.

Last edited by Skippys; February 9th, 2020 at 07:46 AM.
    graydude likes this.

I have a Glock 19 MOS with a Trijicon RMR and supressor iron sights. I carried it for about a year. It definitely took time to learn to reliably acquire the dot. It worked well, but I could not see any significant advantage for me personally over a traditional pistol with iron sights.

I am sure someday, I will probably need the red dot in order to shoot acceptably well, but that day has not arrived yet....
    You are your own first responder.

Lead Moderator
    Once you can draw with your eyes closed and present, open you eyes and see your dot without adjusting you are fairly dialed in.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links